• April 25, 2024, 04:17:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS 325 HDDs stays full although deleting files (RAID_1)  (Read 2608 times)

chris3dib

• Level 1 Member
DNS 325 HDDs stays full although deleting files (RAID_1)
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:54:14 AM »

Hi,

iīve got a problem with my system (just 1 win10 PC with that DNS325) which i use as backup server. When I delete files on my Desktop PC, the automatic sync programm deletes it on internal HDD, and shows, that it is synced with NAS, but no more HDD Space is free. No matter what I do: no space is freed. Is there any recycle bin at the DNS325 that I have to empty ?

Best

Chris
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:56:25 AM by chris3dib »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: DNS 325 HDDs stays full although deleting files (RAID_1)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »

As far as I know (we don't have a DNS-325 to play with) there is a recycle bin that will need emptying.

Now, it would help if you told us what program you are using to sync your NAS with your computer because what you are trying to do is not how NAS devises are designed to work. 

Normally data is written to the NAS and there it stays unless you explicitly remove it.  Therefore simple sync programs do not work and you need to use something like RSYNC to do what you want and even then you have to make sure you have set the delete function to just delete what you want (we have had to restore some clients data from backup because they did not understand how to use RSYNC).

If you do decide to use RSYNC then, for the safety of your data, read the manual and make sure you understand what you are doing because with the wrong settings you could wipe everything on both the NAS and your computer.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:45:06 PM by ivan »

chris3dib

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS 325 HDDs stays full although deleting files (RAID_1)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 05:38:17 AM »

Hi,

I use a programme called allwaysync which is very good, i think, There is an extra option to sync to a network hdd . Of course I do every sync with the permission to delete data on the nas.
Isnīt there any way to get access to the recycle bin on the NAS HDD ? That qould be a fine way to proove, if I made all the settings right. And it will show me if there are any data which arenīt in use .

Best
Chris