• March 28, 2024, 05:00:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Data recovery after NAS failure  (Read 4534 times)

Zsom

• Level 1 Member
Data recovery after NAS failure
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »

Hi,

I had a DLink DNS-323 NAS with 2 Samsung 1TB disks which I set up as a 300GB RAID-1 partition and the rest as one big JBOD partition.
Unfortunately not the drives are the ones what failed but the NAS. So now I have 2 functional HDDs but Windows does not recognize them. They show up in the device manager but not in the list of drives under my computer.
If I buy a new NAS can I plug in the disks as is and will it recognize them? Can I do anything to access the data on them from Windows?

Thanks for any help.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Data recovery after NAS failure
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:56:24 PM »

You have two choices:

• If you buy a new DNS-323, you should be able to simply mount the HDDs in a new DNS-323 with the same firmware version and the NAS should recognize them without issue. If you purchase a new DNS-323, I recommend labeling the HDDs with a magic marker so you know which slot they originally sat in the old DNS-323. Changing the slots can render the HDDs unreadable.  It's also possible that mounting the HDDs on a Windows PC can render the volumes unreadable if Windows attempted to write any data and modified key parts of the Volume that the DNS-323 needs to correctly identify and mount the HDDs.
  • Here is your second option: DNS-323 - Data Recovery (Windows PCs)
Unfortunately, the HDDs will not be compatible with next generation D-Link NAS (e.g. DNS-320, DNS-320L, etc.), as D-Link changed the filesystem on newer models that prevents backwards compatibility.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Zsom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »

Thank you for the detailed reply.
Do I also need to think about the hardware revision (A or C) when buying a new one or will any of the 2 work with mine? (which was C btw).

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 04:55:19 PM »

Good question. I'll need to validate this with my contacts at D-Link but my gut tells me it won't matter as the filesystem driving both hardware revisions is the same. I'll ask the question however.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC