• April 16, 2024, 12:50:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1100-16v2 loses eth1 settings, even after saving  (Read 4216 times)

draco99

• Level 1 Member
DGS-1100-16v2 loses eth1 settings, even after saving
« on: June 26, 2021, 03:30:25 PM »

Hello,

I am new to DLink Smart Switches, and I have read through the manual. I'm using my switch to front a pfSense Router with three VLANS on one port:

VLAN 0 (no VLAN) - Main Office LAN
VLAN 10 - Guest network
VLAN 20 - IoT Network

The Guest and IoT network are offered only on Wi-Fi, via Unifi AP/AC Pro units. This configuration is currently working on an older pfSense box which has a built-in Marvel 4-port switch. The newer pfSense box I am now using has no such switch, hence the acquisition of the 1100-16v2,

The problem I am having is with eth1, which is configured as the trunk line that goes back to pfSense. It is configured to have VLAN1 untagged and VLANS 10 & 20 tagged. I have saved the config files as XML (and in the Web GUI before I unplug the switch to move it from my test bench to production).

Every time I unplug it, eth1 reverts to TAGGED for VLAN1, which means it no longer removes the VLAN 1 tag from outbound packets, and pfSense drops those because there is no VLAN 1. There are many devices hanging off of the Main Office LAN that do not know about VLANs, so I do not have the option of setting VLAN 1 for the Main Office LAN. FWIW, the Unifi APs also strip VLAN packets off before sending off over their radios, and add them before sending through their ethernet ports back to the switch / router.

To test that I'd saved the right config on HTTP backup, I reset eth1/VLAN1 to untagged, Saved in the GUI, exported the config via HTTP and did ran a diff on this new backup vs. the one I made just before unplugging the switch to move it to production. They are identical.

Here are some images of my configuration, with eth1 set properly:

802.1q VLANs

Management VLAN Setting

I tried setting this to ENABLED for VLAN 1, but that did not work either.

VLAN 1 Details

VLAN 10 Details

VLAN 20 Details

QUESTION: What am I doing wrong; do I need to turn off the management VLAN setting; is that what is forcing eth1 to Tag VLAN 1 on rebooting?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 03:39:17 PM by draco99 »

Mr.Mom

• Technical Engineer
  • Level 2 Member
Re: DGS-1100-16v2 loses eth1 settings, even after saving
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 07:20:44 AM »

Have you tired to change to Hybrid instead of Trunk with same settings?

draco99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 09:13:34 AM »

I had not; my assumption, which I now realize was wrong, was that a Trunk was required. I've reset eth1 to Hybrid (which also required that I retag VLANS 10 & 20 on the port, as they became Untagged) and saved the configuration. It is running fine! I'll test the rebooting when I can afford for the network to be down for a bit if it goes awry.

So what is the bug in the DGS-1100 Web GUI / firmware: that it allowed me to untag VLAN 1 on eth1 when eth1 is a trunk, or that it allowed it but does not properly save it? The eth 1 Trunk Untag 1, Tag 10+20 setting had traffic flowing properly, but simply would not survive rebooting.

Thanks!

Mr.Mom

• Technical Engineer
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 09:24:02 AM »

Personal rule of thumb
Hybrid mode - can allow the port to be a tagged member or an untagged member port of multiple vlans.

Trunk mode - the port will be a tagged member of any vlan or an untagged member of a single vlan using the native checkbox

Access mode - the port will be an untagged member of a vlan