• March 29, 2024, 03:14:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGL-4500 vs DIR-865L Differences and/or bugs  (Read 4044 times)

TimeShifter

• Level 1 Member
DGL-4500 vs DIR-865L Differences and/or bugs
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »

Here are some differences between the Draft-N 4500 and the finalized-N / Draft-AC 865 router connected to a cable modem/router combo (Cisco DPC-3825 on Broadband 100, WIFI off, DMZ zone to my 4500 for a year up until last Friday...now bridged) using the ISP's DNS servers:

1. DNS RELAY:  4500- check marked,  865 - unchecked.  There is a slight difference in each router's definition of DNS relay.  This could be the difference between draft-n and finalized-n.

2. "Reboot Now" / "Reboot Later" pop-up:   4500 has this feature...and I like it!  After all...why would I want to reboot when I haven't completed my configuration??

3. The 865 has a limit of 24 reserved (static) IPs. WHAT??? 
F/W: v1.02, v1.03 and v1.04 are all the same.

4. COMPUTER NAME (when adding in reserved IPs):   The 4500 has no issues with underscores (_) spaces, etc.  The 865 cannot handle underscores(_), spaces( ), quotes (') and who knows what other ascii character that it doesn't like before it complains of "Invalid HOST NAME".  Ha???  What does Host Name have to do with it?  Why can it only handle dashes (-)?  Is this a released-N difference or a quirk?

5. HOST NAME: (865) And, if I'm not mistaken, the Host Name does not like most ascii characters either.
It too, has a limit of 15 characters (I was using 16 on the 4500, never checked its limitation).

6. I'm estimating that the 865's antenna output power is app. 3dBm higher than the 4500 (which is 1 reason why I bought the 865) and higher in sensitivity, not to mention the capability of operating 2.4 & 5 at the same time.

7. As I was continuously having problems with freezing web page loads and unresponsive web pages and varying speed tests (anywhere from 10Mbps to 80Mbps), & DNS server errors (using wireshark). I have finally stabilized (for the last 2 hours) using the following settings:
  UPnP - disabled
  IPv6 (on PC's) - disabled; local (on 865)
  NAT is set to "ADDRESS RESTRICTED" (TCP & UDP) << this, I suspect was the main issue (using Port restricted)
  Port Forwarding - now disabled
  QoS  - disabled
  So far, only using the 2.4G radio/net.

Oh sweet! The internet is actually working again....and fast!!  No more complaints from the rest of the family with it going down constantly!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DGL-4500 vs DIR-865L Differences and/or bugs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:16:36 AM »

Here are some differences between the Draft-N 4500 and the finalized-N / Draft-AC 865 router connected to a cable modem/router combo (Cisco DPC-3825 on Broadband 100, WIFI off, DMZ zone to my 4500 for a year up until last Friday...now bridged) using the ISP's DNS servers:

1. DNS RELAY:  4500- check marked,  865 - unchecked.  There is a slight difference in each router's definition of DNS relay.  This could be the difference between draft-n and finalized-n.
DNS relay is only for giving users the option to either have the router handle the DNS interaction for using default detected DNS addresses from ISPs or letting the user use custom DNS addresses and then just passing those addresses on to the connected clients with out any additional router processing that DNS relay handles. It doesn't have any thing to do with WiFi certification and more likely a Dlink developer or project decided decision to leave it OFF for this particular model for which we will never know the reasons why.

2. "Reboot Now" / "Reboot Later" pop-up:   4500 has this feature...and I like it!  After all...why would I want to reboot when I haven't completed my configuration?? Yes, we've seen this feature start to populate into other models even older DIR series like the 655 now has the reboot later feature. Please post your request to have this added if even the most current version of FW does not have this, and maybe in the near future they will add it in. Here>http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=50652.0

3. The 865 has a limit of 24 reserved (static) IPs. WHAT??? 
F/W: v1.02, v1.03 and v1.04 are all the same. See this in many other model routers. Not sure exactly why they are limited as other features like Network Access controls are also limited to 24. I presume that on some level, these are home bases products and generally, the avg user usually doesn't have more then that, maybe 10, however granted, as devices like phones and ipads become more popular, device count in the general house hold is going up. Especially households with kids and teenagers.  ::) Please post your request in the link above to have this reviewed and maybe DLink will open it up a bit more. Also you have to understand that there is probably a limited amount of code space on the hardware so I presume they code to maximize the space available. I presume there is some space left over for minor changes maybe.

4. COMPUTER NAME (when adding in reserved IPs):   The 4500 has no issues with underscores (_) spaces, etc.  The 865 cannot handle underscores(_), spaces( ), quotes (') and who knows what other ascii character that it doesn't like before it complains of "Invalid HOST NAME".  Ha???  What does Host Name have to do with it?  Why can it only handle dashes (-)?  Is this a released-N difference or a quirk?
There are differences between some models, especially DGL and the DIR. Different products and different projects handle the development. I wish the entire development was more on a standard level with in DLink however we don't know why it's not. So we see subtle variances in features and operation of these routers. It could also be that they are coding to be more compliant to a network naming convention standard rather a haphazard standard as before. I personally never have used any special characters in any naming conventions. Can be problematic should something happen later on down the road. KISS is what I believe in.

5. HOST NAME: (865) And, if I'm not mistaken, the Host Name does not like most ascii characters either.
It too, has a limit of 15 characters (I was using 16 on the 4500, never checked its limitation).
Again, this maybe a new standard that some DLink projects are following.

6. I'm estimating that the 865's antenna output power is app. 3dBm higher than the 4500 (which is 1 reason why I bought the 865) and higher in sensitivity, not to mention the capability of operating 2.4 & 5 at the same time.
I thought I remember that someone on the DIR-825 forum telling me that some Mfrs were upping the power output at the antenna for some newer generation routers. ;D

7. As I was continuously having problems with freezing web page loads and unresponsive web pages and varying speed tests (anywhere from 10Mbps to 80Mbps), & DNS server errors (using wireshark). I have finally stabilized (for the last 2 hours) using the following settings:
  UPnP - disabled
  IPv6 (on PC's) - disabled; local (on 865)
  NAT is set to "ADDRESS RESTRICTED" (TCP & UDP) << this, I suspect was the main issue (using Port restricted)
  Port Forwarding - now disabled
  QoS  - disabled
  So far, only using the 2.4G radio/net.
I wonder if there is a problem or issue between your 865L and your ISP modem and or service. When I got my 865L in house I ran it with default settings out of the box accept for setting up WiFI and adding reservations. I never saw these kinds of problems. Kargo27 also has this router and ran it for a while on shipping FW. He's since updated his. I'm still on shipping FW. We both have Motorola SB 6 series cable modems.I that that your cable modem is a gateway. I would recommend to get a fair test case use out of the 865L would be to test it on a stand alone cable modem, something with out any router or gateway features.

Oh sweet! The internet is actually working again....and fast!!  No more complaints from the rest of the family with it going down constantly!

We do hope it keeps working well for you. I think it is a solid router. Very happy with it and will be using mine probably as a bridge once the DGL-5500 comes out. Were all hoping thats going to be the best router since the 4500. I put my 4500 back online the other day, ol girl still rocks over any other router for gaming XBL. We played for hours last night, 10 win streaks in a row, I only had one bad game cuz I was camping too much, hehe. I really hope the 5500 will be as good or even better. Got to say, the 4500 is still a great router.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:56:05 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.