• April 23, 2024, 03:23:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: USB external drive on DNS-325  (Read 21027 times)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
USB external drive on DNS-325
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »

I'm considering replacing my DNS-323 and the DNS-325's data sheet shows that it supports USB storage - my main interest in the USB port is backing up the 325 to an external hard drive - is this supported in the firmware?

The manual only shows a USB flash drive being copied TO the 325 when a back panel button is pushed.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: USB external drive on DNS-325
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:33:37 PM »

The current firmware only implements USB to NAS as demonstrated in the manual. The drive is accessible over Samba when plugged into the NAS however a one touch or even software backup is not currently available from NAS to USB. This should be available in a future release or as per usual, there are always other ways to achieve features faster :0. Fully intend to have both features on this model however it takes more time for NAS to USB to check drive types etc and whether or not we decide to support NTFS drives as read AND write.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 06:12:44 PM »

To be honest, I'm not interested in hacking the unit - I'm looking for exactly the same thing I was back when I bought the DNS-323 (and never quite got), reliable small office storage for non-technical users - don't get me wrong, the only way the 323 failed to deliver was the lack of a cost effective way to back it up - quite seriously - it's the only function that the unit is missing, come on, a storage server with no way to back it up?

I've recognized the 323 is approaching end-of-life - the chances of some form of backup being added in a firmware update are unlikely, I was hoping that it's replacement would have it.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »

Yes I am aware of some its limitations. We have made a few steps towards that with Rsync being embedded in the firmware and allowing things such as fxp over ftp however USB was slightly neglected. These units will be receiving more updates this year and backup to USB is definitely on the action list. Thank you for your support thus far in the forums and I hope we can meet your requirements shortly.

porga

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:44:35 AM »

Yes I am aware of some its limitations. We have made a few steps towards that with Rsync being embedded in the firmware and allowing things such as fxp over ftp however USB was slightly neglected. These units will be receiving more updates this year and backup to USB is definitely on the action list. Thank you for your support thus far in the forums and I hope we can meet your requirements shortly.

Well, this was written long time ago and USB is still neglected. As I published today:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=50236.0

and also, there is no way to backup on USB drive yet.

saskpc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »

Has there been any update or ways found to backup to external hard drive?

josema

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »

Greetings. I am also interested in this feature. But no updates.

But for now the latest firmware version is 1.03 and it does not implement the service.

Are there any updates planned for this year 2013 that includes this feature?
"Hi ha gent a qui no agrada que es parle, s'escriga o es pense en català.
És la mateixa gent a qui no agrada que es parle, s'escriga o es pense."

Superzar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:34:39 AM »

I've been using a Lexar 32g USB memory stick plugged into the USB port as an external storage since day one.  I can move/copy files from it to anywhere in my network.  It essentially acts as a volume_3!  What's great too is that when I access this drive it doesn't wake up my disk drives (Volume_1/2) if they're asleep.

I'm currently using it to record video from my Axis IP cameras, and it's working perfectly with no issues! These files can then be read, moved/copied to other network devices.

According to the manual/specs I shouldn't be able to do this, but it definitely does work. I formatted the USB with NTFS, plugged it into the DNS325 then turned it on. It should then become available on your network as USBDisk1_1. I'm using Windows 7/8.  My 325 has not been modified/hacked in anyway.

I have not tried it with a USB disk drive however.

QuBaum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 04:23:01 AM »

Well, the last post on this subject was back in 2013. It's been about 4 years on this thread.

I the DNS-325 is nearing it's end of support days, but mine is still chugging along as a total champ!! I too have been limited with external backups in general. As far at via USB- my DNS325 has the option "USB to NAS", and "NAS to USB", as as scheduled event.

My problem is this:

I have a 2TB Western Digtal Caviar Black mounted in an USB 3.0 external drive enclosure. Three partitions. All three NTFS. The drive works fine when connected to my laptop, but when I connect to the NAS, I have three things happen. 1) The NAS chokes and hangs 2) the NAS reports it can see he USB, but only reports the presence and brand- no volume(s) and 3) doesn't see a USB at all.

Is there any hope you, anyone sees my problem and has a solution PLEASE contact me.  I know... this thread is quite old. Chances are slim...

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

I presume maybe the size of the HDD drives maybe not supported and using a USB 3.0 drive connected to a USB 2.0 port may not work well either.
Does this USB drive have it's own power supply as well?

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.