• April 18, 2024, 02:20:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Print server  (Read 9459 times)

ktb1356

Print server
« on: April 01, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »

Hey all, I'm a new DNS-323 owner and I've been searching this thread for information on the DNS-323 print server.  I have connected my HP Photosmart D5160 (D5100 series) printer to the DNS-323 with limited success, and came here looking for suggestions/answers.

I use Windows XP on two of my networked computers, and Windows Media Edition on my laptop.  My DNS-323 is using firmware1.03.  I can print from Notepad (.txt) and my browser (Firefox), but not from Adobe Reader (.pdf) or Word (.doc)... note that these are the ones I have tried.  In the case of Notepad and Firefox, print spooling is VERY VERY slow... I'd like know if that can be sped up, if possible.  In the case of .pdf and .doc, the respective programs just crash ('program is not responding') after several minutes.

Is it that my printer is not compatible, or is there something I can do to fix this issue?  I have, of course, followed all the 'install printer' directions to get my printer installed and recognized by my pc's.  Oh and my DNS-323 is on a static IP.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can give me.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Print server
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »

Try this,

Requirements:

-Printer drivers available
-IP Address of the DNS-323

1. Uninstall the printer you added, "lp on dns-323".
2. Go to Add Printer, Run the Add printer wizard.
3. Select "Local Printer"
4. Select NEW port, Local Port
5. When you receive the "Enter a port name" dialog type in, "\\192.168.0.32\lp" where 192.168.0.32 is the IP address of your DNS-323.
6. Follow the rest of the wizard steps and when it asks for drivers select have disk and point the directory to your driver folder.

ktb1356

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »

Thank you for your reply.  I will try this and let you know how it works. :)  Many thanks again.

JonClaud

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »

These are the HP Printers that have been tested and are in an FAQ on the website for the DNS-323.
HP
DeskJet 920C
LaserJet 1160
Color LaserJet 2600n
DeskJet 3325
Color LaserJet 3550

Note yours is not on the list. However, I am not saying it will not work because it is not on the list but just be aware the drivers may sometimes not be fully compatible with the DNS-323 firmware.

ktb1356

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:22:50 AM »

I installed my printer following this suggestion.  My printer shows as READY, appears in printer lists, but failed to print a test page at the end. :(

Try this,

Requirements:

-Printer drivers available
-IP Address of the DNS-323

1. Uninstall the printer you added, "lp on dns-323".
2. Go to Add Printer, Run the Add printer wizard.
3. Select "Local Printer"
4. Select NEW port, Local Port
5. When you receive the "Enter a port name" dialog type in, "\\192.168.0.32\lp" where 192.168.0.32 is the IP address of your DNS-323.
6. Follow the rest of the wizard steps and when it asks for drivers select have disk and point the directory to your driver folder.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:26:19 AM by ktb1356 »

ktb1356

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »

Good news!  I have been able to resolve the printer issue and my printer now prints every time, and fast (like it should)!  I googled and followed the instructions I found on another forum. (I think this is a hacker forum, so I won't provide the link)

Basically, I first installed my printer connected directly to my computer.  Then I went to its PROPERTIES, PORTS, ADD PORT, and typed in my <DNS-323_STATIC_IP\lp> while it was still attached to my computer.  Clicked OK.  Then I moved the printer from my computer and plugged it into the DNS-323.  Without any further adjustments, I could then without problems!  I guess this is every similar to the suggestion above, with the exception that you configure the port while the printer is still attached to your computer.

If anyone reading this has similar print issues, I suggest you try this method if you have not already.  Thanks everyone again for your help and suggestions.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:09:19 AM by ktb1356 »

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »

Another solution

Looks like the problem is really on 1.04 firmware.
If you have telnet access to you DNS-323 you can see the following.
samba configuration file points to called .lpd located at \mnt\HD_a2, this was correct for firmware version 1.03 but firmware 1.04 creates this diretory (.lpd) at \mnt\HD_a4.
If you copy the .lpd directory from \mnt\HD_a2 to \mnt\HD_a4 and reboot the dns-323, voila, everything works again as used to work at 1.03.
Looks like somebody at DLink decided to change the .lpd directory location and forgot to change the samba configuration file.

Obs: Since the Samba configuration file is saved on memory to copy the directory was a easier solution (it is located at the hard disk).

Obs2: Please DLink, could you verify this and all other configuration files when you issue 1.05 to avaid 2 months of reserach and problems?

Cheers

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:15:20 PM »

Another solution

Looks like the problem is really on 1.04 firmware.
If you have telnet access to you DNS-323 you can see the following.
samba configuration file points to called .lpd located at \mnt\HD_a2, this was correct for firmware version 1.03 but firmware 1.04 creates this diretory (.lpd) at \mnt\HD_a4.
If you copy the .lpd directory from \mnt\HD_a2 to \mnt\HD_a4 and reboot the dns-323, voila, everything works again as used to work at 1.03.
Looks like somebody at DLink decided to change the .lpd directory location and forgot to change the samba configuration file.

Obs: Since the Samba configuration file is saved on memory to copy the directory was a easier solution (it is located at the hard disk).

Obs2: Please DLink, could you verify this and all other configuration files when you issue 1.05 to avaid 2 months of reserach and problems?

Cheers

Shouldn't that be the other way around - copy the folder from /mnt/HD_a4 to /mnt/HD_a2 - it also works if you just create it with mkdir and then chmod it.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 01:21:42 PM »

You are right fordem (my error since I cut and past to avoid to rewrite the full path).
I did not try to just mkdir the folder but it must work as you say.
Hope next time DLink takes care to synchronize the samba config files with the modifications they implement and save us some precious time.

Cheers

Peter

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 07:33:42 AM »

Was sold DPR-1260 (prntsrvr) for wrls net with mixed OS's - XP Pro and Vista.  The prntr is Xerox 6180.  Tell me that D-Link does
not speak either Vista or Xerox.  I can find no way to install and want confirmation.  D-Link support is on sabatical.
Thank you.
Peter

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 07:42:41 AM »

Peter

This forum is specific to the DNS-323, you may have posted in a print server thread, but it is print server that is a part of a D-Link NAS device known as the DNS-323, and you are not likely to get answers to questions not related to that device.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.