• March 28, 2024, 11:18:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: dir-655 allowing game traffic when it should not be doing so  (Read 20203 times)

buach

• Level 1 Member
Re: dir-655 allowing game traffic when it should not be doing so
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »

Yes all traffic outbound of the router is supposed to be allowed by default.  The problem is that in most games the server or other player you are connecting to will then try to contact you over a different and unrelated port, this is why port forwards are necessary for some games.  However it looks like the required ports (assuming the log above allows you to get online perfectly) are all outbound.

thanks for the above. nice and clear and helpful. sounds like my router is working the way it should.

and i hadn't thought of this before
The problem is that in most games the server or other player you are connecting to will then try to contact you over a different and unrelated port
, but it makes perfect sense.

and yes i seem to be online and fully communicating with the game server.

jupiter

Re: dir-655 allowing game traffic when it should not be doing so
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 11:37:42 AM »

hello,

i recently got a dlink dir655.

i have far cry, steam, and stalker installed, and i have not yet opened the ports necessary for these games to work online, but they do!!!!!!!!!

with my old router no game could get near the internet until i forwarded the ports. why is the dlink allowing traffic through? anybody else experienced this?

i have the dmz disabled, upnp is disabled, udp and tcp endpoint filtering are both set to Port And Address Restricted, and no ports have been opened in virtual server, port forwarding or application rules.

as far as i can see this should mean that these games should have their packets stopped at the router, but they are getting out to the games server, and the returning packets are being forwarded straight back to my machine.

is there something that i do not understand about this router? or is there a problem with it.

by the way i am in the uk so i am on the 1.03 firware (most recent). i have reinstalled the firmware about 3 times to check if this makes a difference, and restored all the settings manually each time, and still the same thing happens.

any ideas.

Outbound Connections (Clents) do not require portfowarding
Inbound Connections (servers) require portfowarding
Pages: 1 [2]