• April 16, 2024, 01:22:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: SMB USB drive deconnexion  (Read 1858 times)

ChatonP

• Level 1 Member
SMB USB drive deconnexion
« on: January 09, 2020, 09:27:26 AM »

Hello There,

I have a 2TB USB drive connected to the DIR-882 USB 3.0 and SMB setup on my laptop and on an Android box
This setup is working well for few hours, maybe a bit more than a day even..
But every two day(ish) I have to unplug and plug back the USB drive or even reboot the router to be able to access it.

On windows explorer the drive appears to be simply disconnected, sometimes I can wake it up by clicking on it but my torrent uploads are fuc***
And on the Android box, even if I manage to wake the drive on windows, I get a "not enough ressources" error and need to reboot the router to access it again

Any idea on how to resolve this instability ?
Am I doing something wrong, Is there a advanced setting that I'm missing ?
Thanks

me_iauras

• Level 2 Member
Re: SMB USB drive deconnexion
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 12:11:31 PM »

The USB support implemented in the router is laughable at best ; however if restarting the router helps you can schedule a daily restart (Management>System Admin>System>Auto Reboot) .
I would however try to put the torrent client on the Android box/mini PC ; I'm thinking that the android box is an always on device as opposed to the PC and maybe keeping the drive in use by seeding all the time would keep alive the process in charge of SMB on the router (you could connect to the torrent client on the android box via web or with another torrent client in a headless server configuration)

ChatonP

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 01:28:26 PM »

Damn it... I specially upgraded to this router for the USB support ^_^

Well I think you are right, maybe I should connect the USB drive directly to the android box and have the torrent client on it
I did that at first but managing the torrent on the box was a pain in the ass
I didn't even think I could manage the client via web, I might explore that path.

In that case (USB drive connected to box > router < laptop) Do you know if it will be possible to have the drive shared as if it was a network drive and access it from the laptop ?
Sorry I suck at theses things, but thank you for your suggestion

me_iauras

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 02:14:35 PM »

My suggestion wasn't to connect the HDD to the android PC ; just that in place of the torrent client residing on  your windows PC you would have it on the https://www.androidauthority.com/best-torrent-apps-android-711563/ (from your first post I understood that you did map the network share on the android box already so you could theoretically use it there just as with your PC as a target path for your torrent downloads) ; you'll have to try/research which of the options have web management but at least uTorrent should ( with uTorrent you should be able to connect to it also in a server-client configuration with the server being your android box and the client/management interface uTorrent on the PC or at least you could use uTorrent remote https://www.utorrent.com/remote/ ) ; client-server is how I manage the Transmission torrent on my NAS with the Transmission torrent client on my PC (the only difference being that instead of connecting to a local service/daemon on the notebook it's connection to the daemon on The NAS  ).

Regarding connecting the HDD directly to the Android box that would at least be better in terms of performance I assume ( write speed on the router is ~7 MB/s in 90+% of the time and just when the moon and the sun align then it will go to ~27 MB/s  ) . Sharing it over the network might be harder though as there is no native Android support for it (maybe your box has something but stock Android doesn't) . You could try installing WebDAV Server https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver&hl=en server on it (here's how https://www.techrepublic.com/article/add-a-webdav-server-to-your-android-device/) and after that the WebDAV directory can be mapped in Windows just like a SMB/FTP share .
You could also try to install something like ServerUltimate https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.serversultimate and enable the SMB server module .
You'll have to try to see which option gives you better results but my guess is that with some fiddling the experience would be better on with the Android mini PC than with the router ; for media consumption you could install PLEX server on it and a PLEX client on your smartTV and have some nice features enabled (or you could just put a DLNA server like BubbleUPnP/Twonky if you don't need the added features of PLEX and just want basic streaming up & running as any smartTV worth it's salt in the last decade has a built'in DLNA client)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.