• April 26, 2024, 03:42:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Another DWA-160 (Rev. A1) with dropped connection problems :(...  (Read 8989 times)

ohaya

• Level 1 Member
Another DWA-160 (Rev. A1) with dropped connection problems :(...
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:26:05 PM »

Hi,

I just got a DWA-160 (Rev. A1).  I downloaded and installed the latest (1.40) drivers from Dlink's website, and got it working with my Netgear 5Ghz Access Point.

I mainly got this to work with that AP, and to stream video (Slingbox) but I am seeing the connection dropping every couple of minutes. 

I've also tested with a Buffalo WHR-G300N (2.4Ghz) router, and see similar problems.

Is there any hope of eliminating these problems for the Rev. A1 DWA-160 :(??

Thanks,
Jim

P.S.  I'm using Windows XP...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:28:42 PM by ohaya »

ohaya

• Level 1 Member
Re: Another DWA-160 (Rev. A1) with dropped connection problems :(...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:00:54 AM »

Hi,

This is really weird :(...

I disconnected the DWA-160, and re-enabled the built-in wireless (an Intel 2200BG) and connected to my Buffalo 11G router.  Then, watching video on my Slingbox, no more connection drops.  Also, with the DWA-160 and my Netgear 5Ghz AP, I was barely getting 2000kbps according to the Slingplayer.  Now, with the Intel 2200BG and my 11G router, Slingplayer is showing ~3900kbps (and climbing).

So:

DWA-160 -> Netgear 5Ghz AP = dropped connections + ~2000kbps

Intel 2200BG -> Buffalo 11G router = no dropped connections + ~3900kbps

Jim

ohaya

• Level 1 Member

Hi,

For those of us who have been having problems with dropped connections with a Rev. A1 DWA-160, take a look at the info I posted here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23109466-Streaming-over-11n-dropped-connections-

Hopefully, this info will help, and so, if anyone with a Rev. A1 DWA-160, please post how this works for you if you try it.

Later,
Jim

ohaya

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »

Hi,

If anyone from Dlink happens to read these forums:

As I mentioned on that DSLreports.com thread, the settings that I tried came from another DSLreports.com thread.  That original thread mentions that the poster, "vimy" got those settings from D-link Tech Support!!

What I'm wondering (out loud) is:  These settings, which apparently came from D-link, seem to have benefit for people trying to stream, and that original thread was from 2007.  It seems that, if D-link has what appears to be an "ok", but not great, workaround for some of these dropped connection problems, which works even for customers who have the Rev. A1 DWA-160 adapters, why doesn't D-link make this info more readily available to try to help D-link's customers?

I'm assuming that these same settings wouldn't be effective in all "dropped connection" situations, but I was just about ready to throw my DWA-160 (Rev. A1) away, chalking it up to just a "wasted experience".  Now, at least, I feel like I have a dual-band 802.11N adapter that is "useable".

Sorry for opining, but JMHO...

Jim

P.S.  Over an hour of "continuous" (albeit with some intermittent brief "jerkiness") streaming video now, and no dropped connections...  ALL RIGHT :)!!

abugg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:47:52 PM »

Hi,

This is really weird :(...

I disconnected the DWA-160, and re-enabled the built-in wireless (an Intel 2200BG) and connected to my Buffalo 11G router.  Then, watching video on my Slingbox, no more connection drops.  Also, with the DWA-160 and my Netgear 5Ghz AP, I was barely getting 2000kbps according to the Slingplayer.  Now, with the Intel 2200BG and my 11G router, Slingplayer is showing ~3900kbps (and climbing).

So:

DWA-160 -> Netgear 5Ghz AP = dropped connections + ~2000kbps

Intel 2200BG -> Buffalo 11G router = no dropped connections + ~3900kbps

Jim

I experienced the exact same problems with performance but no connection issues. Same scenario with all driver versions.
 I had worse performance with my DWA-160 than with an old school 11b card.

Please let me know if anyone finds a way to make this wireless adapter usable for anything practical