• April 24, 2024, 05:00:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HOW TO: Remote NAS to NAS backup ???  (Read 22968 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: HOW TO: Remote NAS to NAS backup ???
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 05:09:25 AM »

both NAS must be DNS 343 ? I have a DNS 323 and one DNS 343 , thinking of backup my data from DNS 343 to DNS 323 , what should I do ? I had try using the method in this thread but fail. please advice

From my understanding, both NAS must have RSYNC, else it won't work (can someone confirm this?).  There's no specific dependency requiring two DNS-343 to use remote backup.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »

Yes Both NAS's must support RSYNC currently that is just the DNS-343.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

unthinkableimages

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 12:56:37 AM »

Hi,

I have a DNS-343 at my home and another DNS-343 at my office a few blocks away from my home.  I'd like to have the unit at my home automatically backup the unit at my office everyday.  Both units have four 1.5TB drives configured to Raid 5.

My current thinking is that I should enable the ftp server option on the unit at my office and then set the "scheduled downloads" on my unit at home to download all the files from the unit at my office everyday.

Would this method take advantage of rsync?  Clearly, copying around 4TB of data everyday would be too much, which is why I'm hoping that rysnc would be utilized.

Is there another way that I should go about automating the backup from my office unit to my home unit?

Thanks,
Michael

thebeck

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 11:00:43 AM »

Hi unthinkableimages,

You may want to look into a Router-based solution that creates a Site-to-Site VPN tunnel between your home and office.  While your home and office will be in different subnets, the Site-to-Site VPN tunnel will be able to route seamlessly packets between the two networks; hence making it possible to rsync as if the two DNS's were right next to each other.

Note that for your first backup, you should definitely have both DNS's on the same network switch because even at 1 Gbit, moving 4TB will take many hours.  Then you can move the one of the DNS's back to its intended location, update the rsync ip addresses to point to the remote network, and you should be all set.

Good luck!
1) DNS-323 2x1.0TB (WD10EACS)-RAID 1 EXT3-1.08: Mac "Time Capsule"
2) DNS-343 4x2.0TB (WD20EADS)-RAID 5 EXT3-1.03: Copy of #1 + other stuff
3) DNS-343 4x2.0TB (WD20EADS)-RAID 5 EXT3-1.03: Remote mirrored backup of #2
4) DNS-323 2x500MB-RAID 1 EXT3-1.10b5: Playground

ffp 0.5 on all

rjensen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »

Hmmm...I started this thread a long time ago...
...I'm glad it is the first link that pops up when I search for information on this issue...
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
...I'm livid with the subsequent discussion...
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I was disappointed when I discovered that my DNS-343 would not RSYNC backup to a Buffalo NAS.

I naively assumed that a D-Link DNS-343 would backup to a D-Link DNS-323. But NO! D-Link in their infinitely  inconsiderate nature have not included RSYNC in the DNS-323 firmware. Is is incompetence or inconsideration to frustrate the end user into ftp-based backups?

When will D-Link include RSYNC standard with their firmware?

Roy Jensen
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:21:40 PM by rjensen »

JCK

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »

What is the difference/benefit of using the remote backup vs. scheduled downloads?  

Encrypted data. Ability to do it remotely over the internet.

What do you mean the ability to do it remotely over the internet, doesn't the scheduled download feature enabled one to connect to a remote ftp server over the internet to backup a file on a remote server to ones local NAS?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:45:57 PM by JCK »

Sumdumphuc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 07:15:08 AM »

I also have 1x DNS-343 and 2x DNS-323, wanting to backup my DNS-343 to both my DNS-323.
I thought it would have been an easy option, I guess I was wrong.....

Pretty strange that both D-Link products are not compatible to do just that?!?!

Any plan to do the obvious and make this possible?

lanemeyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »

I'm bumping up this thread because I seem to be having the same problems as others here and it's one of the most popular results in a Google search.

My situation is, I have a DNS-323 (on the West Coast) and my Dad has a DNS-343 (on the East Coast). We want to sync/mirror our boxes each way, but (1) it needs to be secure across the Internet, (2) since we have hundreds of GBs of data it needs to be an incremental backup, not a full backup, and (3) it would be great if it could be automated/scheduled like once a week.

We all know that the 323 does not have Remote Backup functionality which is disappointing since the 343, 320, and 325 all do.  Hopefully they're working on a new firmware to include this, or is this device at end of life??

Since new firmware isn't likely coming, now I'm thinking I should just replace my 323 with a 343 and then set up Remote Backup on each device to sync (manually, unfortunately, even though the 320 and 325 can be scheduled).  What I want to know is, can the 343 do a Remote Backup to a remote NAS across the Internet, or does it only work locally (i.e., 192.168.x.x)?  I called tech support and they said it only works locally, but this thread makes me think they were wrong.

Lastly, does anyone have any other recommendations to accomplish the same goal?  VPN switches (like the NETGEAR FVS318) and just run folder sync software on an always-running computer?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »

My situation is, I have a DNS-323 (on the West Coast) and my Dad has a DNS-343 (on the East Coast). We want to sync/mirror our boxes each way, but (1) it needs to be secure across the Internet, (2) since we have hundreds of GBs of data it needs to be an incremental backup, not a full backup, and (3) it would be great if it could be automated/scheduled like once a week.

We all know that the 323 does not have Remote Backup functionality which is disappointing since the 343, 320, and 325 all do.  Hopefully they're working on a new firmware to include this, or is this device at end of life??

Since new firmware isn't likely coming, now I'm thinking I should just replace my 323 with a 343 and then set up Remote Backup on each device to sync (manually, unfortunately, even though the 320 and 325 can be scheduled).  What I want to know is, can the 343 do a Remote Backup to a remote NAS across the Internet, or does it only work locally (i.e., 192.168.x.x)?  I called tech support and they said it only works locally, but this thread makes me think they were wrong.

I haven't personally used RSYNC over the Internet, but would think that from this thread and the "port forwarding" note in the web interface RSYNC page, that the unit was designed for that purpose.

Another option is to wait for the DNS-345, the DNS-343 successor: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=41242.0

lanemeyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »

Another option is to wait for the DNS-345, the DNS-343 successor: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=41242.0
Thanks.  After seeing that the 320, 325, and upcoming 345 all have _scheduled_ and incremental Remote Backup out-of-the-box, I may just replace both the 323 and 343.  It's unfortunate that the older hardware isn't being updated for this feature, but I understand dlink wants to sell more units and updating existing devices doesn't accomplish that.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »

Whatever solution you end up using, if you have terabytes of data I recommend making the first backup of your data at one location and then ship the HDDs (and DNS in original box) to avoid that first full copy.
Pages: 1 [2]