• April 17, 2024, 10:51:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Ethernet not seeing WAP  (Read 4277 times)

gkala

• Level 1 Member
Ethernet not seeing WAP
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:26:37 AM »

NOOB network question.  I have the COVR-1203 and it is connected and working fine.  Problem is that my wireless devices are picking up 192.168.0.xx address and my ethernet is on 192.168.1.xx.  The 2 networks can't see each other.  How do I correct this?

Thanks.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Ethernet not seeing WAP
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:28:22 AM »

Do you have another router? How is your network setup?

You need to have them all on the same subnet (192.168.0.xxx) to see each other.

gkala

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 08:32:05 AM »

Do you have another router? How is your network setup?

You need to have them all on the same subnet (192.168.0.xxx) to see each other.

It's plugged into my Verizon FIOS router.  I don't think I can switch the subnet on the FIOS router and I'm having no luck getting the COVR on 192.168.1.xx.  The FIOS router assigns a 192.168.1.xx address to the COVR, but the COVR DHCP distributes 192.168.0.xx addresses.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »

You need to put the Verizon router in Bridge mode and let the Covr distribute DHCP to your clients.

The Internet/WAN port of the Covr device connected to your router cannot receive the same IP address as it's local/LAN side (ie 192.168.1.1 -- 192.168.1.xxx to clients). It cannot work since it is a router.

If you want to add wireless to your verizon router, the Covr system is the wrong device. You need to get access point(s).

The covr devices are not simple access points. 1 of them has to act as a router. When connecting a router to another router the subnets need to be different and you will have double-NAT which can cause some issues.

gkala

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:49:03 AM »

Well, that stinks.  If I put the router in Bridge mode I lose my ethernet ports so that's not an option.  Guess this is going up for sale.  How is a home user supposed to understand that setup?  There's nothing in the description that indicates that this has to be your sole router.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »

There are Ethernet ports on the covr devices so you can purchase a switch to expand your Ethernet network.  The Covr systems are sold as routers but I can see how it is confusing.

gkala

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 09:13:22 AM »

That is actually a great solution.  Thanks for responding.  I have an 8 port gigabit switch available and will try that tonight.  That should definitely go into a sticky or FAQ. I think.  So switch the FIOS router to Bridge mode and add a switch to other side of main COVR device.

I'll post my results tomorrow.  Would love to remove the subpar FIOS router from the equation altogether.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »

Let us know if it works.

Internet ---  Verizon router (bridge mode) --- Covr point A  ---  Switch --  Ethernet devices. 

Wireless clients will connect to the covr points and will be able to talk to the Ethernet devices as well.

I do wish the quick install guide that comes with the covr system included this information and A LOT more information about how to set it up.

gkala

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »

So, after a bit of research, setting up my FIOS router as a bridge would have messed my set top boxes (direct access to the DVR and Video on demand). 

All I ended up doing is placing the switch on the main covr device and moving the ethernet cables from the router to the switch.  The set top boxes keep the router IP's which is fine because I don't connect to them with any other device on the network.  Is working great so far. 

Thanks for the direction.  This is what I was looking for.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 08:02:08 AM »

Great. Glad it worked out.