• April 18, 2024, 03:14:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Question - How does firmware upgrade in Mydlink Lite app works?  (Read 3424 times)

happyhere

• Level 3 Member

Hi there,

How does the Firmware upgrade work on the myDlink Lite app?
Is this safe to run even my DCS camera is connected to wifi?

Thanks.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Question - How does firmware upgrade in Mydlink Lite app works?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:56:01 AM »

The mydlink Lite application compares the installed FW version on the registered cameras to the latest version available for each model. If a newer version is detected, the mydlink service pushes the new firmware to the camera.

The process is safe to the extent that you feel confident that your wireless and Internet connections are stable.  Risk is introduced whenever you are relying on external network connections and stable wireless signals.

DCS Network Cameras - My Camera Doesn't Work Following a Failed Firmware Update
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

tks

• Level 1 Member
Re: Question - How does firmware upgrade in Mydlink Lite app works?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:40:06 AM »

All device manufacturers advise against doing firmware update when your device is connected via WiFi. A wired connection is advised.

I am not sure what happens if you lose your wifi connection halfway through the firmware update of your drink camera. For one of my Linksys routers, it bricked the router beyond repair. I had to throw it away.

Having said that, I have managed to do firmware update of my cameras using both wired and wifi connection. I did note that the process was slower when doing via wifi connection. I took a calculated risk, as the camera was mounted up on the ceiling and I was too lazy to take it down or pull a cable up. You have to decide whether you want to take the risk.