• March 29, 2024, 01:04:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to home wi-fi  (Read 10242 times)

Rodddo

• Level 1 Member
Cannot connect to home wi-fi
« on: December 31, 2015, 05:58:12 PM »

Hi all,

Bought one of these for Xmas and was looking forward to getting it up and running.

I've downloaded the app and tried to add a new device.  Going through the "manual" process, I connect to the smart plug however when I get to the stage where it asks me to select my home wi-fi network, this is where it falls apart.

My home wi-fi network is showing, I click on it and it asks for my password. After I enter my password and click next, the message I get is "Please select another wi-fi network". The only option here is to click "OK" which takes me back to the screen asking to select my wi-fi network. So I cannot progress any further with the set up.

I've tried calling support but they don't know and say that they have to escalate my query to "level 2".   Support also seems to be somewhere overseas so I am finding it difficult to find the right time to call/take their calls.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

pzelenka

• Level 1 Member
Re: Cannot connect to home wi-fi
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 12:54:14 AM »

Hi,

try to reset the plug and repeat the setup process again.

Pavel

Rodddo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 04:29:56 AM »

Hi,

try to reset the plug and repeat the setup process again.

Pavel

Thanks Pavel.  I have tried that but with no success.

I have also tried it on iOS and Android devices with no success.  I've had a look at the set up videos posted by various users on YouTube and the app they are using looks to be a different app.

I'm using My D-Link Home so wondering if there is another app I should be using?

Kryptokrates

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »

This should be the right one for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dlink.mydlinkmyhome

I had a similar issue with an Android device and manual setup. After setting up the home-network the app closed itself without any notice. I installed it on another device and at the same step it started to update the firmware. After completion it worked on both devices.
Another possible pitfall could be a MAC-filter on your router? Have you checked this?

Rodddo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:38:32 PM »

Thanks Krypto...

I just got off another support call and this time they are saying it is my modem that's the problem and that I need to "increase the wireless channels on the modem."

I'm not entirely sure what that means as searching only brings up changing channels on the modem and not increasing channels.

:'(

pzelenka

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »

It is really weird. Are you sure that DHCP server has no restrictions to assign IP address to devices? What encryption do you use on your wifi?

HaveBlue

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »

As I recall, the plug does not support WEP. If you are using WEP try changing your router to WPA/WPA2 or even open to try it out.