• March 28, 2024, 03:59:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: problems compiling GPL  (Read 13240 times)

xintax

• Level 1 Member
problems compiling GPL
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:28:47 AM »

i've been trying to compile this firmware GPL:
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/GPL/DI-524_E1_GPL.tgz
ftp://ftp.dlink.se/Products/di-products/di-524/drivers_firmware/di524.source.tgz
on a Linux (x86)

but when i try to use some tools of it, i receive error messages telling "cannot execute binary file " !?

...i know the firmware was written for MIPS architecture, but (using the Toolchain provided in the GPL) i thought it might be compiled also on other architectures such as x86.
Isn't it possible?
Why some files in the GPL are just binary files (not-comilable?) ?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: problems compiling GPL
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »

None of the actual code should be provided in binary form, only in source.  The tools which we may package with it might be binaries.

Please take note that even with the GPL code you won't have everything necessary to compile your own firmware.

You won't receive any official assistance setting up your compilation environment or toolchain.

Best of luck with all your endeavours!
non progredi est regredi

xintax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »

i see...

but what about, for instance, the "rgbin" and its alias "rgdb" files ?
i can't see any sources, just binaries (which might have been compiled on MIPS...):

.\di524\userland\target\usr\sbin\rgbin
.\di524\progs.priv\rgbin\Makefile
.\di524\progs.priv\rgbin\rgbin

.\di524\userland\target\usr\sbin\rgdb
.\di524\tools\alpha\rgdb\Makefile
.\di524\tools\alpha\rgdb\rgdb

anyway, thanks for the info you're providing me  ;)

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:36:09 AM »

Well a quick google turned up a couple of things,

Most importantly that rgdb (which it looks like rgbin is a link to or visa versa, I haven't checked out the code myself) might refer to remote-gdb, in which case the source might very well be available elsewhere.  If this is the case your source would be at http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/.  I don't know how it is referenced in the source, but appearing in sbin and tools this doesn't seem entirely unprobable to me.

Second, given the number of forums posts (with the same file list you provided) in the last 48 hours it seems to me that you very well may be consulting the right people elsewhere (and some of them sent you here amusingly).  that said this also argues against my first point if none of them would have known this.
non progredi est regredi

xintax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:40:01 PM »

thanks  ;)