• April 18, 2024, 11:39:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Raid 5 degraded, skip, all 4 orange LED  (Read 3717 times)

Ongth

• Level 1 Member
Raid 5 degraded, skip, all 4 orange LED
« on: June 11, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »

Really need help.......
Yesterday I just noticed my DNS-340L has been shutdown, the moment i powered on it, the third LED was orange, I logged in to the system, it showed my Raid 5 was degraded, I clicked skip, and did a Scan Volume_1, after the scan, all 4 LED become orange, I did another SMART test, my 3rd HDD was failed.

Today, I replaced a new same model same capacity HDD, but the system only allow me to select the raid type and reformat it, can anybody please help ? There should be a way to rebuild the raid 5, i don't think the Raid 5 is completed unrecoverable.

Anyone....help is really needed.

I have tried to restore my backup setting, but my Volume_1 is gone, overtime the system is rebooted, I will receive email notification saying my Volume_1 has crashed..........

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Raid 5 degraded, skip, all 4 orange LED
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:41:19 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DNS? Look at the sticker behind or under the device.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DNSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?

Review this.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=58586.0

Will get some more eyes on this for you...
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:15:31 PM »

How good is your backup and when did you last test it?

The fact that you clicked 'skip' on the RAID status page means that you have messed up your RAID 5 array synchronization.  The usual way to correct this is to reformat the array and restore from a tested backup (hence my question regarding backups).

If you don't have a backup you might be able to recover some of your data by using third party recovery software like R-Studio (win and linux).  It does cost money but from reports we have heard it does work if you take the time to read the manual and setup both the hardware and software correctly (like all recovery operations it is not foolproof nor does it guarantee you will be able to recover everything).

I am sorry if the above is not what you wanted to read but over the years my company has been asked to recover data because people think that any form of a RAID array is a backup - IT IS NOT and never will be. 

Ongth

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:37:17 AM »

Have been searching through the forum, manage to get some help to recover my data, currently in the process of recovery, just that to find 9TB storage is challenging.

By the way, I don't have backup :P

After this incident, I guess I will not go back to Raid 5, most probably Raid 1+0

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »

I am pleased that you are able to recover some, if not all, of your data.

Concerning a backup of what you recover you could do what we recommend to our clients - a second NAS box that runs in parallel with the master NAS as the first stage backup.

Way back when I started my company we had 8" floppy disks to play with and I insisted that we had at least three copies of any disk and that those copies were tested at least once a week.  The industry has progressed since those days but we still insist on at least three copies of any data we hold for ourselves or our clients and those copies are tested once a week (clients data that we hold is checked during download to our storage array and again when it is sent to our off site storage).

I am not saying that you need to go to those extremes but please remember you do NOT have a backup if you have only one copy of your data and, depending on its value you may need two or more copies of the most valuable data.

All that remains to be said is, good luck with the data recovery and never skip any warning message ;)