• May 16, 2024, 06:20:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Vista Ultimate locking up w/DWA-652  (Read 6124 times)

pman_jim

Vista Ultimate locking up w/DWA-652
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:03:33 PM »

I have an issue with the DWA-652 locking up Vista. I'm currently rinning Vista Ultimate on a Dell Latitude D830. When I insert the DWA-652 I can guarantee to lock up the machine in an hour (sometimes less). When it locks up it appears that the CPU utilization goes through the roof since the laptops fan will kick in on high speed after a couple of minutes. The only way to recover is to power off and back on. If I remove the card while the laptop is locked up, the screen blacks out and I'm back to the BIOS post.

I have configured the card with both the D-Link utility and with WZC. I have used both the 1.20 and 1.30 version drivers, and noticed no difference between the two as far as the lockups go. I have rebuilt the laptop and used just the WZC and still locks up. I have ensured that the laptops built in wireless device is turned off and disabled. No joy.

When the card works, it works great. I get 300 Mbps connection with the DIR-655, and I'm putting and retrieving stuff off my NAS at incredible speeds.

Since I've rebuilt the laptop (due to file corruption from the lock ups) I've been afraid to use the card, which is a shame, since I'd rather not have such an expensive door stop.

Any thoughts, ideas, work arounds would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

TaVARUS

• Level 2 Member
Re: Vista Ultimate locking up w/DWA-652
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:14:08 AM »

Is this Vista 32-bit or 64-bit OS? Have you tried just installing the drivers without using the setup.exe? Also, you can use LAN cable to connect to the network, then plug card in and allow Vista to search windows update for an applicable driver. Sometimes you just get the latest chipset Vendor driver vise the Branded driver.

Does it actually lock up while you are on the machine still? Or is it locking up when your away from the Laptop... like, maybe when the screen saver would kick in?

pman_jim

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:19:23 AM »

This is the 32 bit version. I've installed using the setup.exe, I've also installed just the driver using the device manager. I've installed the most recent windows update, which made things worse, I'd lock up about every 5 minutes.

It will lock up at random. When idle, when working on a Word doc, surfing, uploading or downloading files. Its completely random. When it locks, it locks. No mouse, no keyboard, nothing. As stated before, the only way out is to remove the wireless card or hit the power button.

The internal wireless card still works, and plugging into a lan will work as well. Both with no issues. The only issue is with the DWA-652.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 06:04:45 PM »

Check this topic.
Vista Beta drivers.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1626.0