• April 18, 2024, 03:55:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: IP Problems  (Read 24329 times)

frogywill

IP Problems
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:09:23 AM »

I am trying to connect my tiVo and bluRay player to my existing N network. The router is a dlink router as well.

I first plug the DAP1522 to my computer to set it up. The switch is on Bridge. Set up goes fine and I can access the internet from my computer. My computer obtains its IP just fine from the router bridged to the DAP.

It's set up with a static IP, (also reserved in the router)

Then when I move the DAP to where the TiVo and BR are, after it joins the network, ALL my computers get an IP conflict message. They all say that their IP is used by the DAP. I also can no longer log on the DAP interface.

As soon as I unplug the DAP everything comes back to normal.

What could be my problem?

arod

Re: IP Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:46:12 AM »

On the Dlink router, try doing DHCP reservation.. this way your defvices will always pull the same IP address.

frogywill

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:48:41 AM »

The DAP and all my computers have their IP reserved.
The devices attached to the DAP get an IP too. But the DAP itself "steals" the IP of all other devices withing a few seconds.

arod

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:04:12 AM »

How about changing the DAP-1522 to a static IP that is within your IP scope but not in the DHCP range?

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »

Do you unplug power to the DAP before moving it to the TiVo? 

frogywill

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »

Do you unplug power to the DAP before moving it to the TiVo? 

I do...

I guess I can try changing the IP to something else out of the DHCP scope, but it is already set up with a static IP, that doesn't explain why it tries to obtain ALL other IP's on the network.

What's with the MAC cloning option? what should that be set to ? I've disabled it after the problems, and the problems continued...

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:54:56 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't have this so I have to compare it to other bridges I've created.

Then when I move the DAP to where the TiVo and BR are, after it joins the network, ALL my computers get an IP conflict message.
What is connected to the DAP at this point -- just the TiVo and the BR?  I wouldn't expect that message to happen unless there was a third cable connected creating a loop out of the other network segment.

Very odd -- if the answer to the above is just the TiVo and BR and that the unit is powered off before those are hooked up, I'm not sure I can be of much help. That sounds like it should work fine.

frogywill

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:18:41 PM »

Hi
Yes only the TiVo and bluRay are connected.
Today I got it working by bridging it to my G network. It's still not working when bridging it to the N network.
(The N is provided by a Time Capsule in AP mode)

The G bridge won't do it for me, in fact it was worst than the TiVo G wireless adapter. I could not watch more than 10 min of a Netflix stream, when it works just fine with the TiVo adapter...

I really want to get the N bridge working :D

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 01:32:15 PM »

Can you post the verbatim text of the error message that you get on the other computers? 

(IIRC, there are 2-3 conflict messages possible, I want to see which one we have going...)

frogywill

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »

"IP Configuration <IP Address> is in use by <MAC Address of DAP>"
The IP is different on each computer of course.

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »

I am trying to connect my tiVo and bluRay player to my existing N network. The router is a dlink router as well.

I first plug the DAP1522 to my computer to set it up. The switch is on Bridge. Set up goes fine and I can access the internet from my computer. My computer obtains its IP just fine from the router bridged to the DAP.

It's set up with a static IP, (also reserved in the router)

Then when I move the DAP to where the TiVo and BR are, after it joins the network, ALL my computers get an IP conflict message. They all say that their IP is used by the DAP. I also can no longer log on the DAP interface.

As soon as I unplug the DAP everything comes back to normal.

This is a weird one.  These messages appear because a DHCP assignment is monitored that is (allegedly) in conflict.  This could be a side-effect of a router feature that broadcasts DHCP assignments when unicasting is appropriate.  Or, the DAP-1522 could be mangling the DHCP message.  Without sniffing the packets on the wire, it's not possible to tell from here.

If I was having this problem, here's what I would do:

1.  Double-check to make sure I had the latest firmware for the router and the DAP-1522.  Perhaps this is a bug already fixed or worked-around.

If that did not help, then I would endeavor to make DHCP as "standard" as possible, or I would configure the two devices behind the bridge not to use DHCP at all.

1.  In the D-Link router, remove the DHCP IP reservations for the DAP-1522, the TiVo, and the BR.
2.  In the D-Link router, Network Settings or DHCP settings, disable any option to always broadcast DHCP assignments.
3.  After saving settings, remove power from the D-Link router
4.  Remove power from the DAP-1522
5.  Connect it to the TiVo and the BR (set in Bridge Mode)
6.  Restore power to the router and the DAP-1522.

If those steps helped, then you can go into the router's DHCP table and reserve the IPs for the TiVo and the BR permanently.  Again, restart everything.  If everything still was working, then I might add the 192.186.0.50 reservation for the DAP or, if that caused the problem to return, then I might configure the DAP to use a manual IP outside of the DHCP range of the router. 

If those steps did not help, then I would configure the TiVo and the BR simply not to use DHCP.  I would configure them to use manual IP addresses outside of the DHCP range of the router.  This avoids the DAP-1522 and the other devices from using DHCP, so the entire issue that provokes those messages would be avoided.