• April 26, 2024, 02:21:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Range Extender  (Read 2238 times)

jladelfa

• Level 1 Member
Range Extender
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »

ugh.....little annoyed here.  Let me explain.

I live in a "in-laws" apartment, above a garage, next to a main house.  As of right now, I have my 655 in the main house, and surprisingly, I can pic up it's signal.  It doesn't really work though, as you might expect.  It's about 150 feet through tons of walls.

So, a while ago I got an old Linksys wireless router and installed a 3rd party firmware on it so I could use it as a wireless repeater.

It "works".  The problem is, it only works with little use.  If I'm downloading stuff, the connection drops.  I try to stream nextflix and download something?  Pffff, haaaaaa, yeah right.

So I've had enough.  There has to be a better way for me to do this.  Anyone have any ideas?

war59312

• Level 3 Member
    • Will's Blog
Re: Range Extender
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »

Good luck finding a working wireless n range extender.

You can fine 1 but wont work though "tons of walls".

I first tried power-line: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122233&Tpk=NETGEAR%20XAVB101

That got me up to 3MB/s and I could finally play games without lag and watch 720p HD. With 30 seconds of loading though and no way in heck it could play 1080p, would have to re-buffer every 20 seconds or so.

What will work is this bad boy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122243

Assuming you have cable?

I've been using a par since March 27, 2010 and could not be happier. My router is 1 floor down and over 10 walls away from my bedroom.

With this bad boy I now get 8MB/s. Yes that is megabytes. Before with just my 655 router I was lucky to get around 1MB/s and could not play games or HD at all due to drop outs and 5 minutes of buffering. uTorrent would also kill it instantly.

Now I have no issues maxing out my 16mbps/2mbps connection. :) No lag, no buffering. Plays 1080p perfect. In fact I can transfer a file at 5MB/s from my computer to the router and still watch a 1080p BluRay video at the same time without any lag or bugger thanks to the 655 smart QOS. Highly recommend you set that up right now!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:29:15 PM by war59312 »
God Bless America

jladelfa

• Level 1 Member
Re: Range Extender
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 01:16:18 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I may have to try one of those products out.  This old linksys router with the 3rd party firmware really isn't cutting it anymore....