• April 23, 2024, 03:53:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Two standart HDD cause webui no response  (Read 4012 times)

Yongthy

• Level 2 Member
Two standart HDD cause webui no response
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:27:47 AM »

I bought a wd HDD last week , and I added it into my DNS-325 . Standart mode,no rapid. Before then, I just has one HDD in it . Since two HDD work together, problems occured. When I install a add-on, it often cause webui no response. I reboot my DNS-325, then I login in gagain, go to the add-on manage page, it has no response again. It isn't work too,when I shutdown and boot . How can I fix it ?
Well, there is another question. Before, the only HDD is "HD-a2", when I added the second HDD, the new Hdd was named "HD-a2", the earlier one was renamed as "HD-b2". So, these add-ons I installed before was invalid. Is there any solution when I install add-on I can select a HDD to install into ?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 06:27:59 AM by Yongthy »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Two standart HDD cause webui no response
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 04:48:28 AM »

What firmware are you using and what addons are you trying to install?

I ask because the standard volume labels for the disks are Volume_1 and Volume_2 not HD-a2 or HD-b2.  The latter name sound as if you are using Fun-plug or Alt-F.

In the web UI under 'Management' --> 'Status' --> 'Hard Drive info' you will find the information about your drives.  Note the right hand slot is considered to be the primary slot and would normally get the Volume_1 label in a two drive setup.  I am thinking your single drive was in the left hand slot and when you you put the new drive in the right hand slot and formatted it primary and secondary drives got changed hence your problem.

Without more information I can't start to help you resolve this problem.

Yongthy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »

What firmware are you using and what addons are you trying to install?

I ask because the standard volume labels for the disks are Volume_1 and Volume_2 not HD-a2 or HD-b2.  The latter name sound as if you are using Fun-plug or Alt-F.

In the web UI under 'Management' --> 'Status' --> 'Hard Drive info' you will find the information about your drives.  Note the right hand slot is considered to be the primary slot and would normally get the Volume_1 label in a two drive setup.  I am thinking your single drive was in the left hand slot and when you you put the new drive in the right hand slot and formatted it primary and secondary drives got changed hence your problem.

Without more information I can't start to help you resolve this problem.
Fireware 1.05. I think that,add-ons are not the reason cause this problem . Because I tried several add-ons , most of them caused webui no response.
They were Koken,Samba,Logitech Media Server,Mediatomb.
I also found some interesting results. When I putted the new dirve in the right slot, some add-ons work fine(eg:Wordpress,Joomla), some are not(aria2,telnetd,sshd...).
You are right, I put the first drive in the left. Now the new putted drive is in the right, but labeled Volume_2.
When I called them HD_a2 and HD_b2, I was in the WINSCP, logined as root user. The path was "/mnt/HD/HD_a2 HD_b2".
I think , the system was designed to locate HD_a2 to be the primary drive. It can be expressed why the single drive in the left slot named HD_a2 and when the newer drive putted in the right it was named HD_a2. But the "Volume_1" was not changed, the newer drive is "Volume_2".
I am thinking, if I exchange the two dirves what will happen. Will it fix the problem ?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:24:32 PM by Yongthy »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:49:23 AM »

To answer your question, the only way to change the volume labels is to reformat the drives in the new positions.  To do that requires a full backup of all the data you have on your drives to start the process.  Then mark the drives L and R just in case you ever have to replace one and then format both drives and restore your data from the backup.

Yongthy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »

To answer your question, the only way to change the volume labels is to reformat the drives in the new positions.  To do that requires a full backup of all the data you have on your drives to start the process.  Then mark the drives L and R just in case you ever have to replace one and then format both drives and restore your data from the backup.

Forget it. I do not have enough space to backup the two drive. How about exchanging the two dirves ?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:58:36 PM by Yongthy »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:41:25 AM »

Once the disk has been given a volume label by the formatting process that label does not change even if you change the slot position.

You say you don't have enough space to backup your data.  Just how important is that data to you?  Without a backup if a disk fails that data is lost and disks do fail (at the moment I have on my desk 6 disks that have failed in the last three weeks and I need to decide if it is worth sending them back to the manufacturer (the 4 that are still under guarantee will go back to the supplier for replacement).  Fortunately, non of our clients data that was on the failed disks was lost because they had a full, tested backup to rely on.  If you data is important I would urge you back it up - we see too many people on these fora that have not backed up their data asking about how to recover what they have lost.  /rant over.

Yongthy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:03:11 AM »

Once the disk has been given a volume label by the formatting process that label does not change even if you change the slot position.

You say you don't have enough space to backup your data.  Just how important is that data to you?  Without a backup if a disk fails that data is lost and disks do fail (at the moment I have on my desk 6 disks that have failed in the last three weeks and I need to decide if it is worth sending them back to the manufacturer (the 4 that are still under guarantee will go back to the supplier for replacement).  Fortunately, non of our clients data that was on the failed disks was lost because they had a full, tested backup to rely on.  If you data is important I would urge you back it up - we see too many people on these fora that have not backed up their data asking about how to recover what they have lost.  /rant over.

Ok, I will backup the two drive later. I was thinking, does the DLINK company have thought about people would do things like me ? When people put the first drive in the left, just like me, what would they do to correct their mistakes ? Hmm...