• April 26, 2024, 09:31:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Why do I get 130 Mbps only while connecting to the 2.4 MHz band?  (Read 6929 times)

sfincken

• Level 1 Member

Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm hoping some of you can help me shed some light on an issue I don't quite understand. I have read the stickies and browsed through all pages without finding a definitive answer to my question. It seems some people think the older Intel adapters are capable of reaching 300 Mbps speeds whereas others disagree...

I have two laptops connected to my DIR-855; one Lenovo T61P featuring an Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN network adapter and another Lenovo X301 featuring an Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN netwok adapter.

Both wireless bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) are set up using the exact same configuration settings:
- 802.11n only
- Auto channel scan enabled
- Transmission rate: best
- Channel width: Auto 20/40 MHz
- Security mode: WPA-Personal
- WPA mode: Auto (WPA or WPA2)
- Cipher type: TKIP and AES

When connecting the Lenove X301 laptop to the DIR-855 I get 300 Mbps in both wireless bands but when I connect the Lenovo T61P laptop I'm only getting 130 Mbps in 2.4 GHz mode whereas I do get 300 Mbps in 5 GHz mode.

Do any of you kind fellows know if it is possible to have the Lenovo T61P reach 300 Mbps in 2.4 GHz mode also?

Thanks!

sfincken

taz3d

• Level 1 Member
Re: Why do I get 130 Mbps only while connecting to the 2.4 MHz band?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:51:52 AM »

When your Intel wireless adapter only has 2 wireless antennas you must connect with 5ghz otherwise you only will get 130mbit.
Had the same problem with my Acer Aspire 5920g ( Intel 4965agn )

sfincken

• Level 1 Member
Re: Why do I get 130 Mbps only while connecting to the 2.4 MHz band?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »

Thanks a lot for your swift reply, taz3d!

It seems you're right. I just stumbled across this piece of information at the Intel website:

Friendly Neighbor Assurance
Supports 802.11n standard 40MHz channels only in 5GHz spectrum to minimize negative impact to legacy devices/networks nearby.

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/wireless/wireless_n/overview.htm