• April 19, 2024, 09:12:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Newbie Help - need more space!  (Read 4533 times)

alexbartman

• Level 1 Member
Newbie Help - need more space!
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:24:51 AM »

Please can soemone help - I have a DNS323 with 2 x 1TB drives - its working great but I have run out of space on the disks (I have a lot of multimedia and backup material) - what is the best way to upgrade the size of my storage capacity - can I attach a USB hard drive to the 323??  I have the drives set using JBOD and really cant face going through the ripping/backup nightmare that has taken me weeks to complete....!!
Open to suggestions - but hoping there may be an affordable and simple solution....is it simply a case of a second NAS device on my home network???
thanks
Alex

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Newbie Help - need more space!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:58:23 AM »

With JBOD drives there is really only one way out of the situation - backup the data to another device and then replace the drives - or - replace the drives and "re-rip" the data, and to answer your question, the USB port only supports a printer or a UPS.  It can be made to support a disk, but that usage is neither sanctioned nor supported by D-Link.

Be warned however - the situation you find yourself in has grave implications.  With a JBOD configuration, failure of either drive can result in loss of ALL your data, and without the backup that it is clear you do not have, you will be back to square one - you need to find a way to back your stuff up, and now might be a good time.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

alexbartman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »

dont suppose its possible to use my existing drives - take them out of the 323 and put them straight into a 343 (with additional drives)and avoid re-formatting and re-ripping all the data??

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:31:34 AM »

Don't take this as gospel - but - I doubt it, and I suspect if you try it with JBOD, you just might be sorry.

You could put a pair of disks in the 343 and transfer the data from the 323 and then transfer the disks and format them.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »

If you expect to triple you storage needs I would recommend getting a DNS-343 and just purchasing 2 1.5TG drives then simply moving you data over to the DNS-343. Then move you JBOD drives into the 343 and format them. If you are worried about data loss I would not recommend using JBOD especially with that much data you risk loosing it all.

Another thing you can do if you are not in a huge rush is wait until the 2TB drives are available for sale and just purchasing another DNS-323 or 321. That will give you 4TB of storage then move you data over. Or simply Purchase 2 2TB drives install 1 to your PC and move your data to your PC then install the other into your DNS-323 and move the 2TB of data to the 2TB drive in the DNS-323. Next just take the 2TB drive out of your PC and install it into the second bay of the DNS-323 and format once again. This way you would not need to purchase and new DNS unit just drives.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

rspyder

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »

I purchased a 321 and two 1TB drives when I needed more space so I would  not have an unused enclosure sitting around.  However, I prefer the 323 to the 321 and have moved my 1TB drives to the 323 and the two 500GB drives to the 321.

Choose the 343 if you think you will be adding even more drives in the future.