• March 28, 2024, 08:29:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DNS-323 FTP behind DIR-655 router problem  (Read 25881 times)

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
DNS-323 FTP behind DIR-655 router problem
« on: October 18, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »

Hi people,

I just finished setting up my DNS-323...I tryed to configure the FTP server and access with my IP (to figure out if it would work for people outside the network). It keeps giving me this message;

Funny thing is, I only created one account with full R/W access from root. What is even more weird is that, I can log on by using my LAN IP without a problem. I tryed to disable SPI firewall, still no change. And yes, I've set up a virtual server (port 21, also tryed with 20) with static ip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PS: Is 1.06 a good FW or should I jump to 1.07? Does 1.07 have new utilities other than supporting Hitachi HDD?

Update; I'm behind a DIR-655 router, I'm suspecting it might be a problem from the router itself...Bad FW flash.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:47:35 PM by P01arBear »
DWA-552 Atheros 9.2.0.105 driver w/ ANT24-0230
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
Re: Just another case of FTP access error...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:59:50 PM »

After reading on the web about similar problems for the past 4-5 hours...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the problem is from the out going information on port 20 wich is bloqued by the router and this can ONLY be corrected with funplug.

If D-Link hasn't took the time to test products and make sure that they are compatible with each other, then my DNS323 is back in the box and refunded in the next hour. I'm not interested at all in 3rd party plugins like fun_plug.

Hope I'm wrong.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:31:32 AM by P01arBear »
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:20:10 PM »

FTP software configuration error no doubt, have you tried open IE and typing in ftp://(your wan ip address)

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:21:54 PM »

Also jump to firmware 1.08b5

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:13:18 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the problem is from the out going information on port 20 wich is bloqued by the router and this can ONLY be corrected with funplug.

I'd say you're wrong - but then you expect to give you the details as to the hows & whys, which I don't particularly feel like doing, so let me put it this way ...

1) your router won't block ANY outgoing connection UNLESS you specifically tell it to.
2) mine works without using fun_plug.
3) research active & passive mode ftp - as a matter of fact - research ftp in general

And to give you a further hint as to which area to focus on - there is a higher than average probability that the ftp connection which you think is being blocked by your router is actually being blocked by the router at the client side.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 05:28:16 AM »

FTP software configuration error no doubt, have you tried open IE and typing in ftp://(your wan ip address)

When I use the wan IP, it works fine. That is why I'm guessing the problem is from the router, because when I use my web IP, then it blocks.

Also jump to firmware 1.08b5
Have put on 1.07, but will try 1.08 today. Thanks!

Quote from: fordem
I'd say you're wrong - but then you expect to give you the details as to the hows & whys, which I don't particularly feel like doing, so let me put it this way ...

1) your router won't block ANY outgoing connection UNLESS you specifically tell it to.
2) mine works without using fun_plug.
3) research active & passive mode ftp - as a matter of fact - research ftp in general

And to give you a further hint as to which area to focus on - there is a higher than average probability that the ftp connection which you think is being blocked by your router is actually being blocked by the router at the client side.

Well, if I'm going with this idea, it's because it is said on most forums than the DNS-323 cannot fonction without fun_plug behind a DIR-655 router for the reason mentionned above. I've searched active and passive mode, and still...On the forums they say the only way the DNS-323 can be changed is by using fun_plug. I don't see "how" the client could be blocking since, there are very few settings to change on the DNS-323 at first sight, and I've flashed both my DNS-323 and DIR-655 with no change from the factory settings...The ONLY rule I've set up was a virtual server on port 21 towards my DNS-323. On the other hand, I'm glad to hear you have yours working without the fun_plug.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I'll try FW 1.08 after work.

Thanks, keep the info coming.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:31:32 AM by P01arBear »
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:31:41 AM »

I've used FTP over the Internet from my DNS-323 through my Actiontec MI424WR Verizon FiOS router without any problems.  All I did was forward port 21 to allow access to it.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 06:29:02 AM »

I've used FTP over the Internet from my DNS-323 through my Actiontec MI424WR Verizon FiOS router without any problems.  All I did was forward port 21 to allow access to it.

It might be specific to DIR-655 router. I was thinking about SPI firewall that would create a conflict, but when disabled still had the same problem.

Wich firmware are you using on the DNS? I've seen that on 1.08 you can edit the passive ports, that might help but I'll check it after work.
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 06:38:43 AM »

Well, I have 8.08b5, but I've been using FTP for a long time, I know it worked fine with 1.06.

You can edit the passive ports on 1.08, but I left mine at the defaults.

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 06:43:53 AM »

So then I guess the problem is really from the router itself, wich I assumed since it was accessible with my wan IP but not from my web IP.

Maybe a tech could try a DNS behind a DIR-655 and give me tips? Would appreciate it.

Actual settings:
Router DIR-655 FW 1.21, only rule is virtual server port 21 towards the DNS. SPI active, DHCP reserve for DNS.
DNS-323 FW 1.07, has only 1 ftp account with full access R/W.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:44:16 AM by P01arBear »
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 06:48:35 AM »

Well, D-Link should have both of those pieces in-house for a test.  ;D

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »

Well, D-Link should have both of those pieces in-house for a test.  ;D

Well, that is kind of what I'm hoping for...
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 08:04:44 AM »

When I use the wan IP, it works fine. That is why I'm guessing the problem is from the router, because when I use my web IP, then it blocks.

What do YOU mean by wan ip & web ip?  Most of us don't have a WAN that is not the world wide web - do you mean LAN ip and WAN ip - so to speak one internal, the other external?

Are you trying to test access using the public ip from within the same network, I would strongly suggest you test from a different public ip.

Have put on 1.07, but will try 1.08 today. Thanks!
I've been using the ftp server from outside the LAN since fw1.03, it does have quirks, but it does work.

if I'm going with this idea, it's because it is said on most forums than the DNS-323 cannot fonction without fun_plug behind a DIR-655 router for the reason mentionned above. I've searched active and passive mode, and still...On the forums they say the only way the DNS-323 can be changed is by using fun_plug. I don't see "how" the client could be blocking since, there are very few settings to change on the DNS-323 at first sight, and I've flashed both my DNS-323 and DIR-655 with no change from the factory settings...The ONLY rule I've set up was a virtual server on port 21 towards my DNS-323. On the other hand, I'm glad to hear you have yours working without the fun_plug.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I'll try FW 1.08 after work.

Thanks, keep the info coming.

You see - that's the problem with fora - any one come along and post anything, and often in support related fora what you find is post from a lot of frustrated and sometimes misguided folks who don't necessarily know what they're doing, just that it doesn't work, the way they think it should.

I will make this as a statement of fact, based on personal experience - the ftp server in the DNS-323 can be accessed from the internet using active ftp with any of the firmware versions from 1.03 coming forward, without the use of any third party add-ins or tricks (I'll exclude the 1.08 betas, for no other reason than I have not tested the ftp server in those) and you should be able to do it with the DNS-323 behind any consumer grade NAT router and with only port 21 forwarded.

The potential problem areas are whether or not your ISP is blocking port 21 to prevent an ftp server from being used AND the NAT firewall router at the client side.

On a number of occasions - in this forum, and at least one other, I have offered to assist in the testing and in every case but one I was able to access the DNS-323 - so, if you'd like, PM me the URL or public ip your router is at along with the security details and I'll take a look at it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:09:07 AM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
Re: Tech needed: DNS-323 FTP behind DIR-655 router problem
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 08:50:17 AM »

Could you explain how to switch the modes of ftp Active/Passive? I don't see anything about that.

When I mentioned WAN IP, i meant my external - public IP (sorry, my main language is french...I'm a bit rusty). So yes, I can access it using my 192.168.0.xxx IP, but not using my public IP.

Quote from: fordem
The potential problem areas are whether or not your ISP is blocking port 21 to prevent an ftp server from being used AND the NAT firewall router at the client side.
For sure, my ISP isn't blocking the port since I was using a software ftp program before with no problem. But about the NAT client side settings, how do I set that up? I've put rules in exept virtual server port 21 towards the DNS.

Thanks for the info
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:54:01 AM by P01arBear »
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-323 FTP behind DIR-655 router problem
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »

The 1.08b5 software has settings for passive mode, don't know about earlier versions.  I had FTP working in earlier versions, but I just turned it on and it worked, so I didn't anguish over the detailed settings. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3