• April 23, 2024, 11:06:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Power Management  (Read 5390 times)

kdm

• Level 1 Member
Power Management
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »

I have set the hard drives to turn off after 30 minutes.  This happens provided that neither of the 2 computers I have on the network are awake.  Waking either computer also, after a while (a few minutes), starts the hard drives spinning in the NAS even though the computers are not accessing the NAS.  Is this some unavoidable aspect of running a network or can I do something to allow the NAS hard drives to remain off until data is written to or read from the NAS?

The set up is a Windows XP computer, a Vista computer, DIR-655 router and DNS-323 NAS running 1.03 firmware.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Power Management
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 05:35:19 AM »

Some application or utility on your computer is accessing the DNS-323 - the behaviour that you describe is not normal.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

kdm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »

Thanks, I'll try and narrow it down.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:33:41 AM »

If you are using the print server you may have print jobs in the stuck queue. Using firmware 1.04 there has been a Clear Print queue job button added to the status page with can help in this case.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

kdm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »

I'm not using the print server and deleted the .lpd folder for good measure.

The main problem was Restrospect Express HD backup software which for some reason accesses the hard drives network periodically when inactive but in the system tray.  I'll change to some other backup program.

The Vista notebook also sometimes wakes the DNS-323 drives but that isn't such a problem and I've no idea why it is doing it.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »

I have found that when I click on status in the web interface that this now spins up one drive (1.04) where as previous firmware (1.03) did not spin up any drives when getting the status.

Unit has 2 x 500GB WD in RAID 1 configuration.

Rodney