• March 28, 2024, 04:18:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Do NOT upgrade firmware over wifi.  (Read 18269 times)

smeat2000

• Level 1 Member
Do NOT upgrade firmware over wifi.
« on: June 25, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »

Well this one should be in the "Firmware DOs and DONTs" post. I updated to FW 1.11 over wifi and apparently this will corrupt the camera so it needs serviving. Would have been nice to know that before I did it.

Since the upgrade from 1.02 1030 I get this note:

The throughput of the SD Card on your camera is not currently enough for recording. We suggest you to reformat the SD Card or replace it with a higher class one.

I am using a Class 10 32gb sd card. That should be plenty fast and it worked fine on 1.02.

Juancito

• Level 1 Member
Re: Do NOT upgrade firmware over wifi.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:37:37 AM »

I had abandoned the camera for some days, but now that I read this I guess mine is F... up, and I'm gonna have to send it to service center. I did firmware over wifi. It's also worth mentioning that when you download FW from their website is in a ZIP file, you need to unzip/extract in order to use it. Not "extracting" it is the reason some people, like myself, were having problems with update, and the " image is corrupt" message.
As stated before this camera is NOT for people with no IT knowledge.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:39:41 AM »

Well this one should be in the "Firmware DOs and DONTs" post. I updated to FW 1.11 over wifi and apparently this will corrupt the camera so it needs serviving. Would have been nice to know that before I did it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will update the firmware threads.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:41:32 AM »

I had abandoned the camera for some days, but now that I read this I guess mine is F... up, and I'm gonna have to send it to service center. I did firmware over wifi. It's also worth mentioning that when you download FW from their website is in a ZIP file, you need to unzip/extract in order to use it. Not "extracting" it is the reason some people, like myself, were having problems with update, and the " image is corrupt" message.

I'll add this suggestion as well.  Thanks.  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:51:35 AM »

Also, keep in mind that we have the following thread posted in our FAQ board: DCS-9XX - Upgrading DCS-9XX Firmware

smeat2000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »

This is what tech support sent to me when I sent a email to them re. the camera and fw 1.11. I have not tried to reset the camera. Will this weekend and will report back. Don't think this will help...

+++

From your email we see that you get an SD card error and blanks menus after upgrading the firmware of the DCS-942L wirelessly. We would suggest you to reset the camera.

Please follow the steps below to reset the camera DCS-942L:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This procedure will remove the device from the Mydlink account and will require to be added to the existing or new Mydlink account again. 
Note: Do not re-power the unit during this process.The camera is now reset to factory defaults and will reboot.

Step 1: Locate the hole on the side of the camera labeled reset.
Step 2: Insert a paper clip into the hole and hold it down (about 5-7 seconds) and release. The LED on the back of the camera will blink green then Link up.

Please run the setup wizard again to reconfigure the DCS-942L camera. Insert the SD card again into the camera and try accessing it.

TG2001

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 05:32:21 AM »

"DO not upgrade firmware over wifi" is mean
1. If you are upgrade a firmware for your router, you should connect your PC/notebook, which already have a firmware bin file,  via cable LAN to your router in order to lower your risk in upgrade a firmware.
2. If you are upgrade a firmware for your IP camera,
2.1 you should connect your PC/notebook and also your IP camera via a cable LAN connect to your router in order to lower your risk in upgrade a firmware for your IP camera. you should have two LAN port available with your router and also two LAN cable with you.
2.2 you have an alternate way to connect your PC/Notebook  via a cable LAN to your IP camera ( eliminate to connect via your router). In this way you must set IP address of your PC/notebook and IP camera to under the same IP subnet. (e.g. 192.168.0.xxx).  You do not need any LAN port available with your router and you only need one cable LAN to connect between PC/notebook and IP camera.
DIR-655 (wifi Router)
DCS-2121
DCS-942L
DCS-5030L
DNS-320
DAP-1360 (repeater mode)
DWA-140

MiNi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »

I found a very simple solution to this anoying problem.
Just right-click and select "Refresh" in the frames that are messed up, i.e. 'Audio and Video', SD Recording', 'SD Management' etc. Guess it is more of a browser issue (I am using IE9).

jonljacobi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 02:56:19 PM »

What a joke. Just bricked mine though I can still access the live cam. Every product I get from this company has an issue.

crocodile69

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »

I don't know guys... I just upgraded the firmware on 4 cameras today, all over wifi, with no issues whatsoever.
Yes these cameras are far from perfect, they're made with cheap components, the firmware is crappy, etc... But I don't think any of these issues are related to the upgrade over wifi...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 04:25:32 AM »

I don't know guys... I just upgraded the firmware on 4 cameras today, all over wifi, with no issues whatsoever.
Yes these cameras are far from perfect, they're made with cheap components, the firmware is ****py, etc... But I don't think any of these issues are related to the upgrade over wifi...

Upgrading firmware via wireless is certainly possible, but not recommended. If the wireless connection is broken or disrupted during the firmware upload process, the camera is likely to be rendered unusable.

kimnielsen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 02:38:03 AM »

I upgraded my 942L to V1.12 and got the confirmation message that the upgrade was a success.

However, after the upgrade I now has the same error message as you regarding the SD-card (see my post "SD-card error after updating to V1.12 firmware").

My best guess is that there is a bug in the V1.12 firmware that needs to be corrected before we can use the SD-card as intended.

Kim

carlosgarciacegm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 10:55:12 AM »

As stated before this camera is NOT for people with no IT knowledge.

hello friend, update the camera through wifi and I think it hurt, he finally sent the camera to a service center? if repaired?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »

hello friend, update the camera through wifi and I think it hurt, he finally sent the camera to a service center? if repaired?

Most likely, a new unit is sent out rather than fixing the original device.  Is your DCS-942L still under warranty?  The warranty period is up to one year from the date of purchase.