• March 28, 2024, 09:20:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What BackUp Software do you use & WHY?  (Read 11568 times)

JumboShrimp

• Level 1 Member
What BackUp Software do you use & WHY?
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:14:01 AM »

Hi All
I am having REAL trouble with Acronis True Image Home 2012 - WILL NOT back up properly to my DND-323 (2 - 1TB Westrern Digital running RAID-0, PC is running Win XP pro SP3).  The NAS functionality issue is all over the Acrinis forum and it just doesn't work reliably.
Unfortunately, I like Acronis but until they fix it I need to get another App to backUp my files - I've been messing with this for months & the work-arounds are not worth the hassle!  The only reason I stay interested it ATIH 2012 is for the 'version chain' feature they offer in backup choices - I like that!

SO...

What do you use? How are you configured (RAID-wise)? And Are you happy with your choice?
I have no problem Wiping the whole thing & starting over if that's what I need to do - even using a different RAID level.
Also, after upping Firmware to 1.10 I cannot see the data on the 323!? just started this AM - worked fine yesterday.  GOD, I hate computers sometimes!!
Thanks for any help

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: What BackUp Software do you use & WHY?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:45:43 AM »

First - get rid of that RAID0 array - there's no perfomance improvement, so all it's doing is doubling your risk of data loss.

Second - I haven't used Acronis True Image recently, but the previous versions worked flawlessly, so consider downgrading.

Now - the main reason I no longer use True Image is I find "image backups" to be just short of worthless - it'll save you from a disk failure, but as your system degrades (and all Windows systems do), your backup image includes that degradation - so - I backup my data, rather than my entire system.

To backup my data I use the scheduled download feature built-in to the DNS-323's firmware.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

JumboShrimp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 07:04:38 AM »

Fordem, Thanks for the reply
So, what RAID (if any) 'Should' I use?
I've been having trouble mapping the drive since firmware upgrade.  I have to use DLink's easy search Util to map it but NOW, the drive doesn't show up in the bottom - drive mapping - section.  Now, I can't see whats on the drive!?

I can see it in the HTML config page but that's all.
Status says...

Volume Name:    Volume_1
Volume Type:    Standard
Total Hard Drive Capacity:    -1 MB
Used Space:    0 KB
Unused Space:    0 MB

Something ain't right!!  I'm going crazy here - all I want is reliable backup.  Once I get this back to good I WILL try the built in scheduler
Should I downgrade my dlink firmware?
Any suggestions would be VERY much appreciated!

JumboShrimp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 07:45:02 AM »

I know its Off topic but went back to FW 1.09 and the data on the drive is now returned

Total Drive(s):    2

Volume Name:    Volume_1
Volume Type:    RAID 1
Sync Time Remaining:    Completed
Total Hard Drive Capacity:    981858 MB
Used Space:    277436 MB
Unused Space:    704422 MB

Any more thoughts on back-up SW and Raid config?  I'd really like to fix this for keeps!!

JumboShrimp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »

Anybody??

What do you use? How are you configured (RAID-wise)? And Are you happy with your choice?

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 06:07:24 AM »

Anybody??

You may want to read this sticky post regarding the pros and cons of different HDD configurations: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=46510.0
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:09:19 AM »

I have mine setup in RAID1.  I used to use Acronis without issues, but like others have pointed out, I have moved away from image backups. 

I now use Karen's Replicator to copy my data to the NAS.

Regards,

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

JumboShrimp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »

These are GREAT answers - but they also make me think (Not Good!)

Since Acronis is marginal and RAID is NOT what REALLY works - keep in mind, all I want is reliable backed up data, Then how do I really get the most out of the DNS-323?

I DL'd Karen's replicator and will mess with it.

Should I Re-configure the 323 as JBOD? And if that's really all I'm gonna use it for why not just get a DOBRO USB Drive array and find a use for the 323 that'll be more suited to it's ability & power?

I have a little 320GB USB drive that Acronis sees and talks to perfectly - just too small.  That's why I got the 323 - More room for files (backed up files)

Are there advantages to setting it to JBOD- (not mentioned in Java Lawyer's sticky)

This is getting a little over my head but I plan to learn from this dialog - I hope others can learn too.
Thanks SO much for your time
Mike

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »

My recommended approach is to maintain two Standard Volumes and use a scheduled backup solution where Volume_1 backs up to Volume_2.

You can accomplish your scheduled backup objectives through a combination of the on-board scheduling software or third-party software (if you are so inclined).

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »

You may also want to take a look at SyncBack, an exceptional and very powerful/configurable backup solution. The free version is fully functional for a limited number of devices on your LAN.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »

JBOD is as bad as RAID0 for data storage purposes - if you lose either drive you can kiss ALL the data goodbye.

I also get rather upset when I see comments like "RAID is NOT what REALLY works" - do your homework, find out what the product or feature is supposed to do and how it should be used, and then make an intelligent decision.

A NAS is designed to be used for storage to be accessed via a network, and in most cases by multiple users - if Acronis has a problem with writing images to a NAS, then take it up with Acronis - although - I can't help but wonder if the reported "problems" are actually Acronis related (since you say it sees and talks to your USB external drive perfectly) or to the network across which it's being used.

Wireless networks do not handle bulk data transfers gracefully, and you obviously have images large enough that a 320GB external drive is inadequate.  The last backup I did with Acronis was a 65GB image - not something I want to transfer via wireless at all.

There are different RAID levels, intended to fill different needs, and RAID, in general, works - I've been using RAID in some form or fashion for close to two decades, and will not consider implementing any server or storage solution which doesn't have redundant disks.

For what it's worth - my data is stored on a server with a RAID5 array, and backed up to a DNS-323 with a RAID1 array
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 05:34:10 AM »

As Fordem points out, RAID is a desirable solution for redundancy, but only if you already have another copy of your data on another physical HDD (or better yet, another physical storage device). If all your data (primary and backup) resides ONLY on your DNS-323, and you don't have an option for offloading your data to another device, then IMHO two Standard Volumes is the safest storage strategy.

JumboShrimp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »

Thanks for the replys - I really appreciate the help.
If we can get back to my original, simple question, I guess its PART of doing my homework.  I'm pretty comfortable with computers - built lots of em, don't get viruses doing stupid stuff, etc.  I AM, however weak in the networking / shares / permissions / RAID department. 

All I want to know is ... IF you all use the 323 for data back up then how do you use it?

My problem - well documented on Acronis forums - is getting the 323 to work with acronis - so I'm quitting!  There are other apps out there.  No sense in trying a 'workaround' - they don't work.  I need to put data on the 323 - period.  I need it to be there should I have a system failure and I need to keep it current.  Maybe the 323 is the wrong tool for back ups - maybe RAID is the wrong protocol - I'd like someone to just say "do it like this and it'll work' - maybe that's a tall order.

Fordem - Wasn't trying to upset you with my Noob-Ness. This and other research IS my homework. I realize that I have more to do.  And I never mentioned a wireless network in my LAN - its ALL hardwired

Java - Could you explain the '2 standard volumes' thing in a little detail.  Do you mean each of the 2 drives in the 323 is an independent 'volume'? If so, how are the drives configured.  I'll look at SyncBack, I've heard of it but never used it.  I Downloaded Karen's replicator - been running non-stop since last night - Not sure I set it up right?!
Like I said before - I have NO PROBLEM starting over and going in a different direction if that'll get me the peace of mind I 'm looking for (reliable data backups)

Thanks again for the input and your patience & I hope others that read this can get something out of it as well.  Internet forums are a beautiful this in that respect
Mike

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »

If your original data is stored on another physical device and the DNS-323 is for backup only, then RAID-1 is a good solution. If your original data and backup data are stored on your DNS-323 (i.e. your data is not stored on another device), then I recommend formatting the DNS-323 as two indpendent HDDs and performing a scheduled backup between the two HDDs.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:23:25 PM by JavaLawyer »

JumboShrimp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »

If your original data is stored on another physical device and the DNS-323 is for backup only, then RAID-1 is a good solution.

That's what I have going on!
Got it!
I will experiment with SyncBack tonight.
THANKS!
Pages: [1] 2