• April 24, 2024, 02:55:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Degraded and then 3 drives fail  (Read 2249 times)

Hobson

• Level 1 Member
Degraded and then 3 drives fail
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

This has been driving me crazy.

After I noticed that the unit said that the RAID was degraded, I tried to back it up.  I could only read the data WHILE it was resync-ing.  Once the unit said the resync was done, the data would appear corrupted.

But I think I got everything off by only backing up while it was resync-ing.  Now, when I do the diagnostic tests on the drives, 3 out of 4 fail. (Although they all show "Normal" under status). They are all identical Hitachi 1TB drives and only a few months old.

Can I do anything else to test or reconfigure these drives?

I'm running firmware 1.05 I think it is a beta version, which I was trying because I got the Fan won't rotate error.

Thanks!

Hobson

• Level 1 Member
Re: Lost Volume_1 on a Raid5 setup after only 3 days!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »

I'm using the same WD20EARS drives and the 1.05b01 firmware.  After working fine for months (on previous firmware) all of a sudden it showed that it was rebuilding the RAID.  Access worked OK while it was rebuilding, but when it was finished, all the files appeared corrupt.

I could force it to rebuild again by rebooting it and again while that was happening I could back up the files.  But once it finished rebuilding...corrupt.

Status says the array is RAID5 and OK.  Maintenance SMART diagnostics report that 3 of 4 drives fail.  Disk scan says the volume is OK.  And Hard Drive Info says the drives are normal.  But they fail the SMART test and will start rebuilding the next time the unit is restarted (a controlled restart of course).

What is the deal here?   This product is really not ready for prime time.