• April 26, 2024, 05:55:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1210-48 Small Office VLAN for VoIP Phones  (Read 30579 times)

Raptor007

• Level 1 Member
DGS-1210-48 Small Office VLAN for VoIP Phones
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »

I have what I would think would be a very common situation.  I have a small office with about 25 users (desktops/laptops) and 15 VoIP Phones.  I have a broadband Internet connection with a router that acts as the DHCP server for the network and gateway to the Internet.  I have a DGS-1210-48 D-Link managed switch and all I am trying to do is 1) segregate the VoIP traffic from the data and 2) Prioritize the VoIP traffic across the network.  I have a possible configuration below.  I need to confirm that this will work i.e. both VoIP Phones and computers will be able to access router to get to Internet yet be on different VLANS (broadcast domains) so that chatter is kept to a minimum especially for the VoIP phones.

Suggested Configuration
VID 1 - Default
•   UNTAGGED – Port 2
•   TAGGED – Port 1
•   NOT MEMBER – Ports 3 - 48
VID 2 – Data
•   UNTAGGED – Ports 3 - 30
•   TAGGED – Port 1
•   NOT MEMBER – Ports 2, 31 – 48
VID 3 – Voice
•   UNTAGGED – Ports 31 - 48
•   TAGGED – Port 1
•   NOT MEMBER – Ports 2, 3 – 30

I have been told that having a "management VLAN" is important but I do not see why.  Couldn't I just have the default VLAN and a voice VLAN???  I am also setting up the Voice VLAN as follows:
Voice VLAN Settings  (configuration > Voice VLAN > Voice VLAN Settings)
•   Enabled
•   VLAN ID = 3
•   Priority = High
•   Port 31-48 ENABLE Auto Detection

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. =)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:36:24 PM by Raptor007 »