• April 23, 2024, 10:27:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DAP-1522 unable to work with DIR-815  (Read 10394 times)

Preludator

• Level 1 Member
DAP-1522 unable to work with DIR-815
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:16:20 AM »

I recently purchased first a DIR-815 router with firmware version 1.0, later on bought a DAP-1522 to add to my wireless network. I didn't want to run cables crossing my living room and kitchen to reach my router. I essentially wanted to connected my media center TV, PS3, DVR to the wireless bridge DAP-1522. I'm not a novice to networking as I do this for a living. After spending long hours of frustrations I just gave up. I am able to connect the bridge to my router wirelessly and everything seems fine on paper; but when I connect my laptop for testing to the DAP-1522 I get access to the internet for maybe 2 minutes and then nothing. I've done all sorts of troubleshooting and still can't figure out whats wrong. I even took the DAP-1522 back to the store and gotten a new one. Gone thru the setup again, and same results... :-[
Am not sure whats causing the router DIR-815 and DAP-1522 to forward traffic. I even put a sniffer to see what was going on. I found out that somehow even the two devices seem to be connected wirelessly; the router will be unable to ping the DAP and viceversa. Wireshark showed that when my pc NIC card is sending HELLO packets to the router *Gateway*, there is no response from the router. So, it leads to think. "OH maybe something is wrong with the router; But it is not the case. I have other wireless devices connected to my router and everything is functioning perfectly. So, leads me to think; there is a possible incompatibility issues with the two devices. The DIR-815 is a new product and apparently there is no newer firmware version later than 1.0
At this point, I don't know what else to do. Why would D-link make products that are incompatible with each other..." Crazy"  ???

Anyone has experienced same issue? or have a fix to this weird problem?

***Remember*** I am able to sync both devices wirelessly whether on 2.4Ghz or even 5Ghz but just don't forward traffic; rarely it works for 2 mins before getting lost in lala land ***

zgates420

• Level 1 Member
Re: DAP-1522 unable to work with DIR-815
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »

I had the exact same problem as you, and if you search on google it is fairly common.  However I am using a different router, a basic wireless N SMC router supplied by my cable company.  I was able to bypass this problem by disabling UPNP on the router - now my DAP 1522 works flawlessly 24/7.  This however is a huge nuisance because I have multiple gaming consoles in this house and basically need to have UPNP because I can only DMZ one of them and am unable to open ports for all devices because I can only open a port for one IP at a time.  I purchased the DIR 815 last night in hopes of correcting this problem but it sounds like that won't be happening if you are having the same issue.  Maybe if disabling UPNP is an option for you you should try it and see if it helps your situation.  There must be some way to make UPNP work with these devices though.  What I've noticed is I eventually get an IP conflict on my pc when I have upnp on.   Anyone have any ideas on what might fix that?  My DAP 1522 is set to static ip (192.168.0.50) and my router is 192.168.0.1.

gplung

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:04:26 AM »

Try This...Set the 1522 to "Auto" for the IP (not static). Then reserve the  1522 IP (that was assigned by the router) address using your routers GUI. Make sure it is in the upper range of your routers assigned IP's. If not, manually change it in the routers IP reservation window. Make sure all the devices plugged into the 1522 are set for "auto" IP. Shut everything down. Power up modem (wait until it is totally rebooted), power up router (wait until it is totally rebooted), then power up the 1522 and PC and or everything else. Everything should now function correctly.

RESteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:51:15 PM »

I have the same problem with my network: my DAP-1522 is connected in bridge mode at WD TV Live and work fine. But when I plug into bridge my BD Player Samsung BD-P2500 the network crash. I think is the mac adresses problem: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=15959.0. I could solve the problem if I could do recognize the name of the bridge to my router (Netgear DG834PN: the BD player and the bridge is not identified by router with any name but only as UNKNOWN (a problem that WD Live not seen: is identified by name as WDTVLIVE).

I also tempting to rename the device but without success: for my router it is still unknown.

We accept tips!

Saxamophone

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »

I had a similar problem trying to connect a DAP-1522 to a DIR-815 on the 5GHz band. The devices connected to the DAP-1522 would lose internet connectivity after about 2 minutes. What fixed it for me was to change the security setting for the 5GHz band to TKIP instead of AES. I had to change the wireless mode to 802.11 Mixed (a/n) so that I could select the TKIP option.

DAP-1522 FW 1.31
DIR-815 FW 1.01

dn99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »

I just bought a DAP-1522 to use with my DIR-815 as I had used the earlier version previously with a DIR-655 successfully for about 5 years.

It took me several hours to get the set up to work. I began by trying WPS both just using the PBC and by logging into the admin screen and triggering there. Both worked in terms of successfully connecting the devices to each other but neither allowed me to connect to the internet through the 1522. I tried both bridge and AP modes. I wanted to use mine as a bridge ultimately, so my switch was in bridge mode when I ran through these next steps.

I'm running firmware versions: 1.01 on the 815 and 2.02 on the 1522.

What worked for me was to completely reset my DIR-815 (I had a bunch of reserved DHCP addresses but many were old so it was good housekeeping for me) and also reset the DAP-1522, so both were running default out-of-the-box settings from DLink.

Once this was done, I used WPS PBC mode from the admin console of the DIR-815. It worked within 15 or 20 seconds, and I was then able to see that the WPS connection had worked and it had set up a new SSID for the network and also a very long network key within the admin console of the 815.

I verified that I could hit the internet from a laptop that I connected via ethernet cable to the DAP-1522. I had to turn off my wi-fi radio to get the laptop to use the ethernet card by default. I also did this so I knew any signal was coming through the 1522.

Once that was done I unplugged the DAP-1522 and moved it to my media center and connected my PS3 and ran the network setup for the PS3 in easy mode. It detected the device, and pulled an IP.

The final thing to do is was to change the SSID (Wireless Network Name) and the network key back to something more usable, because by default the WPS setup had assigned a 64 digit alphanumeric string and also a funky SSID.

I had to log into the DIR-815 admin console -> wireless settings -> manual wireless connection set up and change the SSID and network key for both radios (2.4GHz and 5GHz).

Then I logged into the DAP-1522 using my ethernet cable and laptop, and changed the SSID and network key there to match. SSID can be different, but mine matches the DIR-815 since it's not broadcasting from bridge mode, I don't care.

I rebooted both devices after making these changes and everything worked great and is working great.

I've attached other tablets and laptops via wi-fi, and also reserved some IPs in the 815 without issue.

Hope others find this useful.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »

Any status on this?

???

I just bought a DAP-1522 to use with my DIR-815 as I had used the earlier version previously with a DIR-655 successfully for about 5 years.

It took me several hours to get the set up to work. I began by trying WPS both just using the PBC and by logging into the admin screen and triggering there. Both worked in terms of successfully connecting the devices to each other but neither allowed me to connect to the internet through the 1522. I tried both bridge and AP modes. I wanted to use mine as a bridge ultimately, so my switch was in bridge mode when I ran through these next steps.

I'm running firmware versions: 1.01 on the 815 and 2.02 on the 1522.

What worked for me was to completely reset my DIR-815 (I had a bunch of reserved DHCP addresses but many were old so it was good housekeeping for me) and also reset the DAP-1522, so both were running default out-of-the-box settings from DLink.

Once this was done, I used WPS PBC mode from the admin console of the DIR-815. It worked within 15 or 20 seconds, and I was then able to see that the WPS connection had worked and it had set up a new SSID for the network and also a very long network key within the admin console of the 815.

I verified that I could hit the internet from a laptop that I connected via ethernet cable to the DAP-1522. I had to turn off my wi-fi radio to get the laptop to use the ethernet card by default. I also did this so I knew any signal was coming through the 1522.

Once that was done I unplugged the DAP-1522 and moved it to my media center and connected my PS3 and ran the network setup for the PS3 in easy mode. It detected the device, and pulled an IP.

The final thing to do is was to change the SSID (Wireless Network Name) and the network key back to something more usable, because by default the WPS setup had assigned a 64 digit alphanumeric string and also a funky SSID.

I had to log into the DIR-815 admin console -> wireless settings -> manual wireless connection set up and change the SSID and network key for both radios (2.4GHz and 5GHz).

Then I logged into the DAP-1522 using my ethernet cable and laptop, and changed the SSID and network key there to match. SSID can be different, but mine matches the DIR-815 since it's not broadcasting from bridge mode, I don't care.

I rebooted both devices after making these changes and everything worked great and is working great.

I've attached other tablets and laptops via wi-fi, and also reserved some IPs in the 815 without issue.

Hope others find this useful.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.