• April 26, 2024, 11:09:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP server setup newbie questions  (Read 5053 times)

skrupka

• Level 1 Member
FTP server setup newbie questions
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:03:48 AM »

I want to setup my DNS-343 to run it's FTP server but i guess i'm having a few problems. I tried using Firefox or Internet Explorer to browse through FTP and it worked the first time but now it does not.  All I get is the connection established and no authentication and no volume. I have it running using an IP 192.168.15.X   and i'm able to use SmartFTP client to transfer files locally in my network through FTP just fine.   I'm confused how someone from the internet can logon to the NAS through FTP?  The 192.168.15.x  is not reachable.   I understand that type of IP is a reserved local IP and it would be unreachable but how else does someone logon to my ftp?  I have a router connected to the internet and that router is connected to a gigibit switch which is connected to my computer and NAS.   I configured the router to forward the ports for the IP of the NAS FTP server and the port which is 21.   My IP that is connected to the internet is 99.227.60.xx     I was told that someone from the internet would use my IP 99.227.60.xx   to connect to the ftp server but i'm baffled as to how? if my local ip is 192.168.15.x    Some help would be great.  thanks.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: FTP server setup newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:07:33 AM »

The access to the FTP is on port 21 by default. When you create a port forwarding rule and access ftp://99.227.60.xx:21 on the Internet it forwards to 192.168.15.x:21 to access the FTP.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

skrupka

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:57:35 AM »

The access to the FTP is on port 21 by default. When you create a port forwarding rule and access ftp://99.227.60.xx:21 on the Internet it forwards to 192.168.15.x:21 to access the FTP.

I have already done exactly that, but it is still unreachable from the internet.   

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »

Check to see if you public IP address has changed unless you have purchased a static address from your ISP. I would recommend setting up DynamicDNS on your router.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

imgrizz2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »

I too am having the same issues and am becoming quite frusterated!!! I have a DNS343 hooked to a gigabit switch sitting behind a DIR 655 router but can't access anything outside my home network. I've tried everything I can think of but am still hitting a wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!