• March 29, 2024, 01:37:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DNS 320 and OS X 10.6  (Read 72728 times)

dream_theater_

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS 320 and OS X 10.6
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:25:40 AM »

Finally i got it.... Thank you so much!

Yes and about the new firmware. The main changes concern the interface, but now when they are aware about the "OS X problem", they will work out a solution for that as well. They asked me if they were allowed to call me if they had any questions (for some reason?:)), and they told me they were on it right now. Obviously they experienced the same problem when they tried to use a mac.

I wonder why they don't try their new hardware with at least ONE mac computer?

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »

Finally i got it.... Thank you so much!

Yes and about the new firmware. The main changes concern the interface, but now when they are aware about the "OS X problem", they will work out a solution for that as well. They asked me if they were allowed to call me if they had any questions (for some reason?:)), and they told me they were on it right now. Obviously they experienced the same problem when they tried to use a mac.

I wonder why they don't try their new hardware with at least ONE mac computer?

Yep, seems very strange that it doesn't work on Mac since the device is sold as Time Machine compatible... I really really hope they solve the issues in this firmware.

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »

The D-link support says today that the new firmware will be released during January or February, no specific date is known right now. Let's hope the release will solve the mac issues... Apparently there will be changes in the web interface to look more like the boxee with apps. Interesting!

sWirL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 05:56:20 AM »

v1.01 Beta firmware is out....  ;D

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 06:00:54 AM »

v1.01 Beta firmware is out....  ;D

Where can you find that? I checked in Sweden, Germany and France but it's not there...

sWirL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 06:02:46 AM »

Where can you find that? I checked in Sweden, Germany and France but it's not there...

Oh sorry.. I'm from Singapore.

But somehow it's dated 26 Nov 2010. *shrug*

http://www.dlink.com.sg/support/support_detail.asp?idproduct=477

Probably it won't work for other sets. Sorry to bring your hopes up.

Biffy_rok

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »

Hi tarblak, I've been following your posts for days and followed instructions down to the letter. After setting up the nfs, then trying to open on my Mac I get the error 'the folder cannot be opened as you don't have permission to see it's contents'. Any help would be appreciated, I really like the product when using with a pc, but when I get mac out I end up pulling my hair out.
Thanks

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 01:14:55 AM »

Hi tarblak, I've been following your posts for days and followed instructions down to the letter. After setting up the nfs, then trying to open on my Mac I get the error 'the folder cannot be opened as you don't have permission to see it's contents'. Any help would be appreciated, I really like the product when using with a pc, but when I get mac out I end up pulling my hair out.
Thanks

I got that error also when I set it up. I think (if I remember correct) that restart of the mac solved the problem. Otherwise, could it be that you have set permissions to the share on the NAS? You have to have the share wide open.

Biffy_rok

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »

yer the share settings were the problem, cannot believe i didnt figure that one out. Its all working now. Thanks for your help!

Biffy_rok

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 11:37:31 AM »

Hi there everyone! Ive had success with the NFS setup, thanks to Tarblak, but can find no way to use this for a time machine backup. The AFP service seems useless for this, I think its something to do with the permissions on the NAS, I was just wondering if anyone had had any luck?

Considering that i bought the DNS-320 primarily as a backup server for my 3 PC's its more than a little annoying that the DNS-320 backs up my windows 7 and ubuntu machines, but not the mac. The DNS-320 is advertised specifically as working with time machine. I do hope there will be a useful firmware update soon, COME ON D-LINK don't make me do a return.

Any help would be appreciated...

Ben

cocomo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »

I think the beta firmware has appeared on the uk ftp site

ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dns/DNS-320/firmware/

edit: successfully updated on my dns 320

interface is different but smb and afp still do not work in os x 10.6
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:32:26 PM by cocomo »

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »

I just tested 2.00 build 06 (the one from UK site) and both SMB and AFP work fine on 10.6. For AFP do the following;

1. Go into Management > Application Management > AFP Service.
  - Disable AFP
  - Save Settings (then click OK)
  - Enable AFP (then click OK)

2. Go to Applications at the top
  - Click Local Backups
  - Click Time Machine
  - Check Time Machine
  - Setup Time Machine share
  - Check your Time Machine on MacOS.

I was fully capable of connecting to both SMB/AFP and having time machine show up in the list of backup options.

cocomo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 11:22:18 PM »

I'll give that a try later but it certainly wasn't working for me.

ckarvonen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 04:14:33 AM »

Here's another location for the 2.00b6 fw, with release notes.

ftp://ftp.dlink.fr/DNS/DNS-320/Firmware/Firmware_2.00/

I'm on OSX 10.6.6, and testing the beta fw right now. The 1.00 was really buggy for me, hanging the Finder when using both AFP and SMB.

Is it possible to disable the SMB service altogether?

Edit: Okay, I enabled UPnP on my router, maybe this has an effect on things? Then I manually connected to the AFP-share, instead of just clicking on it in the sidebar (which for some reason always connected as CIFS), and it seems to work better.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:05:53 AM by ckarvonen »

cocomo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 01:19:29 PM »

Yes it seems to work better if you connect manually through finder. Using through finder is still buggy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3