• March 19, 2024, 02:24:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: D-ViewCam - Wishlist  (Read 319651 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: D-ViewCam - Wishlist
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or overlooked anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent additions/changes are highlighted in blue. Items addressed on the latest software release are striked out.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest software release, please post and I'll update!

D-ViewCam Wishlist

• General - Release a Macintosh compatible version of D-ViewCam
  • General - Remove the minimum resolution requirement (1024x768)
  • Bug - "Exceed the Playback maximum channels" error message displays when using integrated support for 4 cameras
  • General - Remove requirement to disable UAC in order to use Console
  • General - Windows Home Server 2011 Support
  • Bug - Although the installer uninstalls the previous version, the application maintains all previous settings and cameras
  • Bug - Although the application supports playback for one or four local cameras, the "Exceed the Playback maximum channels" error-message persists]
  • Bug - Video deletion via backup does not purge the Record.log timing-info (i.e. activity bar in selection remains, but without recorded video). D-ViewCam v3.11 cleaned this file correctly following a backup/delete event
  • Bug - Video deletion does not purge empty folders when nothing is left (i.e. old recording dates). D-ViewCam v3.11 correctly addressed this issue
  • Bug - Playback.exe coredumps after high number of load-play actions within one session (le.g. loading 30 minutes; viewing that; and then getting next 30 minutes, and so on), roughly about 10 cycles [Memory leak?]
  • General - Provide a means to disable the pop-up dialog box providing an optimization-hint of using the OS HDD for primary storage
  • Bug - Backup (not Export) provides feedback of files copied into Backup-set, including required OK-press at end. Not very fast, and not suppressible
  • Backup - (and Playback-) Time-period selection now allows only 7 days max period. Was 30 days in D-viewCam3.11
  • Bug - With a large amount of free space left (hundreds of GB) it complains of lack of space, cleans up most stored recording data and stops scheduler. Happens on multiple boxes, mostly only once after upgrade, but is very annoying
  • Bug - UAC is required to be off before Console can be run, even though all data-paths are personalized to acceptable locations. Workaround is to run it in a VM environment where UAC can be off
  • Bug - Events (like signal lost) are not presented in the timeline

Wishlist Items Addressed by D-Link (Thank you!)

• TBD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:20:46 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Spione

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 02:31:20 AM »

I would like to be able to follow up on an event in real time.  When a motion event occurs I have to wait at least 5 to 10 minutes before I can view it in Playback. This implies viewing the video data stream from a buffer in memory until the disk file is closed.  It may be memory intensive but I really hate waiting so long before I can follow up on an event.  This would really make DVC more interactive and useful.

I would like to see I/O Device events (for example, from a PIR sensor) associated with each camera as an Event Type in the DateTime Search Dialog.

How about ONVIF support so I can add other IP cams?

The more I use DVC, the more I like it!  Keep up the good work.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »

I would like to be able to follow up on an event in real time.  When a motion event occurs I have to wait at least 5 to 10 minutes before I can view it in Playback. This implies viewing the video data stream from a buffer in memory until the disk file is closed.  It may be memory intensive but I really hate waiting so long before I can follow up on an event.  This would really make DVC more interactive and useful.

I would like to see I/O Device events (for example, from a PIR sensor) associated with each camera as an Event Type in the DateTime Search Dialog.

How about ONVIF support so I can add other IP cams?

The more I use DVC, the more I like it!  Keep up the good work.

Added all three items. I doubt D-Link will enable support for non-D-Link cameras given that this software is available at no cost.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 09:53:13 AM »

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or overlooked anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent additions/changes are highlighted in blue. Items addressed on the latest software release are striked out.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest software release, please post and I'll update!

D-ViewCam Wishlist

• General - Logging (and searchable) camera-specific I/O device events/dates
  • General - ONVIF support (for non-D-Link networked cameras)
  • General - Option to enable real time event notification (i.e. rather than the current time lag between event and system notification)
  • Bug - "Exceed the Playback maximum channels" error message displays when using integrated support for 4 cameras
  • Bug - Although the installer uninstalls the previous version, the application maintains all previous settings and cameras
  • Bug - Although the application supports playback for one or four local cameras, the "Exceed the Playback maximum channels" error-message persists]
  • Bug - Video deletion via backup does not purge the Record.log timing-info (i.e. activity bar in selection remains, but without recorded video). D-ViewCam v3.11 cleaned this file correctly following a backup/delete event
  • Bug - Video deletion does not purge empty folders when nothing is left (i.e. old recording dates). D-ViewCam v3.11 correctly addressed this issue
  • Bug - Playback.exe coredumps after high number of load-play actions within one session (le.g. loading 30 minutes; viewing that; and then getting next 30 minutes, and so on), roughly about 10 cycles [Memory leak?]
  • General - Provide a means to disable the pop-up dialog box providing an optimization-hint of using the OS HDD for primary storage
  • Bug - Backup (not Export) provides feedback of files copied into Backup-set, including required OK-press at end. Not very fast, and not suppressible
  • Backup - (and Playback-) Time-period selection now allows only 7 days max period. Was 30 days in D-viewCam3.11
  • Bug - With a large amount of free space left (hundreds of GB) it complains of lack of space, cleans up most stored recording data and stops scheduler. Happens on multiple boxes, mostly only once after upgrade, but is very annoying
  • Bug - UAC is required to be off before Console can be run, even though all data-paths are personalized to acceptable locations. Workaround is to run it in a VM environment where UAC can be off

• TBD

RooKiED

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 07:12:42 AM »

Hi.
First of all, thanks for this thread Javalawyer!
I have a few things to report.

-This software was originally thought and developed for 4:3 ratio (older type) resolutions. Nowadays, everything comes in 16:9 format, the cameras and the displays. Adding a 16:9 widescreen template/design would be not only refreshing, but a nice addition of viewing/working space by getting rid of the black bars at the sides.
Besides, related to this there are important visual bugs to consider:
-When set to fullscreen for viewing, the cameras images are stretched to cover the whole display (no black bars at the sides). The program thinks it's a 4:3 display, if owned a 16:9 monitor, this results in cameras looking deformed (wider), even the cameras with widescreen resolutions look awful. This bug would be easily addressed changing the algorithm from STRETCH to FIT the screen.
- In fact, in playback mode, there's a button to correct the aspect ratio. It works, but it would be great if the program remembered your choice for each camera. And by default the algorithm is to STRETCH (images in fullscreen are deformed), and it should be FIT.

Minor bugs:
- In playback mode, by default you're provided the 4 x 4 grid camera view. But you're not allowed to play more than one camera recordings at a time. So by default, it would be great to be provided the 1 x 1 single view and get rid of the 4x4 option, there is no need to split the screen.
- In playback mode, let's say you search by date and time (e.g. to see what happened 3 months ago), make a selection and then accept it, whenever you want to choose another period of time and you click the "open record" icon, you're thrown back to today's date. That's annoying, because you have to browse through the calendar again from zero. It would be great if the program remembered the date you chose previously and showed this instead.

Super wish, for which I'd probably need to find first a magic lamp  ;D
- It would be FANTASTIC if added a feature to the program that allowed the use of the full screen view as the windows desktop. This way we would have the cameras 'always on bottom'. This feature would make DViewCam the best surveilance software out there.

I own DCS-2121 and DCS-2130 (newer) cameras. If you need a better explanation or captures, I can post them.
I really hope the developer(s) address these issues, it's definitely worth it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:20:27 AM by RooKiED »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »

Hi.
First of all, thanks for this thread Javalawyer!
I have a few things to report.

-This software was originally thought and developed for 4:3 ratio (older type) resolutions. Nowadays, everything comes in 16:9 format, the cameras and the displays. Adding a 16:9 widescreen template/design would be not only refreshing, but a nice addition of viewing/working space by getting rid of the black bars at the sides.
Besides, related to this there are important visual bugs to consider:
-When set to fullscreen for viewing, the cameras images are stretched to cover the whole display (no black bars at the sides). The program thinks it's a 4:3 display, if owned a 16:9 monitor, this results in cameras looking deformed (wider), even the cameras with widescreen resolutions look awful. This bug would be easily addressed changing the algorithm from STRETCH to FIT the screen.
- In fact, in playback mode, there's a button to correct the aspect ratio. It works, but it would be great if the program remembered your choice for each camera. And by default the algorithm is to STRETCH (images in fullscreen are deformed), and it should be FIT.

Minor bugs:
- In playback mode, by default you're provided the 4 x 4 grid camera view. But you're not allowed to play more than one camera recordings at a time. So by default, it would be great to be provided the 1 x 1 single view and get rid of the 4x4 option, there is no need to split the screen.
- In playback mode, let's say you search by date and time (e.g. to see what happened 3 months ago), make a selection and then accept it, whenever you want to choose another period of time and you click the "open record" icon, you're thrown back to today's date. That's annoying, because you have to browse through the calendar again from zero. It would be great if the program remembered the date you chose previously and showed this instead.

Super wish, for which I' ;)d probably need to find first a magic lamp  ;D
- It would be FANTASTIC if added a feature to the program that allowed the use of the full screen view as the windows desktop. This way we would have the cameras 'always on bottom'. This feature would make DViewCam the best surveilance software out there.

I own DCS-2121 and DCS-2130 (newer) cameras. If you need a better explanation or captures, I can post them.
I really hope the developer(s) address these issues, it's definitely worth it.

Added...
Thanks for your input  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 07:35:11 AM »

D-ViewCam Wishlist

• General - Option to enable real time event notification (i.e. rather than the current time lag between event and system notification)
  • General - Add ability for D-ViewCam to remember previously searched dates/times for easy retrieval and review
  • View - Support for 16:9 aspect ratio cameras and 16:9 aspect ratio monitors/displays
  • View - Add global (and savable) view options: "Stretch to Screen" and "Fit to Screen"
  • View - Change default view to 1x1 grid camera view (versus the 4x4 grid camera view)
  • View - Add ability to set the full screen view as the Windows desktop background (rather than a static image)

• TBD

RooKiED

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »

If this is the exact list you give to the developer(s) and they have no more details about it, I tweaked them a bit to be more accurate:

•General - In playback mode, fix to remember the last searched date in the calendar (without this fix, every time the "browse recordings" dialog is opened the calendar is set back to today).
•View - Add a Main Console 16:9 widescreen template/design (no black bars on the sides of the screen), meaning native support for 16:9 aspect ratio monitors/displays.
•View - Add savable viewing options for each camera: Stretch - Fill - Fit to fix bad aspect ratio on cameras in 16:9 displays.
•View - In playback mode, change default view to 1x1 grid camera view (instead of the default 4x4 grid camera view which is useless as you're allowed to play one recording at a time) [IGNORE IF BUG #6 ON THE LIST IS ADDRESSED]
•View - Add ability to set the DViewcam's full screen view as the Windows desktop background (rather than a static image), like a live wallpaper behind the desktop icons.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:32:07 PM by RooKiED »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 05:57:54 AM »

If this is the exact list you give to the developer(s) and they have no more details about it, I tweaked them a bit to be more accurate:

•General - In playback mode, fix to remember the last searched date in the calendar (without this fix, every time the "browse recordings" dialog is opened the calendar is set back to today).
•View - Add a Main Console 16:9 widescreen template/design (no black bars on the sides of the screen), meaning native support for 16:9 aspect ratio monitors/displays.
•View - Add savable viewing options for each camera: Stretch - Fill - Fit to fix bad aspect ratio on cameras in 16:9 displays.
•View - In playback mode, change default view to 1x1 grid camera view (instead of the default 4x4 grid camera view which is useless as you're allowed to play one recording at a time) [IGNORE IF BUG #6 ON THE LIST IS ADDRESSED]
•View - Add ability to set the DViewcam's full screen view as the Windows desktop background (rather than a static image), like a live wallpaper behind the desktop icons.

Thanks. . . modified the entries using some of your suggestions.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 05:58:59 AM »

D-ViewCam Wishlist

• General - In playback mode, add ability to recall last searched date in the calendar (currently each time the "Browse Recordings" dialog is opened the calendar defaults to the present day)
  • View - Add Main Console widescreen support to accommodate 16:9 aspect ratio monitors (i.e. and avoid black letter boxing)
  • View - Add savable viewing options for each camera (i.e. Stretch, Fill, Fit) to to compensate for different camera/monitor aspect ratios.
  • View - In playback mode, set the default view to 1x1 grid camera view (instead of the default 4x4 grid camera view (D-ViewCam currently supports playback of one concurrent recording, so the 4x4 grid serves no function)
  • View - Add ability to set the D-ViewCam full screen view as the Windows desktop background (i.e. live wallpaper), rather than a static image

• TBD

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »

One more BUG, more persistent now.

Bug - When running 24/7 Scheduled Recording on multiple cameras the 'Low on diskspace' event regularily occurs, even with 250GB free! And is independent of type of threshold setting (be it percentage or days).

This results in a half-hearted attempt to clean up old recordings (does not do anything actually, only reports doing it) and STOPS the Recording schedule.

This mostly happens few seconds (26 on average) after midnight (folder-switch just happened) and currently about once a week. Could be an byte-alignment/word-size (type-casting) mismatch error in the source when checking for free space.

This lowers the reliability of functionality of DVR-recording, and requires regular baby-sitting/nursing.

WORKAROUND: Modify Scheduled Recording to stop at 23:58 and start up again at 0:01. And, oddly enough, this seems to be working fine.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:53:10 PM by Mackerel »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 04:45:49 AM »

One more BUG, more persistent now.

Bug - When running 24/7 Scheduled Recording on multiple cameras the 'Low on diskspace' event regularily occurs, even with 250GB free! And is independent of type of threshold setting (be it percentage or days).

This results in a half-hearted attempt to clean up old recordings (does not do anything actually, only reports doing it) and STOPS the Recording schedule.

This mostly happens few seconds (26 on average) after midnight (folder-switch just happened) and currently about once a week. Could be an byte-alignment/word-size (type-casting) mismatch error in the source when checking for free space.

This lowers the reliability of functionality of DVR-recording, and requires regular baby-sitting/nursing.

WORKAROUND: Modify Scheduled Recording to stop at 23:58 and start up again at 0:01. And, oddly enough, this seems to be working fine.

Thanks! Added... ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 04:46:33 AM »

D-ViewCam Wishlist

• Bug - "Low on diskspace" error occurs when running 24/7 scheduled recording on multiple cameras (regardless of threshold settings or actual available storage)
  • General - In playback mode, add ability to recall last searched date in the calendar (currently each time the "Browse Recordings" dialog is opened the calendar defaults to the present day)
  • View - Add Main Console widescreen support to accommodate 16:9 aspect ratio monitors (i.e. and avoid black letter boxing)
  • View - Add savable viewing options for each camera (i.e. Stretch, Fill, Fit) to to compensate for different camera/monitor aspect ratios.
  • View - In playback mode, set the default view to 1x1 grid camera view (instead of the default 4x4 grid camera view (D-ViewCam currently supports playback of one concurrent recording, so the 4x4 grid serves no function)
  • View - Add ability to set the D-ViewCam full screen view as the Windows desktop background (i.e. live wallpaper), rather than a static image

• TBD

RooKiED

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »

I have a bug to report.
When you power on your machine and windows is loaded, if you have Dviewcam configured to be loaded "on windows start" and minimized to tray automatically AND you have the audio of any of your cams turned on, although it does start automatically and does minimize to the tray, you hear the live audio from the cameras. To fix this you have to open the main console and minimize it again to stop hearing the audio every time you start the machine.

And a thing it would be easy and cool to fix: I didn't setup an admin password (it's blank), I don't need it as no one undesirable can access my machine. Every time I try to access the Main Console, the dialog of user/pass appears, the default admin is already written and as I didn't input any password I just have to click OK. But every time I access the Main Console from its minimized state, the login dialog pops up unnecessarily. It would be nice to get rid of the login dialog if you don't set up a password for DViewcam.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:11:36 PM by RooKiED »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »

Can other users replicate this bug???  ???

I have a bug to report.
When you power on your machine and windows is loaded, if you have Dviewcam configured to be loaded "on windows start" and minimized to tray automatically AND you have the audio of any of your cams turned on, although it does start automatically and does minimize to the tray, you hear the live audio from the cameras. To fix this you have to open the main console and minimize it again to stop hearing the audio every time you start the machine.

And a thing it would be easy and cool to fix: I didn't setup an admin password (it's blank), I don't need it as no one undesirable can access my machine. Every time I try to access the Main Console, the dialog of user/pass appears, the default admin is already written and as I didn't input any password I just have to click OK. But every time I access the Main Console from its minimized state, the login dialog pops up unnecessarily. It would be nice to get rid of the login dialog if you don't set up a password for DViewcam.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8