• April 18, 2024, 12:24:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to configure PPTP (witopia vpn) onto DIR-655  (Read 18240 times)

LaWeapon

• Level 1 Member
How to configure PPTP (witopia vpn) onto DIR-655
« on: May 20, 2009, 07:42:14 AM »

Just received and installed my new DIR-655.. but i have 1 question.
I'm using a vpn service to allow my PS3 to connect to hulu and other sites that are blocked in Canada.
I wanted to install the PPTP vpn onto the 655. But the address that i connect to is pptp.witopia.net, within the PPTP setup on the router, you can only enter a ip address? The pptp.witopia.net ip address changes all the time.. is it possible to input the server name pptp.witopia.net instead?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:39:46 AM by LaWeapon »

LaWeapon

• Level 1 Member
Re: How to configure PPTP (witopia vpn) onto DIR-655
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »

anyone have any ideas?

sandman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »

Just received and installed my new DIR-655.. but i have 1 question.
I'm using a vpn service to allow my PS3 to connect to hulu and other sites that are blocked in Canada.
I wanted to install the PPTP vpn onto the 655. But the address that i connect to is pptp.witopia.net, within the PPTP setup on the router, you can only enter a ip address? The pptp.witopia.net ip address changes all the time.. is it possible to input the server name pptp.witopia.net instead?
Hulu is blocked because it has no agreement as yet with its content providers to "broadcast" to Canada. You are asking people here to help you get round this, which means you are asking them to help you do something illegal.
That is why you have no replies.
ASUS RT-N56U
"I Love Deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
               Douglas Adams

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »

Hulu is blocked because it has no agreement as yet with its content providers to "broadcast" to Canada. You are asking people here to help you get round this, which means you are asking them to help you do something illegal.
That is why you have no replies.

that explains part of it, also troubling is this is not what a PPTP WAN connection is for and I wouldn't help you set that up if it was legal.

It is also worth noting that this is against Witopia's ToS at least twice, once for using a router and once for illegal activity.
non progredi est regredi

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 02:40:23 PM »

For me it's more a general question, how to set up the PPTP connection if you only have a domain address to the server.
In Sweden, there are a lot of discussions ongoing about privacy on the internet. Several operators in Sweden and other Countries in Europe are starting to offer services as VPN connections to get more privacy while using internet.

Services as:
Relakks.com
SwissVPN
In those cases the hostname is not an IP address. It's an domain name, like "pptp.relakks.com" for example.
But this is not possible to enter in the DIR-655 when configuring a PPTP Connection.

Configuring this VPN Services using PPTP in Windows is no problem. But then only this PC is using the VPN connection, and not all computers behind the DIR-655.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:42:46 PM by Geraner »
DIR-825 - HW: B1 - Firmware: 2.05WW Build05 Beta01
DNS-323 - HW: B1- Firmware: 1.08 Beta build 05

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »

To my understanding (and this may have just became a PM issue) this is not how PPTP WAN set-ups are designed to be used.

What I believed we had in mind is more like what is being offered by some Russian ISPs (I had the first one I had seen in the wild on these here forums a little while back).  In this set up you have a static IP you are dialling to on a non publicly routable address.  This is being offered (to my knowledge and in the deployments I am speaking to) due to shared infrastructure concerns in some types of broadband deployments.

If you are concerned that a concerted effort is being made against your IT privacy by a large IT organization (read ISP) or government entity, then I would definitely do better than PPTP.  PPTP has known vulnerabilities that are not so pretty.  It is much like locking the front door to your house, it may keep the honest people honest, but does nothing but slow down a criminal.

Now it is possible that this will get changed to allow a DNS name, but I can't tell you when, if, how, or why.  I don't even get to whisper in the ear of the guy who makes that call.
non progredi est regredi

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:39:32 PM »

Thanks for your answer Fatman.

I know that PPTP has some known vulnerabilities. I read about this on Bruce Schneier's homepage.
ISec and OpenVPN are more secure than PPTP.
But anyway, I like the fact that those services are hiding your "real" IP address while surfing on the internet. And for this reason I would like to offer this service for all clients in my LAN by default.

I have been in contact with the support team from Ivacy.com, who also offer such VPN services.
You can read there answer bellow.
In this case almost every router will do.
Here is example for Dlink DI-804HV, DI-808HV, DI-824VUP+
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1107/16456241.jpg
1) Set to Dynamic IP (for DHCP)
2) Set PPTP access point
Russia: pptp2.ivacy.com
UK: pptp3.ivacy.com
US: pptp4.ivacy.com
3) Set your username and password
4) Select "Always On" connect mode
I suppose the DI-804HV is one of the few routers where you can enter the host as a DNS name. Also the DI-804HV is quite an old router.
So that's why I was supprised to see that DNS name entering is not working while configuring PPTP in the DIR-655.

But as you said, maybe in the near future, this feature will be added to the DIR-655 in one of the next Firmware Updates. :) I'm looking forward to see this feature in one of the next release notes.  ;D
DIR-825 - HW: B1 - Firmware: 2.05WW Build05 Beta01
DNS-323 - HW: B1- Firmware: 1.08 Beta build 05

LaWeapon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 05:19:23 AM »

You can close the thread.. i didn't realize this would cause such a issue.
I would have bought the router that witopia sells,, but they don't ship to Canada.
There is no way of installing pptp on a PS3, so i don't have much choice but to install it on a router.
I figured it out on my own.. and it's working fine now.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »

You can read there answer bellow.I suppose the DI-804HV is one of the few routers where you can enter the host as a DNS name. Also the DI-804HV is quite an old router.
So that's why I was supprised to see that DNS name entering is not working while configuring PPTP in the DIR-655.

I know this isn't a great comfort to anyone but I feel compelled to point out the big difference here is the DI-804HV is a VPN router, it was designed to create PPTP Client Tunnels.  The DIR-655 is not a VPN router you are using a WAN type that is not (to my understanding) designed to be used in the same way.

Mayhaps it should work that way, that is someone else's call, I just felt compelled to add the big difference here.
non progredi est regredi

insomnia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 04:57:58 AM »

LaWeapon, could you perhaps share your solution.
I have the exact same problem.

staccyy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 02:12:53 AM »

For me it's more a general question, how to set up the PPTP connection if you only have a domain address to the server.
In Sweden, there are a lot of discussions ongoing about privacy on the internet. Several operators in Sweden and other Countries in Europe are starting to offer services as VPN connections to get more privacy while using internet.

Services as:
Relakks.com
SwissVPN
Router VPN - PureVPN
In those cases the hostname is not an IP address. It's an domain name, like "pptp.relakks.com" for example.
But this is not possible to enter in the DIR-655 when configuring a PPTP Connection.

Configuring this VPN Services using PPTP in Windows is no problem. But then only this PC is using the VPN connection, and not all computers behind the DIR-655.  >:(

Do anyone know how to setup SSTP VPN?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 07:29:56 AM »

VPNs are usually 3rd party apps and configurations. This model router is used as a pass thru for VPN traffic thus there shouldn't be any configurations needed on it.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.