• March 28, 2024, 08:47:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: "Connection has not been restored"  (Read 6065 times)

WeeWilly

• Level 1 Member
"Connection has not been restored"
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »

For a few months now I have been running a DNS-323 connected to a Linksys WRT54GS version 2 wireless router.  I run a desktop and laptop that are wirelessly connected to the DNS-323 through the router.  On each of these computers drive letter Z has been mapped to the DNS-323.   Operating system:  Windows XP 5.1 SP3.

The connection often works without a hitch.  However, randomly, when in trying to connect to the DNS-323 (for example, using Explorer) I fail with a message saying that connection Z has not been restored, or that "Z:\ is not accessible".  This is infuriating as I cannot discern what event triggers his unhappy outcome.  Remapping the drive solves the problem, and things will be fine until this happens again.

Suggestions anyone?

Many thanks.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: "Connection has not been restored"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:34:21 PM »

Suggestions?

Ditch the wireless  ;)

Seriously - try connecting using an ethernet cable for a while, if it fixes the problem, you'll know it is the wireless and I'll be happy to explain exactly what I think triggers it.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

WeeWilly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »

Thanks, fordem - this is a good suggestion, and DUH, one that I stupidly didna' think of myself!   Sorry for the delay in replying to you, but I was away for a time.  Regards.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »

yeah - how does it work wired?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

WeeWilly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 03:58:16 PM »

This will take a long time to check out, fordem.  After all, even wireless, this mapping was only lost from time-to-time, and several weeks could pass without the mapping's being dropped at all (although it could also drop two times in one week).  To illustrate, my mapping to the DNS-323 has not dropped since I posted my request asking for an explanation!   When it does, I shall hard connect to the router, per your suggestion, and try it out for a month or two. 

Incidentally - although it may well be related to this problem - I have recently changed my AV-protection because my response times had deteriorated to utterly unacceptable levels.  Since that change, my response times have reduced dramatically - specifically, to something between a tenth and a fifth of what they were.  Here, by "response time" I mean the time between entering a command (eg, clicking on an icon, or on a web page) and when the command is finished executing.

Thanks.