• March 19, 2024, 02:08:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 Hard drive failure  (Read 2238 times)

2006soundman

DNS-323 Hard drive failure
« on: October 22, 2018, 03:54:51 AM »

Hi,

I have identified on my DNS-323 with latest firmware that it has a failed drive as the console tells me its always rebuilding.  I know the right drive is suspect.  After marking them both I mounted them on windows with Ext2 Vol Mgr and can see all data on my left drive is OK.  The right drive prompts a Data CRC error and I cant explore the drive after mounting.

Am I safe to format the suspect drive and replace it in the DNS-323 and allow it to auto rebuild OR could there be bad sectors?

cheers
John

2006soundman

Re: DNS-323 Hard drive failure
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:19:26 AM »

Also to add I put back my working drive only and powered the NAS back up and the wizard started up to recreate the RAID.  I skipped this and it no longer
presents my share.  When I mount my drive back on windows the data is there.   :-\

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: DNS-323 Hard drive failure
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »

First thing to do is make a backup of your data from the good drive to an external USB drive.  Then get a new same size drive (or two larger ones if you have need of more space).  Replace the good drive back in the slot you took it from and put the new drive in the other slot.  Power the unit on and hopefully it will rebuild the RAID 1 array.

If it doesn't just create a new array and copy your data back.  Remember the RAID array is a software RAID and is therefore sensitive regarding which slot a removed drive is returned to.

You can reformat the problem drive but, if you value your data, never use it in the NAS again.