• April 19, 2024, 06:39:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-615 VPN wont work  (Read 40490 times)

Bikerbob

DIR-615 VPN wont work
« on: December 24, 2008, 09:19:25 AM »

Hi,

Trying to setup a simple XP SOHO VPN.

IT all works if I put the machine on DMZ

But it does not if I try and route the traffic.

Router is B2 Firmware 2.25

I have the AGLs checks or not.. ports 1723 and 500 and or 50-51 47 forwarded or not..

ONly putting the machine on DMZ works.

Any help would be great.

James

funchords

• Level 3 Member
Re: DIR-615 VPN wont work
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

This is what works for my DIR-655.  I think I'm seeing a trend that if an ALG is written, that other methods (like Port Triggering and Port Forwarding) are preempted and do not work.

If you have created other rules for the VPN, remove them as they may interfere. 

Go to Advanced - Virtual Server -- Instead of filling in the boxes manually, choose the PPTP entry from the Application List drop-down box, then hit the arrow to the left.  Do the same for the Computer entry.  Mark the checkbox to the left and then hit Save settings. 

Please let me know.  If this doesn't work, check the log to see if there are any error messages logged.

GBradburn

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:01:21 AM »

I am also having problems with VPN.  In my case it looks like I have a valid connection but not all functions are working.  I can access certain portions of my work network but not others (e.g., Outlook e-mail and the internal web pages are not accessible, though I can ping the web server by name).

Cisco Systems VPN Client 4.8.01.0300

I can't find anything that would allow me to set PPTP and IPSec pass through modes. 

I tried the suggestion from funchords but with no success.

Bikerbob

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »

This is what works for my DIR-655.  I think I'm seeing a trend that if an ALG is written, that other methods (like Port Triggering and Port Forwarding) are preempted and do not work.

If you have created other rules for the VPN, remove them as they may interfere. 

Go to Advanced - Virtual Server -- Instead of filling in the boxes manually, choose the PPTP entry from the Application List drop-down box, then hit the arrow to the left.  Do the same for the Computer entry.  Mark the checkbox to the left and then hit Save settings. 

Please let me know.  If this doesn't work, check the log to see if there are any error messages logged.

ok I am giving this a try.. I made the changes to the router, and it went in fine, just cant log in to work, from work.. so I need an outside computer to try.

Thanks for the suggestion, btw this was not in the original firmware.. this pptp option was new in 2.25.

Thanks

James

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:28:04 PM »

I am a DIR-655 owner, so I'm helping as if I had a DIR-615 but I do not.  If I mislead you, please blame me and not D-Link.   ;)

The PPTP Virtual Server should be what you need, but one other port that might help is UDP 500. 

First, check the logs after a failure and see if there are any clues (like packet drops that are clearly related, not just the normal background port-scan noise).   

If that's no help, then create a second rule for WAN UDP 500 to the server computer UDP 500.  (I don't need this for PPTP but maybe I would if I did IPSEC). 

CelloX78

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:33:32 PM »

I have the same problem. Cannot connect to my work VPN, unless I bypass the DIR-615 (version D2) going straight into the Virgin Media DSL modem. Very annoying.

I actually tried to upload a different firmware, from the virgin 1.0VG to the DIR615_v4.11_B02.bin but nothing changed.

There must be a work around.

Can anybody help please?

Thanks

inexplicable

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:44:26 AM »

I'm having exactly the same problem with the latest 4.11 firmware and a pptp VPN service (strongvpn.com). It's very frustrating as I've opened all relevant ports 1723, 500 etc. And it will sometimes work but only about once in twenty attempts, which obviously makes no sense at all.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

CelloX78

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:26:54 AM »

I have made progress.
I have opened all the relevant VPN ports (1723, 47) for my Laptop fixed IP address in the "Advanced Port Forwarding Rules".
Now It works once every 5 attempts (as an average)...which is OK! as when it kicks in it's nice and stable for hours...

coldkod

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »

guys, here is how I fixed my problem with the pptp VPN

http://www.geeksonwork.com/fix-pptp-vpn-on-dlink-dir-615-hardware-revision-d1.html