• May 03, 2024, 08:28:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Lost FTP connection  (Read 24843 times)

HSishi

• Level 2 Member
Re: Lost FTP connection
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »

Mh, this is getting weird ... the adress cj136.gotdns.com is now resolved to 192.168.2.100 (still an internal IP).

Ok ... I assume your router's HW revision is NOT "DIR-655_REVB".
In this case, update your router's firmware (current FV revision is 1.35, you have 1.21) which fixes alot of bugs (including port forwarding and DDNS issues).
Start here to look for new firmware and maybe additional software: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DIR-655&tab=3

If upgrading the firmware does not help, we have to dig further.

In this case, please tell us more about your internet connection, esp. if your router is behind another router (means your network is a part of a company, college or university network).
If this is the case, neither your router nor your NAS may able to detect the correct "external" IP. And, to make it more worse, you won't be able to provide FTP services without approvement because the admin of your overall network structure has to grant you specific ports which have to be forwarded to *your* router and, from there, forwarded to your NAS.

DSL-over-satellite and (maybe) cable networks usually share *one* IP with multiple customers and the companies use NAT (via the MAC adresses of the access points given to their customers) which doesn't allow customer-sided servers.

But if your router connects directly into the internet, using PPPoE or any kind of DSL "Dial-in" you should be fine. Could you provide a screenshot of the status page? For security you can wipe the last two octets of your current IP but we have to see at least the first two parts of your IP to see if it's a special network or a provider's pool IP.

//HSishi
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:00:07 PM by HSishi »

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »

Ok this is strange.

I have been using the FTP function for about a year now. I thought my problem started after upgrading the NAS firmware. It had been recommended that I do a reset of the NAS, which I did, but with no luck.

I had both DDNS running on router and NAS and have disabled the NAS side.

It is strange that it now resolves to internal .100. I have a static connection to the NAS of.105

I may add that I have a VOIP connection that was behind the router until I had connection drop outs so it was recommended that it be before the router. I have not had phone connection problems since. My account is with Phonepower. It has been a good service for only $12 a month!

My esp is with Comcast.net in central New Jersey. And my Host DNS service was upgraded to pro in the hope of fixing the problem.

http://home.comcast.net/~cjmedina/Capture7.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~cjmedina/Stat.JPG

Here's my hardware version:

http://home.comcast.net/~cjmedina/HV.JPG

I really don't want to upgrade the router firmware. It has been working before with this version I have and I just don't want to open another can of worms if you know what I'm saying?

When I did a check for firmware update it says I have the latest version!

If anything I would replace this router with a better one with less head aces.

Any recommendations for a good wireless router?

Cliff
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:15:04 AM by cjmedina »

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 02:04:21 PM »

I may add that I have a VOIP connection that was behind the router until I had connection drop outs so it was recommended that it be before the router.

I guess that solves that one then. Would that be the "Grandstream" device by any chance? It may have helped 2 pages ago to mention that network change ;)
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »

So that may be the problem but how can I now get my FTP working again with the VOIP setup?

Cliff

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 03:33:17 AM »

Well - as the first step you're going to have to fix the name resolution - if you can't resolve the name you can't connect.

Try running a PC based dynDNS client and see what happens
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »

Thanks you....

How do I fix the name resolution.

Can you recommend a client. I will also need to know how to set it up.

Cliff

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:17:57 PM by fordem »

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 06:18:15 AM »

What do you mean by "name resolution"?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 03:31:29 AM »

HSishi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 07:42:27 AM »

DynDNS has a windows-based update client which calls a script on their website ( http://checkip.dyndns.com/ ) and get the IP which your provider assigned to you as response. --> http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

Anyway, some things become clear now.
Your router does NOT have a direct internet connection, it gets his IP adress from the VoIP hardware device. So the best is to disable the router's DHCP and use the one of the VoIP hardware only.

Try the following:
1. Inform yourself if the router has a "hardwired" emergency IP adress and the settings you have to set your PC's LAN adapter to, in case the following steps do not work (some of routers have it in case DHCP doesn't work and the router's default IP was altered.)
2. Backup / export your router's settings (in case you have to hardware-reset it)
3. Disable the router's DHCP server.
4. Set all LAN clients to get their IP via DHCP.

This should force your clients to try to get IP adresses from the VoIP hardware.

If this does NOT work, you have to
- hardware-reset your router
- connect to your router via default or emergency IP adress
- re-import the previous exported settings so you have a working router again.
- Connect the WAN cable to the router.

I *still* recommend to update your router's firmware. "It worked for so long without problems" does NOT mean this will last forever - if this would be the case we wouldn't have this thread here ;) .

Maybe you can use your VoIP hardware *behind* the router as you did before. If your router builds up the internet connection your NAS won't have any trouble to update DynDNS anymore.

//HSishi
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:44:43 AM by HSishi »

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »

Thanks,

For all the help.

I will work on it in a few days and get back to you with the results.

I don't want to put the VOIP behind the router and have my phone service go out like it did every few weeks.

CJ

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »

DynDNS has a windows-based update client which calls a script on their website ( http://checkip.dyndns.com/ ) and get the IP which your provider assigned to you as response. --> http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

Anyway, some things become clear now.
Your router does NOT have a direct internet connection, it gets his IP adress from the VoIP hardware device. So the best is to disable the router's DHCP and use the one of the VoIP hardware only.

Try the following:
1. Inform yourself if the router has a "hardwired" emergency IP adress and the settings you have to set your PC's LAN adapter to, in case the following steps do not work (some of routers have it in case DHCP doesn't work and the router's default IP was altered.)
2. Backup / export your router's settings (in case you have to hardware-reset it)
3. Disable the router's DHCP server.
4. Set all LAN clients to get their IP via DHCP.

This should force your clients to try to get IP adresses from the VoIP hardware.

If this does NOT work, you have to
- hardware-reset your router
- connect to your router via default or emergency IP adress
- re-import the previous exported settings so you have a working router again.
- Connect the WAN cable to the router.

I *still* recommend to update your router's firmware. "It worked for so long without problems" does NOT mean this will last forever - if this would be the case we wouldn't have this thread here ;) .

Maybe you can use your VoIP hardware *behind* the router as you did before. If your router builds up the internet connection your NAS won't have any trouble to update DynDNS anymore.

//HSishi

I'm going to take a bet that this fails miserably.

WHen you disable the router's DHCP functionality, it's not going to pass the DHCP requests through to the VOIP device on the other side - you'll simply end up with a bunch of PCs reporting limited connectivity.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 03:29:29 AM »

DynDNS has a windows-based update client which calls a script on their website ( http://checkip.dyndns.com/ ) and get the IP which your provider assigned to you as response.
Just so you know - all the script does is extract the source ip address from the incoming request and display it - now, if folks who wrote the update clients would do that, it would guarantee the correct ip address, but the dilemma now becomes knowing when it changes to prevent abuse lockouts.

At this point there is obviously a string of daisy chained routers - the VOIP device apparently acts as a router, and that is followed by another router which is the one we have been hearing about all along - even if you get the name resolution problem fixed, the daisy chained routers are going to cause you issues with port forwarding.

The solution is to get rid of one of the routers - since you want the VOIP - then find a VOIP box that can meet your routing needs, possibly adding a wireless access point.

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:24 AM »

Thanks Fordem,

Would this work?

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=446

CJ

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »

First - that appears to be a discontinued product, and whilst I have nothing against discontinued products, and use them personally, especially when it means saving a dollar - I do so with the knowledge that I can resolve whatever issues may arise without having to contact support - you need to consider that aspect of it.

Second - you're asking if it will work - without providing any information as to what it is you're trying to achieve, and how you plan to get there - that router is one end of a connection, the other end connects to a telephone system somewhere - I have no idea of who your VOIP provider is, what equipment they use, nothing - your first step should be to ask them what works for them, if a particular product doesn't work or is not supported, then don't consider it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4