• March 28, 2024, 03:29:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DCS-2670l Installed  (Read 19096 times)

DaDDz

• Level 2 Member
DCS-2670l Installed
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:24:08 PM »

Finally setup and mounted the 2670l 180° Outdoor Cam.  A few thoughts.
1.  Camera mount consist of a thin round plastic mount screwed to the wall.  Cam slides down and locks onto it flush.  Cam cannot be adjusted side to side, only downward.  Would have been better to mount on an arm like the 5010l for better choice of positioning.
2.  Needs updated firmware.  Camera setup has some problems.  First the internal setup menus have issue with Firefox 53, live video flickers, menu icons are missing. None of my other cameras have these issues.  Manual setup for motion is very convoluted, not user friendly like the 5010l.  There is a wizard to do it also but it leaves out settings.  Daytime setup for motion (30%) sent numerous email snapshots with no apparent motion triggers with few intermittent push notifications to my iPhone.  Setting the motion trigger for evening/night stopped the emails but push notifications continued.  Have not been able to get night vision, which works well, to see motion.  This is the first night so I'll try adjusting to fix.  Also rebooting the camera loses a number of settings, not good.
3.  Video quality at 1080 is very good, but live streaming on 2.4ghz wireless was very lagged.  Dropping to 720 greatly improved.  Fish eye effect was minimal when camera is pointed straight ahead.  Angling it down 20-30° increases the effect though.  Night vision worked well but the area has a number of outdoor lights. 

Since there's no support here, I'll have to contact Canada support directly to see about firmware updates, etc.  Hopefully it gets released to US soon.  Motion sensing is my main concern.  That's the whole point of putting it up.  My 5010l has been a real workhorse in that regard and always reliable.
Links to pics of hardware and screenshots

http://ibb.co/dnb2Z5
http://ibb.co/nExsHQ
http://ibb.co/ehNRcQ
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:37:41 AM by GreenBay42 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DCS-2670l Installed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:18:30 AM »

Thanks for the info and feedback.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:59:16 PM »

3.  Video quality at 1080 is very good, but live streaming on 2.4ghz wireless was very lagged.  Dropping to 720 greatly improved.  Fish eye effect was minimal when camera is pointed straight ahead.  Angling it down 20-30° increases the effect though.  Night vision worked well but the area has a number of outdoor lights. 

I'm not sure what router you are using - but you might want to look into an extender or 2nd router that is close to the camera.
Have the extender connect at 2.4Ghz to the camera, and connect the extender back to the main router at 5Ghz, that should help a lot. (Depending on if your place works well with 5Ghz).

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I edited your image URLs btw  ;D

DaDDz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:58:25 AM »

Continued to have numerous settings issues with the cam.  Motion detection all but stopped regardless sensitivity setting.  Email snapshots stopped coming completely even  when push notifications indicated motion.  Settings randomly changed, time zone, motion detection and more.  Did all the usual, restarted, rebooted, factory reset.  Called support, but unfortunately they have little to go on because it's so new.  No issues reported.  Suggested to replaced it with a new one and see if the issues are duplicated and call them back.  Returned it and another is being shipped this week.  Will try again, but I've only 12 days left for a full refund.  My gut feeling is that it's a firmware issue and I'm not sure I would hold onto it while they resolve it given it's very limited release.  Will report back when I get the replacement.

BAMoh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:36:15 PM »

Thanks for the update. The issues are surprising since most DLINK cams don't have too many problems. I have a failure of the IR cut filter on a 5020 but other than that all of them have held up. I thought the 2670 would be just the outdoor version of the 2630 which is rock solid iMO.

Due to lack of availability in the U.S. and poor night vision and other reasons I wasn't about to accept the 2330 as a substitute especially given its high price.

Instead I went with a competitor's product. After lots of tweaking, following initial perception DLINK could provide a better product, I have to say I'm impressed with it and have no plans to go back to DLINK given their current lineup in the U.S. unless is for an indoor product.
"That's laughable...."  Impress me. Need COMPETENT help.

DaDDz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 05:07:20 PM »

Received the replacement cam from BB.  This setup went better although I am testing it in a controlled room where I can trigger the motion, before setting up outside.  Motion detection seems to be working properly, but what's not working well is the notifications.  I think the first cam was the same, but I have been able to zero in on the issue more.  The cam seems to send out multiple notifications on a single trigger.  Push notifications to ios I think are overwhelming it so you sometimes don't get one.  My email in effect gets spammed with multiple messages (6-8) showing the same snapshot on a single trigger. Called it in to support.  Spent a long time giving all the observations to them.  They seem to think firmware issue.  Forwarded it all to 2nd level support for testing.  Will get back to me.  Got 5 days left for a return to BB.  Not sure if I'll keep it unless I hear some encouraging news from support before then.  Will update as I hopefully progress.

BAMoh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 08:46:37 AM »

If its a firmware issue I would keep it. Think they would fix it in time albeit given the smaller marker in Canada, they don't have as much incentive (pressure) to as they would in the US. 1000 reviews and 50% of them negative on Amazon would kill any brand. I think in Canada, DLINK can hide from that kind of feedback.

The cam view of your property looks good. Would be more interested in its night vision abilities. I don't think the fish eye is a big deal. If its 180 degrees why do you need L to R adjustment anyway?

"That's laughable...."  Impress me. Need COMPETENT help.

DaDDz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 11:17:30 AM »

If its a firmware issue I would keep it. Think they would fix it in time albeit given the smaller marker in Canada, they don't have as much incentive (pressure) to as they would in the US. 1000 reviews and 50% of them negative on Amazon would kill any brand. I think in Canada, DLINK can hide from that kind of feedback.

The cam view of your property looks good. Would be more interested in its night vision abilities. I don't think the fish eye is a big deal. If its 180 degrees why do you need L to R adjustment anyway?

Support called me to get details on the second camera, to see if the the problem was duplicated for me.  Took all my settings so they can test and duplicate on one there.  Since today the last day I can get a refund, I decided to have faith in them and keep it based on the reliability of my other cams.
When I finally get it installed in place, I'll post night vision shots.  Right now it's inside for testing till they get back to me.

L to R physical adjustment would be beneficial so you could pick your 180 view if you mount on a corner for example.  Just gives you more install options.

PeZzy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:07:48 AM »

I have owned the DCS-2670L for awhile.

Major dislikes:
Problems with connecting to Ubiquity access points
Very poor wireless range (2.4GHz)
Web UI is from the stone age and downloading through the browser has interruption issues (wireless and Ethernet)
Recorded playback of local files on the phone is not streamed, so it has to download the whole video file before it plays
Flickering caused by auto exposure adjustment (usually near sunrise and sunset) which sets off the motion detection - forces you to reduce sensitivity until it becomes useless.
With a Sandisk Extreme Plus micoSD, there are stutters in the 1080p recorded video, perhaps due to taking a snapshot with the video at the same time
Pre-record time is limited to a maximum of 3 seconds
Only local recording is to microSD - no other local options
IP65 rating - means it must not be directly exposed to the elements
Dislike cloud-based storage for security cameras

Major likes:
180 degree view

My prior experience is with Amcrest cameras. They are far from perfect, but they are much more reliable, configurable, and user friendly. Maybe a firmware update will fix the auto exposure problem, but since it is a Canada-only product, I expect to updates to be very slow.

DaDDz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 07:03:08 AM »

I have owned the DCS-2670L for awhile.

Major dislikes:
Problems with connecting to Ubiquity access points
Very poor wireless range (2.4GHz)
Web UI is from the stone age and downloading through the browser has interruption issues (wireless and Ethernet)
Recorded playback of local files on the phone is not streamed, so it has to download the whole video file before it plays
Flickering caused by auto exposure adjustment (usually near sunrise and sunset) which sets off the motion detection - forces you to reduce sensitivity until it becomes useless.
With a Sandisk Extreme Plus micoSD, there are stutters in the 1080p recorded video, perhaps due to taking a snapshot with the video at the same time
Pre-record time is limited to a maximum of 3 seconds
Only local recording is to microSD - no other local options
IP65 rating - means it must not be directly exposed to the elements
Dislike cloud-based storage for security cameras

Major likes:
180 degree view

My prior experience is with Amcrest cameras. They are far from perfect, but they are much more reliable, configurable, and user friendly. Maybe a firmware update will fix the auto exposure problem, but since it is a Canada-only product, I expect to updates to be very slow.

I had high hopes for it when announced and based on my years of experience with my other D-Link cameras, I bought it.  But it's not ready for release because of the firmware.  The firmware is a mess compared to that of my two 5010L workhorses, which have been operating almost flawlessly for two years outside in protected areas.  They were set and forget.  Sensitivity is at default 30%, schedule set and I get notifications on my iPhone and an email with snapshots of movement within seconds.
This cams firmware is a jumbled mess.  The Event setup is a major issue.  It ignores the settings all the time, often detecting motion with no motion, ignoring obvious motion from 5 feet away, flooding my email with multiple emails snapshots on with every event it does notice.  Notifications and emails rarely coincide.
The WebUI for some reason presents differently in Firefox, with icons missing on the live view and screen flicker?
On the plus side it's looks great, and night vision for my installation areas is also great.
But it's basically non-functional as a outdoor security camera at this point.
I've been working closely with support on the issues, sending logs, cfg's snapshots, etc.  They are in constant contact via phone and email. 
It's obvious from all concerned that the release firmware is bad.  I agree it only being released in Canada leaves little hope of a quick fix.  I've wondered if the issue were the reason of a limited release?  Are we alpha/beta tester?

PeZzy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 11:48:59 PM »

In order to catch movement near the edge of the camera's view, I have to set the sensitivity to 75-80%. Any minor changes in lighting will cause a motion detection.
I like Amcrest event settings which have threshold and sensitivity settings. Threshold is a must-have for motion detection. I see this setting in other D-link cameras, but not this one.
I have been using Internet Explorer, which is becoming dated, since Firefox and Chrome have annoyances.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:50:38 PM by PeZzy »

DaDDz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 11:25:29 AM »

In order to catch movement near the edge of the camera's view, I have to set the sensitivity to 75-80%. Any minor changes in lighting will cause a motion detection.
I like Amcrest event settings which have threshold and sensitivity settings. Threshold is a must-have for motion detection. I see this setting in other D-link cameras, but not this one.
I have been using Internet Explorer, which is becoming dated, since Firefox and Chrome have annoyances.

I've tried increasing it too with the same results.  I'll give a little longer to fix the firmware where it can function as advertised.  Not sure how they're going to honor the warranty if model doesn't work. 
What model Amcrest are you using?  Not familiar with there products as I've always had good results with my other D-Link's.

PeZzy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 05:47:01 PM »

They updated the firmware for this, but it's still a piece of junk. Terrible motion detection as usual.
With the new firmware, the SDCard fills up and doesn't overwrite, so it stops recording. Newer firmware just added more problems.

DaDDz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 05:53:50 AM »

They updated the firmware for this, but it's still a piece of junk. Terrible motion detection as usual.
With the new firmware, the SDCard fills up and doesn't overwrite, so it stops recording. Newer firmware just added more problems.

Have to agree.  Update in November did nothing to correct the critical issues.  I've been in constant contact over the past six months with 2nd level support and they stated that update was not to address those issues.  They were constantly emailing with changes in settings to try but nothing worked.  In December they gave me beta firmware to test which did absolutely nothing.  I reported back my tests but other than thanks I've heard nothing since then.  I believe it's failed product that they have given up on it, and other than a few users from Canada who bought this it no loss to them.  I'm moving on and looking at other options from other company's.  I've had good luck with their other cameras which are still operating well but I won't buy an outdoor product or likely any other product from them after this mess.
Pages: [1] 2