• April 23, 2024, 12:15:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-601 Lacks support for extended characters.  (Read 2972 times)

sstahlman

• Level 1 Member
DIR-601 Lacks support for extended characters.
« on: December 13, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »

So don't waste your time trying.

I bought a DIR-601 to replace my aging DI-624.  The DI-624 supported extended characters, allowing me an appropriate Sindarin SSID for LAN parties.  The DIR-601 doesn't seem to.  Certain I must be doing something wrong (after all, the 601's a newer product...) I contacted support, which told me:

Though your previous DI-624 worked with extended characters, D-Link does not support the use of extended characters in the SSID.

Now, while using a Tolkien language is somewhat out there for most people, using their actual CITY name isn't.  I live in Caňon City, Colorado.  Trying to set one's SSID to something like:
Caňon City Wifi (obviously more typical is 'cafe' or 'Hotel' for the last word)
turns into this:
43611486f6e20436974792057696669
in the SSID setting.

Presumably D-Link doesn't sell hardware to other countries?  Or, for that matter, typically in parts of the US with large Spanish speaking demographics? 

This isn't a big matter, and I'm posting as a heads up to anyone else wondering why their SSID is invalid, if it has extended characters, but it does make me wonder about the quality of the product.  I stuck with D-Link without really doing much research, based on my satisfaction with previous equipment.  However, the fact that new products come with LESS capability (what's with the 15 seconds to apply every change, also?) encourages me to look elsewhere with future buys.  /nerd-rage