• March 29, 2024, 04:29:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Restore from DNS-323 configuration backup - failed?  (Read 4094 times)

khhee

• Level 1 Member
Restore from DNS-323 configuration backup - failed?
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:25:36 AM »

Dear all,
I have done configuration restore with the steps below :
  Logon to Web Admin -> TOOLS -> SYSTEM -> Configuration Setting -> Load Configuration Settings.

It take a while to load the backup configuration file for the DNS-323, then it show "restarting the box ..." with 90 seconds count down message. After the storage box was restarted, I lost connection to the box. Now, all my mapping is not working and I couldn't connect to the "Web Admin" anymore. I tried to connect to the storage box using the default URL (http://192.168.0.32/web/login.asp).

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thank you.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Restore from DNS-323 configuration backup - failed?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:02:11 AM »

What did you do that required you to restore the configuration?

Have you tried pushing the reset at the back of the unit?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:44:08 AM »

What did you do that required you to restore the configuration?

Have you tried pushing the reset at the back of the unit?

Some folk have been backing up the configuration and then editing & reloading it, as a "quick & easy" hack - unfortunately - it's pretty easy to slip up and render the unit inaccessible.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

khhee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:02:45 PM »

I have experienced (more than once) sudden power trip (cut off) that screw up the configuration. It happened again this week. I was planning to save the configuration for future restore. So I did the following :

1) save a backup copy of the latest configuration
2) immediately reload the save configuration (without any changes) - to test to ensure this is working.
3) the unit became un-accessable

.... oh, there is a reset button .... Thank Ivan, I'll try that.

khhee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:58:11 PM »

I have pressed and hold the reset button for a few seconds, noticed the unit restarted (judging from the lights on the front panel). Tried the following, it didn't work :

1) search the storage using "D-link easy search utility" - didn't see any storage
2) URL http://192.168.0.38/web/login.asp - no response
3) command prompt> ping 192.168.0.38 - request timed out

Will I lost all my backup data?

Any other idea is really appreciated.

khhee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:04:45 AM »

Correction, it works with a different IP address. It didn't get reset to the default IP address, but was given a dynamic IP.

Ivan & Fordem, thanks for your feedback.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 01:46:01 AM »

If you are experiencing power problems it might be advisable to get a small UPS and use that to power your unit.

It generally helps if you give as much information about the problem as possible - that way those helping know what to consider.

I must congratulate you on trying the restore of your backed up configuration even if it didn't do what you expected.  Too many people do a backup and never test it and then find it doesn't work when they need it.

My experience is, as long as the disks don't suffer malfunctions most, if not all, data can be recovered with a little effort.