• April 26, 2024, 11:32:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] DNS not showing up - need help configuring  (Read 5008 times)

bakkhai42

• Level 1 Member
[SOLVED] DNS not showing up - need help configuring
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:30:11 AM »

Lets see how badly I can complicate this install...

Mac Pro
Bootcamp
Windows 7
2x WD Green (2TB drives)
Direct Ethernet cable

k...
Nothing comes up when I start the Easy Search Utility. No sign of drive, except that my LAN said I'm connected to an "unidentified network."

• Not been able to map \\192.168.0.20\Volume_1 or get anything on \\192.168.0.20 for that matter
    Can't see anything using ESU in XP mode
  • Can't upgrade Firmware without the initially configuring (can I?) newest firmware supports 2TB drives (that mean it didn't before - could that be it?)

Any help would be appreciated  ;D

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:07:11 PM by bakkhai42 »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: DNS not showing up - need help configuring
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:44:13 AM »

Are you connected to a router with the NAS or directly to it from the Ethernet port on your Mac?  If you don't have a DHCP server in the mix, the NAS comes up with a default IP address, I recall it's 192.168.0.32, you won't find it at 192.168.0.20.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

bakkhai42

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:25:59 AM »

Are you connected to a router with the NAS or directly to it from the Ethernet port on your Mac?  If you don't have a DHCP server in the mix, the NAS comes up with a default IP address, I recall it's 192.168.0.32, you won't find it at 192.168.0.20.

thanks for the quick reply -

I tried both, with a time capsule in the mix, and then directly to the power mac. same result.  I just tried the alternative 192.168.0.32 with no success.

more info.

• DNS has middle blue light (connect notice) on, both drive lights are on too.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:05:37 AM »

If you're going to use a direct connection you'll need to configure a static address on the power mac.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

bakkhai42

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 01:06:53 PM »

SOLVED:

The 323 I bought was from Fry's and they repackage a lot of returns. Therefore I had to RESET the DNS before anything at all would work.  There's a little hole in the back and a paper-clip did the trick.  I guess this is because someone set it up for their machine and then returned it without resetting it.

Thanks for the help.