• March 28, 2024, 12:49:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems with OSX and DNS-323  (Read 11622 times)

martymcr

Problems with OSX and DNS-323
« on: November 13, 2008, 04:14:53 AM »

Hi

Recently bought a DNS-323 and I'm using it with OSX on a Mac.

I have a problem that the NAS regularly disappears from the network for a second or two, causing backups etc to fail.

Can anyone give me an idea as to what might be causing this?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Problems with OSX and DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:29:26 AM »

Can you provide more details - are you connecting to the DNS-323 over a wireless LAN?  Are you using a gigabit LAN?  (If yes, where did the cables come from?)  Have you tried it from a Windows system - does the problem occur with both Windows & OSX are with OSX and not with Windows?

We need to narrow down the problem area - I have not had problems such as you describe with my DNS-323 (I don't use a Mac so I haven't used it with OSX) and I don't belive they are common - so I don't see the DNS-323 itself as being a likely suspect and LANs (both wired & wireless) can cause disconnects to occur under heavy loads under certain conditions.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

martymcr

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:32:22 AM »

Hi

Sorry I should have given more info!

I have the DNS-323 cabled to a Gigabit switch and the Mac is also cabled to the same switch. I haven't tried changing the cables but will if you think that may be an issue.

I don't have a Windows machine, but can run Windows as a virtual machine on my Mac so will try that as well to see if the problem still occurs.

Would be interesting to hear from any other Mac users to see if it's something to do with the way the Mac handles the drive?

Thanks

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:38:25 AM »

Man - that was a quick reply!!!!

Cables can cause problems with gigabit networks, dependent on the length and quality of construction - I would be especially wary of "homemade" cables since there is a specific sequence of wire/pin required for proper noise cancellation - if not done correctly this causes a condition known as "split pairs" and such a cable may work well at 100mbs and cause no ends of trouble at 1000 mpbs.

martymcr

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:12:46 AM »

I've tried replacing all my cables with brand new short cables - still get the issue.

Tried turning off Jumbo Frames but that makes no difference.

Tried watching to see if it happens at a regular time/after so much data etc but no it's nicely inconsistent!

Has anyone else seen this behaviour on OSX? The Error I get on the Mac is the very helpful "-51" !!!

dirtbiker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:37:11 AM »

Hi,

1. I am guessing you have added the following command in a terminal window so the DNS-323 is visible in time machine:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

2. Make sure you have read and write access to the root directory of the DNS-323

3. Go, connect to server, smb://the_ip_address_of_your_DNS-323

4. Enter the username and password of the user that has been setup in the DNS-323 that has read and write access to the root directory. Save the password to your keychain.

5. Open time machine and set Volume_1 as your backup server.

6. Open a finder window looking at the Volume_1 directory on your DNS-323

7. Then see post #77 here http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1870721&page=6 for the info on copying the sparsebundle file to your desktop (before time machine fails), renaming the file on the desktop (removing .tmp from the file name) and then copying the file back to the Volume_1 directory on the DNS-323.

Cheers

martymcr

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:57:54 AM »

Hi,

1. I am guessing you have added the following command in a terminal window so the DNS-323 is visible in time machine:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

2. Make sure you have read and write access to the root directory of the DNS-323

3. Go, connect to server, smb://the_ip_address_of_your_DNS-323

4. Enter the username and password of the user that has been setup in the DNS-323 that has read and write access to the root directory. Save the password to your keychain.

5. Open time machine and set Volume_1 as your backup server.

6. Open a finder window looking at the Volume_1 directory on your DNS-323

7. Then see post #77 here http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1870721&page=6 for the info on copying the sparsebundle file to your desktop (before time machine fails), renaming the file on the desktop (removing .tmp from the file name) and then copying the file back to the Volume_1 directory on the DNS-323.

Cheers

Hi yes done all that and Time Machine works fine, but if I copy large amounts of data to the disk (e.g. 20 or 30GB) at some point (variable) it fails with the error 51 I mentioned.

Time Machine did initially keep failing with the same error, but as the incremental backups are now a lot smaller, it doesn't usually fail.

it's as though the DNS-323 vanishes from the Network every so often for a few seconds....

dirtbiker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 03:23:06 AM »

Hi,

Have you tried setting the NIC speed to 100 in the DNS-323?

Cheers

martymcr

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:28:37 AM »

No thanks for the suggestion - will give it a try later.

When I tried a cable direct from my Mac to the DNS-323 it seemed to be OK, but of course that's not a great deal of use as the rest of my network and the internet are then not available!

Thanks

peter_m

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:47:41 AM »

No one asked what version of the firmware you are running on the DNS-323 so I will... What version?

Do you share this network with WinXp or Vista PCs? Running TCP/IP v6 ?

Peter

martymcr

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:00:22 AM »

Hi

I'm on the latest firmware - 1.05

No I don't have any Windows machines on my network, and I'm on 'standard' TCP/IP!

Thanks

Soprano

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 06:00:35 AM »

I have the same problem, and its not just OS X. I have both Vista and OS X, and I am trying to copy 80 gigs of mp3s to the DNS-323 from Vista, and it keeps timing out. It seems like it goes into sleep mode. To get around this, I am using FTP but its taking FOREVER. Its connected to a gigabit switch. I am running the 1.05 fw.

I've done some research, and it seems like SMB might be the problem. I was thinking of trying NFS, but I can't seem to find a free solution for Vista.

martymcr

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:03:56 AM »

Hmm interesting! Glad to hear someone else gets the problem - I'll try logging it with D-Link when I get home later and see if they can offer any advice.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 06:10:04 AM »

No thanks for the suggestion - will give it a try later.

When I tried a cable direct from my Mac to the DNS-323 it seemed to be OK, but of course that's not a great deal of use as the rest of my network and the internet are then not available!

Thanks

If it works with a cable direct from the Mac to the DNS-323, that would point to network related problems

martymcr

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 06:23:46 AM »

Yes it would, but hard to say as the fault is intermittent.

Very frustrating!
Pages: [1] 2