• April 25, 2024, 07:26:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: how to transfer files between RAID Volumes  (Read 3106 times)

phoenix316

• Level 1 Member
how to transfer files between RAID Volumes
« on: October 07, 2011, 05:26:53 AM »

I have been back and forth trying to transfer files from one RAID Volume in my DNS-343 to the other RAID Volume. If i go through a computer on the network it is horrendously slow. I also tried via FTP but i can't seem to open both volumes in different windows. I was wondering if anyone knows a way to send data quickly from 1 Volume to another. Also, has anyone had success installing the Bit Torrent client on Volume 2 and not 1, or directing the files to download to the 2nd Volume? It just happened that my 2nd Volume is 2TB and 1st if 750GB, so I'd like my media on the bigger volume.

Thanks,

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: how to transfer files between RAID Volumes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »

You can transfer individual files or complete directories/sub-directories using the DNS-343 scheduling functionality.

(1) Login under the "Applications" section of the web interface (rather than configuration).
(2) Navigate to "Scheduling"
(3) For "Type" select "Folder"
(4) For "URL" select the source Volume in your DNS-343
(5) For "Save to" select the destination Volume in your DNS-343
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

phoenix316

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 06:21:59 AM »

Wow, thanks a lot. And that will do it right away or i can schedule to do it at night when there's less network traffic? And this is for volumes on the same machine right, not one 343 to another.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:32:28 AM »

This functionality will copy data between two volumes within the same DNS-343. You can save multiple jobs for different files/directories requiring backup. Each job can be executed ad hoc (at will), one-time schedule, or recurring schedule.

Make sure you check "Incremental Backup" to avoid re-copying the ENTIRE volume each time the job runs.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:57:04 AM »

When you use this functionality, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:

(1) The incremental backup will capture the difference between the source and destination, but will NOT delete files in the destination that were subsequently removed from the source. So, over time your destination (i.e. backup) will grow larger than the source. To address this issue I have a scheduled run of Syncback (freeware backup software) on my PC once a month to reconcile the difference between the two volumes.

(2) The backup functionality has some issues with file names containing certain special characters. If a job encounters an issue with the file name, the job will fail. This issue is somewhat rare, but has cropped up from time to time. The error does not flag the offending file name, so you'll have to do some investigating to isolate and rename the file.