• April 19, 2024, 07:17:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Same problems as every 1.3x build  (Read 16615 times)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Same problems as every 1.3x build
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 11:24:31 AM »

Ahh, nice to know ;D I've been playing with the DDWRT firmware lately so it's programmed into my brain already  :)

Anyways, router up 3 days since flash and still going strong. Any opinions on best pre 1.30xx nosecurespot FW? Thanks.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

ironic77

• Level 2 Member
Re: Same problems as every 1.3x build
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »

I thought I'd report back after a few months of running 1.22.

I ran it a while without too many issues, but still just enough gremlins when using OCS or LiveMeeting for conference calls, lag on Xbox, and other little things here and there.  I got fed up with it, and decided to buy a $15 Gig-E switch and hook it up to my old MN-700.  While the MN-700 doesn't have the rich features and speed that the DIR-655 has (and very noticable when downloading huge Blizzard updates, streaming Netflix movies, etc.), in the end, it's more stable, and less laggy.

For a while I have had the DIR-655 plugged in behind the MN-700.  The machine behind the DIR-655 has a definitely less reliable network, but in general, my DIR-655 reboots are non-existent.  But it makes sense, because the router is no longer doing much actual routing -- it is barely better than a dumb access point now.

I'm sorry, I'd rather have a slow connection with low latency than a high bandwidth connection that is unreliable and latent.  The DIR-655 is going on Craigslist.
Pages: 1 [2]