• March 29, 2024, 06:30:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Format hangs at 94%  (Read 42156 times)

jswashburn

Format hangs at 94%
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:12:16 PM »

First off, I assume both the DNS-323 and DNS-321 share the same code base for the firmware, because I'm getting the exact same issue found in this post http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1958.0

My hardware is as follows. A D-Link DNS-323 (hardware version A1) with 2x Western Digital 500GB drives (model WD5000AAKS)

I've got two Hitachi 60GB drive that will format in RAID1 just fine, but I'm unable to get my two Western Digital 500GB drives to do the same. Regardless if they are formatted one at a time, JBOD, RAID0 or RAID1, it always hangs at 94%.

I've already updated the firmware to rev 1.05 and reset back to factory defaults. From there, I disabled power mangement and set the page timeout to 90 minutes. I've tried setting both drives to SATA-1 transfer mode using a provided jumper. Using a diagnostic utility from WD, I ran full tests and erased both drives with a low-level format. I've also tried this using IE7, Firefox 2, and Firefox 3. No go, same 94% formatting issue.

Any suggestions other than returning my two drives? Or should I hold out for an updated 1.06 firmware rev? Please fix this soon, I really have a lot of data I need to dump someplace safe.  :'(

mediamanrit

Re: Format hangs at 94%
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:52:23 PM »

I had this problem with Internet Explorer...if I let it sit another hour, then reset the device, it worked fine.  Alternatively, if you access the setup wizard with Firefox (what I did on my 2nd device), it works fine.

--Brian

jswashburn

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »

I've also tried this using IE7, Firefox 2, and Firefox 3. No go, same 94% formatting issue.

As I've stated above, I tried three seperate browsers. I've even cleared out IE, Firefox cache and ensured all browers are set back to default settings.

For what it's worth, I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit (Ya ya, I know...).

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »

Please try these steps if you see a format hang up in 94% during RAID fault tolerance test.

1. Use 1.05 firmware
2. Clean the web browser cookie (tools-->internet options-->delete cookies).
3. Do the raid1 format again.

Try another browser if you still see this issue on your PC.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:46:05 PM »

Using a diagnostic utility from WD, I ran full tests and erased both drives with a low-level format.

Have you tried removing all partitions from both drives as apposed to using utilities? I just tested the 5000AAKS model and did not see this issue on the DNS-323, DNS-343, DNS-321.

jswashburn

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »

Have you tried removing all partitions from both drives as apposed to using utilities?

Just so we're all clear. A Low-Level format erases everything on the drive. Regardless of what file systems or partitions are on a drive, once low-level formatted, it's gone. Technically, all sector bits are flipped back to zeros.

When you format a drive the long way with ether an OS install or NAS device, it's classified as a High-Level format.

So to answer your question, a Low-Level format supersedes any manual partition removal. Without question, it's a thorough wipe to bare metal.

jswashburn

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »

I just tested the 5000AAKS model and did not see this issue on the DNS-323, DNS-343, DNS-321.

Interesting. What DNS-323 hardware rev were you using? Mine says A1. Also, did you run the web interface from XP or Vista?

ats65

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »

I have similar problem.  What I did to fix the problem is to take the drive out and connect it to a computer, delete all the partitions and then format it from windows.  Once the drive is formatted, I put it back into the NAS and format it again. 

jswashburn

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »

Guys, I've already flushed my browser cache from their individual settings. In fact, I've even cleaned out all temp files too with CCleaner. No go, same issue.

Any other suggestions?

Tullaian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »

I have exactly the same problem with some Seagate 750GB drives. 94% hang every time attempting to set them up for RAID1. I got my DNS-323 today and have now spent a good part of 8 hours wrestling with this thing trying to get the thing formatted.

I've upgraded to the 1.05 firmware, I've deleted cookies/emptied cache. I've physically removed the drives , reset the device , re-installed and it has happend over and over now.

I tried formatting both drives seperately where it hangs at 94%, but on reboot the drive is accessible and readable. Now whenever I try a RAID format it fails.. but the drives are still individually accessible. If it was actually doing a format, they should end up after each failed effort as unreadable especially trying a RAID format.

I'm also somewhat troubled by the fact that every single menu item you click on leads to a broken page with a redirect to get to the correct menu tab. I mean it works, but surely every single menu page having a broken link on it was noticed when the device was being shipped ?

The device is HW version B1, shipped as F/W 1.03 now upgraded to 1.05.
The drives are : Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200RPM 32MB SATA 1.5Gbs (ST3750330AS)
Using XP / IE7

I can see many mentions of the 94% failure to format on various forums on the web, so this is by no means an isolated occurance.

I'm sitting here looking at yet another 94% failure. At this stage the device is basically an expensive paperweight and there doesn't seem to be any other options to try. The device simply won't format these drives correctly and imo it isn't actually even trying to format them as the drives formatted seperately are remaining readable after a failed RAID format attempt.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:24:41 AM by Tullaian »

Tullaian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 12:59:05 AM »

Yet another 94% failure, trying to format both discs together under the RAID menu but as seperate discs. Up to the 94% mark could see both drives periodically flashing.. at 94% activity stops and this message displayed.

"This document has moved to a new location. Please update your documents to reflect the new location. " Under the progress bar.

Location was a hyperlink to here ; http://192.168.1.102/web/formatHD/format_disk_status.asp?id=3647845

Clicking on it just displays another progress bar frozen at 94%.

Reboot device and sure enough both drives still seem to think they are ok and seperately accessible. I also see that the device names are different (one shows as DNS-323 which I had renamed it to, the other still shows dlink94F-876 which is its default name) yet another indication that the format isn't actually doing anything.

edit - so downloaded Mozilla as it was suggested as a possible part of the solution. Under Mozilla all the broken links at least work, so those are definately caused in some way by IE7 (had popup blocker turned off still happened). Trying a format via mozilla at the moment.

edit edit - hung at 94% trying via Mozilla to access device.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 02:52:39 AM by Tullaian »

Tullaian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 01:20:29 AM »

Similar also to problem reported here

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1872.0

I tried the suggestion there to do multuple restore to factory settings/reboots then reformat. Same problem crashes at 94% again.

Tullaian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 01:23:34 AM »

Also noticed that last attempt that you reach a point where the progress bar continues to move but the drive activity lights no longer flash, they are just steady blue but no evidence of ongoing activity. I've just watched it on this current attempt go from 70% to 85% without any activity light flashes from either drive. Earlier in the process the 2 drives would alternate visibile activity. And of course it hung again at 94%.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:25:25 AM by Tullaian »

Tullaian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 05:16:01 AM »

So just to sum up the 10 glorious hours I've spent today on this stupid device.

I've tried accessing the DNS323 from multiple PC's with multiple browers. I've tried the drives in the device solo, in pairs in normal, jbod, raid1,raid0 and they all result in a hang at 94%. No matter what I do, the DNS323 reports back that the drives are in the unit in 2 volumes both identical;

Volume Name:  Volume_1
Total Hard Drive Capacity:  737329 MB
Used Space:  24 KB
Unused Space:  737329 MB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volume Name:  Volume_2
Total Hard Drive Capacity:  737329 MB
Used Space:  24 KB
Unused Space:  737329 MB

If I go to the Tools>RAID menu option it remains stuck on "change the hard drive configuration or format the newly installed 2nd drive" and the option to Set RAID type and format is availiable. Clicking this just loops over and over with a hang at 94%.

The drives seem to think they are working, but there is no way I can trust any data to them as they've never reported back that they have completed formatting correctly, and the system still seems to think the 2nd drive isn't formatting even though the system menu says it is.

Done for the day giving up.

Tullaian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »

So back again trying again.. same problem the following day.

I've now found this thread here

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1920.msg9378

Under point 15 it appears that these DNS systems can get themselves totally screwed up with the partitions they create and for whatever reason the formatting they have internally to them can't reinitialise a disc properly. From the problems I've seen here with the drive labels not reformatting, and failed formatting still producing readable discs I'd conclude that is the problem.

Now my only solution appears to be to buy another hard drive enclosure for the sole purpose of deleting a partition on the discs before putting them back into the dns-323 (if I'd had a spare drive bay I wouldn't have needed the dns-323 in the first place). There is no option in the menu to delete a partition or to recover from a failed format attempt as per the suggestion there, that really needs to be in the tools availiable to the command console.

Pages: [1] 2 3