• March 29, 2024, 01:26:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Upgrade To Beta Firmware?  (Read 3847 times)

dallen

• Level 2 Member
Upgrade To Beta Firmware?
« on: October 15, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »

It is becoming more clear every month that passes that D-Link has all but given up on this unit with respect to developing new firmware.  My question is whether I should upgrade from firmware 1.03 to 1.04 beta?  The most significant issue that I have with my DNS-343 is an occasional lockup.  My understanding is that 1.04 beta has a workaround built in that should avoid this issue.

I would like feedback from the smart people in this forum so that I can make an educated decision about whether I should upgrade to 1.04 beta.  This unit is primarily used for storing media and is not "mission critical," but that does not mean that I want to lose my data.  Also, I hear some discussion about little quirks that arise and the proposed solution is often "reset to factory default settings."  If I do upgrade, is it advised that I should automatically reset to factory default settings to avoid encountering these quirks?  And if so, should I restore settings from a saved configuration file or should I redo them manually?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.  I only wish that D-Link was half as helpful as those of you in this forum.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Upgrade To Beta Firmware?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 04:27:12 AM »

My question is whether I should upgrade from firmware 1.03 to 1.04 beta? The most significant issue that I have with my DNS-343 is an occasional lockup. My understanding is that 1.04 beta has a workaround built in that should avoid this issue.

Based on my own personal experience with 1.04b (as well as the experiences of other members in this forum), there are no negatives associated with moving to firmware 1.04b. This version addresses the fan/lockup issue experienced by a significant segment of the DNS-343 user population as well as other smaller issues. That said, moving to 1.04b can only help.

Also, I hear some discussion about little quirks that arise and the proposed solution is often "reset to factory default settings."  If I do upgrade, is it advised that I should automatically reset to factory default settings to avoid encountering these quirks?  And if so, should I restore settings from a saved configuration file or should I redo them manually?

I always save a configuration file to a client PC (even if I'm not upgrading) as a precautionary measure - this way I can restore my custom settings if something goes awry. The upgrade from 1.03 to 1.04b should maintain your user settings, but you should still save the configuration file just in case something goes wrong. Reverting to the factory default firmware is not necessary to upgrade to firmware 1.04b.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:31:02 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

jburt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:50:21 PM »

Anyone know where Ic can get this 1.0.4b firmware? It is not on the support website. My unit keeps locking and freezing when my nightly backups are writing data to the unit.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »

You can download the firmware here: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13099.0
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC