• March 28, 2024, 10:20:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Best range extender for 655?  (Read 16824 times)

sandman

• Level 2 Member
Best range extender for 655?
« on: April 21, 2009, 04:36:11 PM »

Hi again,

New topic - I am just about to move my internet service to my cable company - this means the Router will now need to be in the front room of my apartment, at the front wall where the cable inlet is. My old position by the analogue phone inlet was more to the rear of the apartment, so I did get OK reception in the rear garden - now for definite the router will not reach that far. I would like to put a range extender in one of the rear rooms so the garden is then also covered - which D-Link unit would be best for this in conjunction with the 655 acting as the main router?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
ASUS RT-N56U
"I Love Deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
               Douglas Adams

Alein

• Level 1 Member
Re: Best range extender for 655?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »

hmm. I use to answer on right question, but it seems that in this case perhaps there are different solutions. First of all DIR-655 has 3 antennas. So you can use one of them with for example Yaga this baby will send signal through concrete, but can it receive ? You need to test it. 2nd option is connect cable and extend antenna connection.
Range extender may be a problem.I guess that you know how it works. But in case, roaming,channels propagation etc. It is good solution in big area, or like tunnel environment.But home, I do not think so. Try borrow from someone stronger antenna , perhaps it is enough for you.
DIR-655 A2 FW 1.3x :(

Circus_boi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:41:33 PM »

Hi again,

New topic - I am just about to move my internet service to my cable company - this means the Router will now need to be in the front room of my apartment, at the front wall where the cable inlet is. My old position by the analogue phone inlet was more to the rear of the apartment, so I did get OK reception in the rear garden - now for definite the router will not reach that far. I would like to put a range extender in one of the rear rooms so the garden is then also covered - which D-Link unit would be best for this in conjunction with the 655 acting as the main router?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have a similar issue.  I've looked into replacing the antennas on teh 655 with after-markets products.  However, after reading posts in this forum, I'm not sure if that is the best way to extend the range to the back garden (the router is near the front of the house and it's an all-brick contruction house).  In reading the posts about antennas, I did come across this company (Hawking) and noticed a product called the 300N Extender.  Has anyone have any experience or review of this product?  Is this a good option (instead of replacing antennas)?

Note that I would rather not get another router as a bridge because I'm very n00b  ??? about networks and when I tried it last time (with some cheap $50 N-router), I screwed up my network.  This 300N Extender seems to not require any screwing around with the current network and can be set up independently?

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=105&ProdID=394

Many thanks!

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »

@ sandman

in Germany some users report the Fritz (AVM) repeater as working well with the DIR-655.
However a repeater will cut your wireless transmission rate of the whole wireless at least to the half.

I'm using powerline connection here to "bridge" my network to the other end of the house.
Connecting one DHP-300 (200mbps) to the router and the second to an additional accesspoint (in my case it is the DAP-1353) which will sever my garden and the rear of the house.

(DHP-301 set of two adapters is replaced by the newer DHP-303 set of two DHP-302 in the meantime)

Real throughput of the DHP is in my case at 6.5 MB/s. With the DAP-1353 configured as repeater I got only 3.5-4 MB/s.