• April 16, 2024, 09:28:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: getting more stats from the device  (Read 4501 times)

cloon

• Level 2 Member
getting more stats from the device
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »

Hi,
    is there any ways to get more information on the device like the upload/download going to the wan side.  My isp is giving some numbers about my downloads but id rather rely on my device to tell me that.   Ive read on some forum that some devices have an API to get more data that what is shown on the device "web site".

Knowing that 5Go were transfered is way better that the numbers of packets sent...  there absolutely nothing we can do with that information since packets can have different size..

Is there a dlink router that can give that information?  or can that be added to the firmware ?????  ( that`s a question for you Lycan :)   )

Thanks

btw I'm  still using the 1.05 firmware without any glitch so I'm not ready to give up and use the 924 firmware:P

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
Re: getting more stats from the device
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:31:03 PM »

Cloon,

Try: http://speedtest.vonage.com

It's quick and dirty but not too far from the truth!

You'll need to click the begin button. It'll download and upload test data and give you a good ball-park indication of speeds both ways.

There are also a boatload of speed tests at  http://www.dslreports.com/tools  but you'll need to register to access them all.

Enjoy!!!

:D

cloon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:35:48 PM »

Thanks bjrichus,

that link will be helpfull.   

but I`m also looking for the amount of data transfered not just speed..  I have a 30 Go limit by month and would like to know the total number of bytes transfered to the wan part of my network. 

I could install some monitor on each computer of my network and do the math but I also have a wii connected and I don`t see how I could check what is transfered by it...

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:48:16 AM »

There is a total packets/bytes transfer page in the router firmware - off the tools menu as I recall - but it gets reset on every router reboot... you could make a point of counting it once a day or so - not ideal, I know.  :'(

If D-Link provided access to (for example) an SNMP MIB in the router, you could inquire the numbers from it using all sorts of (perhaps even free) software on your PC, but I don't know if D-Link included one and/or how/if they'd let you get at it. Be nice to know, don't you think?

To be honest, I've not seen this feature included on a D-Link (or for that matter ANY) consumer level networking device... You got to pay for a more capable unit to get at that kind of feature.

Another thought - not practical for most people at home - but you could put a Linux PC running some firewall software (plenty of options there too) between the Broadband modem and the router and just let it pass packets on an uninterrupted basis and count the metrics off there.

;)