• November 20, 2017, 07:29:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What is Dlink doing?  (Read 556 times)

heartsofwar

• Level 1 Member
What is Dlink doing?
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »

Its been about 17 months since the debut of this router and there have been 5 updates. This is an average of 1 update ever 3.5 months, when realistically the release schedule is like 6 months put out a update, one month later fix it with a new update, 6 months later put out a new update and a month later fix it.

This router is the top of the line for D-link and the firmware features suck compared to Asus AC5300, etc. Where is the DD-wrt support? The product page says DD-wrt support, a major reason I bought this router, and its still not supported. Why isn't d-link helping??? The dd-wrt team claim they don't have an AC5300 to test with... why can't D-link provide one, you freaking advertised support of DD-wrt to win people like me.

This router has been nothing but trouble. This is my first D-link purchase, which came highly recommended, but honestly... it'll probably be my last.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:07:31 PM by heartsofwar »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • New DIR-890L Router with SmartConnect™ Technology
Re: What is Dlink doing?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

What problems are you having with it?

It's not D-Link responsible to send HW to 3rd party developers. D-Link only provides the OpenSource code (GPL) for 3rd party developers to build on. If 3rd party developers want to develop open source code and test, there the ones who have to buy the HW. Not all developers may want to  develop every model router. However looking at DD-WRT, there IS DD-WRT FW for the DIR-895L.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:57:24 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable:100mb/3Mb>Motorola SB6183>COVR3902>HP 24pt Gb Switch. 3xDGL-4500s,DIR-857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,865L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L and 960L.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »

What problems are you having with it? Please give details.  ::)

Its been about 17 months since the debut of this router and there have been 5 updates. This is an average of 1 update ever 3.5 months, when realistically the release schedule is like 6 months put out a update, one month later fix it with a new update, 6 months later put out a new update and a month later fix it.

This router is the top of the line for D-link and the firmware features suck compared to Asus AC5300, etc. Where is the DD-wrt support? The product page says DD-wrt support, a major reason I bought this router, and its still not supported. Why isn't d-link helping??? The dd-wrt team claim they don't have an AC5300 to test with... why can't D-link provide one, you freaking advertised support of DD-wrt to win people like me.

This router has been nothing but trouble. This is my first D-link purchase, which came highly recommended, but honestly... it'll probably be my last.
Cable:100mb/3Mb>Motorola SB6183>COVR3902>HP 24pt Gb Switch. 3xDGL-4500s,DIR-857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,865L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L and 960L.

heartsofwar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
Does this need to be asked? There is only one hardware version available for this model, A1.

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
Now? 1.20

• What region are you located?

US
What problems are you having with it?

What problems am I not having?

• The router originaly didn't even come with a way to check the log, I have to setup a log server??? Now it has one, but instead of an intuitive  GUI to browse the log, I have to download it and open in an editor. This is crazyness... every other router I have owned has a simple GUI with a scroll box to display the log!
  • DDNS wasn't even working at all until the 1.13 beta patch I had to work with D-link to get it fixed. DDNS, a very routine feature that should have been supported from day one and went broken for months until I reported it.
  • The biggest issue, which has happened twice now with firmware v 1.13: The router DHCP just one day decided to stop handing out IPV4 addresses and to only give out IPV6. It also wouldn't allow IPV4 traffic in or out. I couldn't even access the router portal except with IPV6, which was a total cluster. I had to factory reset the dang thing. I contacted D-link support regarding this and I basically got (paraphrased humor here) 'ummm... not sure why that happened, but you can try to get it replaced'.
  • If you enable https only, the router is still accessible via http and the portal will randomly time out. when http is only enabled, works FINE
The router is devoid of any serious enhancements. I mean... take one look at ASUS RT-AC5300 and they make this D-link model look like a chump. I wish I had chosen them, but I decided to choose D-Link due to DD-WRT support. Silly me... a mistake I won't make in the future.

It's not D-Link responsible to send HW to 3rd party developers. D-Link only provides the OpenSource code (GPL) for 3rd party developers to build on. If 3rd party developers want to develop open source code and test, there the ones who have to buy the HW. Not all developers may want to  develop every model router. However looking at DD-WRT, there IS DD-WRT FW for the DIR-895L.

If you advertise DD-WRT support, you should be much more involved. Shame on D-link.
yes, there is a DD-WRT firmware available, but its also known to be unusable because the WAN ports don't work, etc. Its not suitable for use... and the primary reason why it hasn't been worked on is because the DD-WRT team doesn't have the hardware, and instead of helping them, you scoff and say, "its their responsibility to have their own hardware". YOU ADVERTISED DD-WRT SUPPORT... I purchased because of this and almost 2 years later, its non-existant because D-Link won't help.

Thanks for the PM... you asked for it.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:14:57 PM »

If you had checked and if you don't know, DD-WRT is not D-Links responsibility to develop and handle DD-WRT FW. That belongs to DD-WRT. D-Link gives the GPL code and the HW chipset platforms to those at DD-WRT developers for them to code and support on the DIR series routers for those that support it. If there is something wrong with DD-WRT and it not working on the DIR series router, it's up to you to point it out to DD-WRT community and there developers to have them correct the problem on there FW. It's not D-Links responsibility. D-Link doesn't do any development of DD-WRT code. Just like ASUS, Linksys and NetGear. These Mfrs only offer GPL code for those chip sets that support DD-WRT. If DD-WRT isn't working for you then you need to contact them for help and support. IT would be up to DD-WRT developers to inform D-Link if there was a core GPL problem. Then D-Link would need to provide more assistance to fix that problem then.

Whats our ISP Service? Cable or DSL?
Whats your ISP modem Mfr and model #?

See if the new v1.20 results in the IPv4 IP addresses not being handed out.

Yes, please follow this for doing any FW update:
Link> >FW Update Process

I have the 890L which is similar code base and have had no issues like your describing. Save different wireless radio configuration between the 890L and 895L.

DDNS was fixed so thats no longer a valid issue.

The D-Link UI is based for a average home user with simplistic UI design, so comparison to other router UIs isn't valid as well. If users want more advanced and more UI features, then of course, other router Mfrs should be looked into before buying any router.

heartsofwar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:02:22 PM »

Again, D-link shouldn't advertise DD-WRT support to attract buyers if they won't stand by it. A disgrace

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 08:24:03 PM »

It's not a disgrace. All Mfrs market 3rd party FW on those models that support it. Linksys, ASUS and NetGear. Nothing wrong in helping 3rd party FW developers with there FW. Helps in usability of HW and extends life of the HW. Mfrs again, not responsible for development or support. DD-WRT is.

If you have a problem with DD-WRT, again, you need to go to them.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:33:12 PM by FurryNutz »

heartsofwar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »

And... this is why I never bothered to respond in the first place. You and I are just going to continue arguing how the other is wrong. Safe to say, you have your opinion and I have my own. This D-link router sucks a big donkey nut and the only reason I stay using it is because it cost a small fortune. Next time, I will purchase the Asus. Lesson learned.

All D-link seems to do is blame others for their own failings. never mind that this router cost twice as much as most other routers, offers less than half the features, and has given me nothing but grief for the almost 2 years I've had it. An absolute abomination... and it looks like other customers that even bother to post on these forums kind of feel the same.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:56:15 PM by heartsofwar »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:56:44 PM »

Not arguing, just stating fact. Even if you go with ASUS and load 3rd party FW there, there not going to help you.

You seem to be blaming D-link for 3rd party failings when it's not there fault. Try looking more into 3rd party FW. You need to understand before placing blame first.

D-Link isn't blaming anyone. They take issues to heart and do work on testing and fixing issues that are found. You said they fixed the DDNS issue. Should say something about D-Link.

Anyways, seems to be at a impasse for you now. Either use the router for what it is or find a new owner for it and find something that you can work with.

Thread is now closed.

Good Luck.