• April 23, 2024, 06:09:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Help on better range.  (Read 2964 times)

Satch

• Level 1 Member
Help on better range.
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:34:55 AM »

Hello,

My current setup is DIR-655 with 1.21 firmware connected at 300 MBPS set on N only and a DWA-643 also with the latest firmware.

What I would like to do is to be able to pick my wireless up in another building that is app. 425 feet away.  There are only two walls involved, the outside wall on each of the buildings.  Has pretty good line of sight with only a couple of trees.  I am able to see from one building to the other.  I currently have the router side mounted to a window with a \ ! / antenna configuration.  From the reading I have done on this forum an antenna upgrade would seem to help.  My question is before I go out and start buying antennas or what ever it is that would help.  Would somebody be able to offer some input as to what might help me the best.

Thanks,

Michael

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Help on better range.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »

If there is a line of sight and windows facing eachother I would recommend directional antennas. 
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Satch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »

Any particular make or model antenna?  Would the rubber duck antennas be ok?  Indoor/outdoor?  I see antennas with anywhere from around 5 db. gain upto 15 db. gain.

Thanks for the input.

Michael

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 02:57:14 PM »

Get the rubber swan, does a much better job. And soak well before applying.  :)
More gain does not mean better connection. The gain also amplifies the noise. So you get more reach but also more noise.
A directional antenna is already quite specific, try googling for the antenna principles of omnidirectional (like the standard antennas on the DIR655) and directional (parabolic for example). You could also use an outdoor antenna, but this will also make your AP very vulnerable for war drivers since your signal will be broadcasted widespread.

You would have to make an assessment of your location, no crystal ball here. Walls (thick/thin conrete, wood?), can you see the entry location where the receiving antenna should be placed or do you have to go round the corner with the signal...Makes all the difference.

DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33