• April 26, 2024, 12:59:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alternative to DNS 323??  (Read 12331 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Alternative to DNS 323??
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 03:11:29 PM »

I'm still trying to buy that unwanted Synology NAS. :D
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Elpinnen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 04:50:48 AM »

This is wy my next box will be a Synology...

Password wise, on the DNS if you password protect 1 folder, no "guest" can access any unprotected folder...
to access them, they need an account on the DNS, not so with the Synology....

enigmab17

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 05:05:36 AM »

Don't know about Alternatives really...in all honesty I love my DNS-323's.

They are currently acting as my media server and a backup server for the media server, and currently they have done most of what I have asked of them with no modding required.

In a few months will be getting another 2, basically going to have 2 data drives and 2 backups, so my hope is my 2 new ones will act as my primary nas and my 2 dns-323 will sit in the background as a backup device when required.

Synology stuff intrigues me however comes off as a little too expensive, personally going to wait for this 325 to come out and see what the reviews are like before I make any hard decisions. :)

MJBURNS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »

Reading this thread is amusing, but it's pretty much an exercise in intellectual masturbation. If both units have gigabit interfaces, there must be a bottle neck elsewhere in their respective systems to explain the speed difference. Do these units have any significant RAM in them to buffer data transfers? The one odd thing I find about these cheap NAS systems is the lack of a RAM slot. My cheap HP printer had a slot that allowed me to load it with 512MB of RAM for $50. I hacked my gen 1 Tivo almost a decade ago and put 512MB in it to speed it up. Using a few gig of RAM in a NAS for buffering would seem like a cheap way to speed the network interactions considerably.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:33:52 PM by MJBURNS »

MJBURNS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »

OK, I'll bite. The previous post I had to edit a zillion times because the forum kept staring out (***) every time I used the two words "h-a-l-f g-i-g" or "h-a-l-f g-i-g-a-b-y-t-e" (obviously without the hyphens). It finally took it when I used "512MB". What the hell is that about?!?!?

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »

For what it worths, I have to say DNS-323 is stable and trustworthy. It works wonderfully, so far. I know it may not be a rocket speed device but I have tried others and trust me values such as safety, feature list, interface, responsiveness and robustness are more important than speed.

BTW, my problem is that the 2 x 1.5TB disks are almost full and I'll need to expand soon. Any ideas on how to do it effortlessly without putting my data in danger, of course?  :)

Cliff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »

I also went through this decision tree. I looked at the synology but ended up getting the QNap TS-219P
http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=122. I think the synology is a good choice as well.

What helped me pick the QNap was the inclusion of an eSata port. Also, now that I have this box and have worked with it I am still extremely pleased with it. One nice feature which I use is an automatic incremental backup to another QNap across the internet. Off-site backup issue solved.

Good luck
Pages: 1 [2]